Custom Data Upgrade Help for 5.16.2 to 5.17.3

  • Allen C
    Message 1 of 26 , May 31, 2010
      I thought I'd see what all the cool kids were doing and try 5.17.3. I'm late to the party, so maybe this has been discussed before, but...

      When I load it all by itself, it produces 46 LSTWARNs Is it supposed to do that? The vast majority concerned the CHOOSE tag (of which I only have a dim understanding).

      What's worse, it doesn't seem to point to which file(s) these issues are in. (I vaguely recall that it used to indicated this...)

      When I add in my custom dataset, five LSTERRORs show up. Again, I don't know which files they are in.

      Are there aids (instruction essays, automated tools) to convert/upgrade data?

      Thanks,
      Allen
      Message 2 of 26 , May 31, 2010
        Hi Allen,

        LSTWarnings should all be CHOOSE deprecation messages from the CHOOSE Rebuild Tom Parker has implemented, among other things. You can use the Data Converter and it'll fix pretty much all those for you. ;)

        Just a warning though. You can't convert backwards, so if you take that step you won't be able to use that data in 5.16.2 without a bunch of LSTErrors (Which are the bad ones). I'd recommend backing up your data if you want to play with it.

        Though the nice thing about 5.17.3 is it's caught a few errors and brought some hidden bugs to light. Oh, and welcome to the "Cool Kids Club" ;)

        --
        Andrew

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 26 , May 31, 2010
          Yes, most, not all of the problems are CHOOSE related.

          How do I know which files the problems are in? (The load screen no longer seems to indicate that.) My files? the distributed files (And I am surprised the SRD files distributed without being fixed...)

          And where is this Data Converter? Does it have documentation? What do I need to run it?

          Thanks.

          Cool-Kid-In-Process
          Allen

          Message 4 of 26 , May 31, 2010
            The converter is in the same pcgen folder where pcgen is installed.

            It really doesn't need much explanation. Load it up, choose the gamemode, choose the data sets you want converted, choose where the converted files are saved. Pretty self contained and easy to figure out.

            The Error message Details have been having transition problems. If you could note Which Items aren't giving you a proper location I can tracker it and one of the Code monkeys can fix that.

            Given the amount of work under the hood that the core has seen, I'm surprised it's been going as good as things have.

            All the major systems got an overhaul - CHOOSE is almost done; BONUS is partially done adn due for another good round once CHOOSE is finished; converting to a Facet System and untangling years of tangled code to make each token a self contained module that doesn't affect the other systems has been a lot of intense work. Us "Cool Kids" need to keep up and let the Code Team know of any bugs we find so they can correct it. Since the behavior has changed it has meant a few issues have slipped through the cracks.

            The end result is a lean and efficient program, with easier customization and improvements. And not a few more performance boosts...

            --
            Andrew

            ________________________________
            Yes, most, not all of the problems are CHOOSE related.

            How do I know which files the problems are in? (The load screen no longer seems to indicate that.) My files? the distributed files (And I am surprised the SRD files distributed without being fixed...)

            And where is this Data Converter? Does it have documentation? What do I need to run it?

            Thanks.

            Cool-Kid-In-Process
            Allen

            > Hi Allen,
            >
            > LSTWarnings should all be CHOOSE deprecation messages from the CHOOSE Rebuild Tom Parker has implemented, among other things. You can use the Data Converter and it'll fix pretty much all those for you. ;)
            >
            > Just a warning though. You can't convert backwards, so if you take that step you won't be able to use that data in 5.16.2 without a bunch of LSTErrors (Which are the bad ones). I'd recommend backing up your data if you want to play with it.
            >
            > Though the nice thing about 5.17.3 is it's caught a few errors and brought some hidden bugs to light. Oh, and welcome to the "Cool Kids Club" ;)
            >
            > --
            > Andrew

          • Eddy Anthony
            Message 5 of 26 , May 31, 2010
              Allen C scribed:

              > How do I know which files the problems are in? (The load screen no longer
              > seems to indicate that.) My files? the distributed files (And I am surprised
              > the SRD files distributed without being fixed...)

              To be clear the error messages are deprecation warnings, the old tags should
              still work, it's just that there is now newer syntax to do the job.
              Eventually the old syntax will be removed but usually not before at least
              one production release has been completed.
              --
              ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
              ~ PCGen Data, Docs & Tracker Chimp
              Message 6 of 26 , May 31, 2010
                Hi again,

                First of all, I'm continously grateful to all the coders. It would be *so* much more difficult to run my 3.5 campaign without PCGen to create and advance all the monsters.

                I found batch-convert.jar, which I think is what you're referring to. If I understand the procedure correctly, I'm supposed to one-by-one convert each subdirectory within data/d20ogl/srd35 to new locations and then replace the old subdirectories with the converted ones. (I tried simply pointing to the parent directory but that didn't seem to work; at least it didn't create a parallel subdirectory structure in the target folder.)

                It also asked for which "campaign" I wanted to convert. I didn't understand that. I wanted it to convert all the LST code I had pointed to.

                Overall, I couldn't get it to work. The converter didn't repaint its own screen properly so when it was done (or crashed, I don't know which) I couldn't see the screen. For the brief period I watched it work (it took a while, so I walked away to have breakfast) it seemed to find a few errors among the stuff that it could fix.

                Hopefully a future version of