Looking for help with Innate abilities.

  • Toras
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2010
      In my game I have a series of eight spells that a Wizard can cast on his/her familiar once, and they endow the familiar with upgraded abilities on a permanent bases. For example with the first spell the familiars intelligence increases, and gains some form of special ability, such as a new innate spell. The problem I'm having is figuring out how to code something that lets me add these to an already created familiar. My thought was to use special kits that could add the abilities but I'm having problems figuring out how to code them. Any direction on this anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

      John.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2010

        If it's always eight you can do an ability, feat, or template that grants a pool or just bonus an abilitypool for the familiar. Any method will work it just depends on how you want to get it.

        Then the challenge is figuring out an ability for each thing that can be granted to the familiar. The issue with INT is the LOCK placed on it. You might be able to place a Variable on the Lock. Beyond that, any bonus tag will work.

        --
        Andrew

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 8, 2010
          Andrew,

          I was able to build the various enhancements using a series of TEMPLATE:CHOOSE setups. The way I have it coded currently is that you have to take each enhancement template in order and you can not take a later template until you've taken an earlier one. Within each template choosen you are then given a choice of templates that grant innate spells or special abilities. The part I'm having problems with is adding in the automatic INT boosts in the first 3 templates and then making that an option that can be choosen in the later ones. Any guidance you can provide regarding this, or the LOCK you mentioned in your previous responce?

          Thanks for any help you can provide.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 9, 2010
            Hi John,

            The issue with the stat is it is literally LOCKED to a certain number based upon the Master's Level and that takes a FIXED Number no variables per the Docs. I have a Feature Request to allow us to change that, until that is implemented you'll have to use a more complex method.

            In order to get this to work today, you would need to modify the Familiar Progression - either make your own, or change what we have. You'd want to place all the INT Locks into individual abilities, and trigger them to activate based upon the level and/or a modifier. Let me be very clear, this is a bit complicated to accomplish; you'll need to set up a Master Ability with Every interation of Intelligence _You Would Want_ the Familiar to ever be able to have and then have each ability have a PREVAREQ:YourNewVar,x , and then Set up that new Variable to be based upon the Level (Meaning you'll need to have a Bonus for each level) and then have your Template/Abilities that boost the Intelligence bonus this special variable.

            Again, you'll need the 'Intelligence Range' of a standard Familiar, and then the Bonus that it can have above and beyond that range. That's the way to accomplish what you want to do today.

            Andrew

            ________________________________
            I was able to build the various enhancements using a series of TEMPLATE:CHOOSE setups.  The way I have it coded currently is that you have to take each enhancement template in order and you can not take a later template until you've taken an earlier one.  Within each template choosen you are then given a choice of templates that grant innate spells or special abilities.  The part I'm having problems with is adding in the automatic INT boosts in the first 3 templates  and then making that an option that can be choosen in the later ones.  Any guidance you can provide regarding this, or the LOCK you mentioned in your previous responce?

            Thanks for any help you can provide.

            John.

            > If it's always eight you can do an ability, feat, or template that grants a pool or just bonus an abilitypool for the familiar. Any method will work it just depends on how you want to get it.
            >
            > Then the challenge is figuring out an ability for each thing that can be granted to the familiar. The issue with INT is the LOCK placed on it. You might be able to place a Variable on the Lock. Beyond that, any bonus tag will work.
            >
            > --
            > Andrew

          • Toras
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 9, 2010
              Andrew,

              Thanks for the information. I think I'll wait till the Feature Request goes through. :) Thanks for your help with this.