Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: Custom Data Upgrade Help for 5.16.2 to 5.17.3

    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 1, 2010
      Hi,

      The conversion finished, and those are the issues it found.

      CHOOSE:SHIELDPROF|TYPE=Light

      It's saying that's invalid, going strictly by memory, I think this is the correct method

      CHOOSE:SHIELDPROF|SHIELDTYPE=Light

      95test103 is the name of the Ability where it's finding the issue.

      Mind you, the new syntax would be

      CHOOSE:SHIELDPROFICIENCY

      See the wiki for the new options.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 1, 2010
        In regards to the PreReq stuff, would you care to elaborate. Is this LST side, or Code Side?

        How would this be better than the existing method?

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 1, 2010
          I don't know the precise definition of LST side or code side.

          I just think it would be more uniform and flexible if all prerequisites could be handled with a single

          PREQUISITE(boolean expression)

          tag.

          Then in LST files we could do any weird, complicated thing we liked such as

          PREREQUISITE(((CASTERLEVEL>=10).AND.(RACE=GIANT.OR.RACE=HUMAN)).OR.(CLASS<>RANGER))

          or whatever the correct variable and operator names that you defined, as well as precedence of operation.

          Allen

          > In regards to the PreReq stuff, would you care to elaborate. Is this LST side, or Code Side?
          >
          > How would this be better than the existing method?

        • Allen C
          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 1, 2010
            Which wiki are you refering to?

            And does it look like all these error messages relate to the same line of code?

            Thanks,
            Allen

            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 1, 2010
              LST side is how we make the data sets work

              JAVA is what the core programming language of the main program is.

              As a LST monkey one boolean operator makes it look easy to mess something up, and makes that really verbose in my opinion. Currently all the PRExxx tags are individual self contained items, easily tested and easily eyeballed. Looking at that, it appears order dependent. Not sure if we'd gain much in the way of performance there.

              I'm not a JAVA coder, so I can't speak on performance gains, but as a LST Chimp, I'm not really liking it. With the existing prexxx tags we can string them together in a premult if we need the AND or OR functions. And for debugging it's easier to isolate one issue with individual tags.

              --
              Andrew

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 1, 2010
                I can't speak to how often those errors are popping up, but a quick find of CHOOSE:SHIELDPROF should bring you to those cases.

                The only WIKI pcgen has is:

                wiki.pcgen.org

                Go to the Arch Team and scroll down to 5.17 roadmap changes. That will have the CHOOSE rebuild progress and what the new syntax is.

                --
                Andrew

                ________________________________
                And does it look like all these error messages relate to the same line of code?

                Thanks,
                Allen

                > The conversion finished, and those are the issues it found.
                >
                > CHOOSE:SHIELDPROF|TYPE=Light
                >
                > It's saying that's invalid, going strictly by memory, I think this is the correct method
                >
                > CHOOSE:SHIELDPROF|SHIELDTYPE=Light
                >
                > 95test103 is the name of the Ability where it's finding the issue.
                >
                > Mind you, the new syntax would be
                >
                > CHOOSE:SHIELDPROFICIENCY
                >
                > See the wiki for the new options.
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Allen C
                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 1, 2010
                  I find this other approach much more intuitive.

                  But since you and the team program lots more LST files that I do, it makes sense to defer to the power users.

                  Allen

                  > LST side is how we make the data sets work
                  >
                  > JAVA is what the core programming language of the main program is.
                  >
                  > As a LST monkey one boolean operator makes it look easy to mess something up, and makes that really verbose in my opinion. Currently all the PRExxx tags are individual self contained items, easily tested and easily eyeballed. Looking at that, it appears order dependent. Not sure if we'd gain much in the way of performance there.
                  >
                  > I'm not a JAVA coder, so I can't speak on performance gains, but as a LST Chimp, I'm not really liking it. With the existing prexxx tags we can string them together in a premult if we need the AND or OR functions. And for debugging it's easier to isolate one issue with individual tags.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Andrew

                • Allen C
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 1, 2010
                    OK...I found the appropriate wiki entry

                    http://wiki.pcgen.org/index.php?title=Unique_Primitive_CDOMObject_Proposals#CHOOSE:SHIELDPROFICIENCY

                    and am in the process of parsing it.

                    The original code generously suggested to me by folks on this list used the TYPE= syntax. So I'm finding the line

                    x = TYPE=w (w is a TYPE identifier for a ShieldProf ) - note that none of our ShieldProfs actually use TYPE: but this works anyway :)

                    confusing.

                    Allen

                    PS: I'm pretty sure the examples at the bottom are incorrect starting with CHOOSE:SHIELDPROF|Buckler,Tower Shield...shouldn't that be CHOOSE:SHIELDPROFICIENCY|Buckler,Tower Shield?

                    PPS: I noticed that this tag uses commas as AND operators and pipes as OR operators. As an occasional LST coder I find that so confusing because pipes are often delimitors (even in the very same tag!). And I vaguely recall that commas sometimes serve that function, too.

                    > I can't speak to how often those errors are popping up, but a quick find of CHOOSE:SHIELDPROF should bring you to those cases.
                    >
                    > The only WIKI pcgen has is:
                    >
                    > wiki.pcgen.org
                    >
                    > Go to the Arch Team and scroll down to 5.17 roadmap changes. That will have the CHOOSE rebuild progress and what the new syntax is.
                    >
                    > --
                    > Andrew
                  • thpr
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 1, 2010
                      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Allen C" <allen@...> wrote:
                      > PPS: I noticed that this tag uses commas as AND operators and pipes as OR operators. As an occasional LST coder I find that so confusing because pipes are often delimitors (even in the very same tag!). And I vaguely recall that commas sometimes serve that function, too.

                      Unfortunately, we had few choices. The problem is we don't have a data converter that can convert existing PCs (to change things like object names).

                      While that is something we can work toward, we need that in order to make the changes necessary to add more reserved characters. Without that work, we are stuck with the characters we have reserved in the past, and given that [] . and = are used as well in various places in CHOOSE, there wasn't much left...

                      I'd like to get to a more sensible syntax, and we may get there in the future, but one step at a time.

                      TP.
                    • thpr
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 1, 2010
                        Interesting catch.

                        CHOOSE:SHIELDPROF never worked in previous versions of PCGen, so no attempt was made to convert them automatically... primarily because there as no real restriction as to the syntax or definition of "what worked". I'm surprised any data has it.

                        The SHIELDTYPE= thing Andrew refers to is actually from AUTO:SHIELDPROF, not CHOOSE:SHIELDPROF.

                        TP.

                        Message 11 of 26 , Jun 1, 2010
                          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Allen C" <allen@...> wrote:
                          > I just think it would be more uniform and flexible if all prerequisites could be handled with a single
                          >
                          > PREQUISITE(boolean expression)
                          >
                          > tag.

                          For the moment, the PRExxx tokens are still the "old" style tokens (meaning there is less error checking among other things). That difference alone makes considering something like this a future project. While I'm not sure of the syntax, the concept (of a boolean PRE) isn't completely out of the realm of possibility.

                          TP.
                        • thpr
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jun 1, 2010
                            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Allen C" <allen@...> wrote:

                            > It sounds like all the problem is in my feats.lst file. Does "95Test103" mean anything, such as "the error is in line 95"?

                            Yes, it should be line 95. I should clean up the name to be more meaningful.

                            the 103 means it's item 103 to be converted, but keep in mind that each tab separates an item, so 4 tabs will result in 3 "items" in the "empty space" between those tabs... so the 103 is probably a bit meaningless (or hard to trace)...

                            TP.
                          • thpr
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 1, 2010
                              Actually I just looked and this is a code bug in how it is delegated to the "new" token.

                              TP.

                              --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Allen C" <allen@...> wrote:

                              > OK, I sort of understand now.
                              >
                              > I attempted to only convert my custom files and got the following messages:
                              >
                              > file:/C:/Program%20Files/PCGen/PCGen5173/data/customsources/35e/marksworld%203.5/allencohn_feats.lst
                              > LSTWARN CHOOSE:SHIELDPROF has been deprecated,please use CHOOSE:SHIELDPROFICIENCY|EQUIPMENT[x]
                              > LSTERROR Illegal SHIELDPROF subtoken 'SHIELDPROFICIENCY' 'EQUIPMENT[TYPE=Buckler|TYPE=Light|TYPE=Heavy]' for 95Test103
                              > LSTERROR Failed in parsing subtoken: SHIELDPROF of TYPE=Buckler|TYPE=Light|TYPE=Heavy
                              > LSTERROR Illegal CHOOSE subtoken 'SHIELDPROF' 'TYPE=Buckler|TYPE=Light|TYPE=Heavy' for 95Test103
                              > LSTERROR CHOOSE:RACE not compatible
                              > LSTERROR Illegal Token 'CHOOSE' 'SHIELDPROF|TYPE=Buckler|TYPE=Light|TYPE=Heavy' for pcgen.core.Ability 95Test103
                              > SEVERE Unable to unparse: CHOOSE:SHIELDPROF|TYPE=Buckler|TYPE=Light|TYPE=Heavy
                              >
                              > Conversion complete, press next button to finish...
                              >
                              > It sounds like all the problem is in my feats.lst file. Does "95Test103" mean anything, such as "the error is in line 95"?
                              >
                              > Thanks,
                              > Allen
                              >

                              > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > batch-covert.jar is the correct item.
                              > >
                              > > You don't covert by directory, you covert by campaigns (aka data set name the pcc has). If you should do them a couple at a time, unless you are giving the converter enough memory to work with.
                              > >
                              > > Try again without all the campaigns set or an entire directory and just do a few at a time and it should work much easier for you.
                              > >
                              > > Cheers,
                              > >
                              > > --
                              > > Andrew

                            • Allen C
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jun 1, 2010
                                Thanks for your note, but I don't quite understand...

                                Do you mean code bug in my LST file, in PCGen, or in the conversion program?

                                Many thanks,
                                Allen

                                --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "thpr" <thpr@...> wrote:

                                > Actually I just looked and this is a code bug in how it is delegated to the "new" token.
                                >
                                > TP.
                                >
                                > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Allen C" <allen@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > OK, I sort of understand now.
                                > >
                                > > I attempted to only convert my custom files and got the following messages:
                                > >
                                > > file:/C:/Program%20Files/PCGen/PCGen5173/data/customsources/35e/marksworld%203.5/allencohn_feats.lst
                                > > LSTWARN CHOOSE:SHIELDPROF has been deprecated,please use CHOOSE:SHIELDPROFICIENCY|EQUIPMENT[x]
                                > > LSTERROR Illegal SHIELDPROF subtoken 'SHIELDPROFICIENCY' 'EQUIPMENT[TYPE=Buckler|TYPE=Light|TYPE=Heavy]' for 95Test103
                                > > LSTERROR Failed in parsing subtoken: SHIELDPROF of TYPE=Buckler|TYPE=Light|TYPE=Heavy
                                > > LSTERROR Illegal CHOOSE subtoken 'SHIELDPROF' 'TYPE=Buckler|TYPE=Light|TYPE=Heavy' for 95Test103
                                > > LSTERROR CHOOSE:RACE not compatible
                                > > LSTERROR Illegal Token 'CHOOSE' 'SHIELDPROF|TYPE=Buckler|TYPE=Light|TYPE=Heavy' for pcgen.core.Ability 95Test103
                                > > SEVERE Unable to unparse: CHOOSE:SHIELDPROF|TYPE=Buckler|TYPE=Light|TYPE=Heavy
                                > >
                                > > Conversion complete, press next button to finish...
                                > >
                                > > It sounds like all the problem is in my feats.lst file. Does "95Test103" mean anything, such as "the error is in line 95"?
                                > >
                                > > Thanks,
                                > > Allen

                              • thpr
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jun 2, 2010
                                  Code bug in PCGen which also impacts the converter. I fixed it last night, and will be available in 5.17.4

                                  TP.

                                  --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Allen C" <allen@...> wrote:

                                  > Thanks for your note, but I don't quite understand...
                                  >
                                  > Do you mean code bug in my LST file, in PCGen, or in the conversion program?
                                  >
                                  > Many thanks,
                                  > Allen
                                  >
                                  > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "thpr" <thpr@> wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > > Actually I just looked and this is a code bug in how it is delegated to the "new" token.
                                  > >
                                  > > TP.
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Allen C" <allen@> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > OK, I sort of understand now.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I attempted to only convert my custom files and got the following messages:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > file:/C:/Program%20Files/PCGen/PCGen5173/data/customsources/35e/marksworld%203.5/allencohn_feats.lst
                                  > > > LSTWARN CHOOSE:SHIELDPROF has been deprecated,please use CHOOSE:SHIELDPROFICIENCY|EQUIPMENT[x]
                                  > > > LSTERROR Illegal SHIELDPROF subtoken 'SHIELDPROFICIENCY' 'EQUIPMENT[TYPE=Buckler|TYPE=Light|TYPE=Heavy]' for 95Test103
                                  > > > LSTERROR Failed in parsing subtoken: SHIELDPROF of TYPE=Buckler|TYPE=Light|TYPE=Heavy
                                  > > > LSTERROR Illegal CHOOSE subtoken 'SHIELDPROF' 'TYPE=Buckler|TYPE=Light|TYPE=Heavy' for 95Test103
                                  > > > LSTERROR CHOOSE:RACE not compatible
                                  > > > LSTERROR Illegal Token 'CHOOSE' 'SHIELDPROF|TYPE=Buckler|TYPE=Light|TYPE=Heavy' for pcgen.core.Ability 95Test103
                                  > > > SEVERE Unable to unparse: CHOOSE:SHIELDPROF|TYPE=Buckler|TYPE=Light|TYPE=Heavy
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Conversion complete, press next button to finish...
                                  > > >
                                  > > > It sounds like all the problem is in my feats.lst file. Does "95Test103" mean anything, such as "the error is in line 95"?
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Thanks,
                                  > > > Allen

                                • Allen C
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jun 2, 2010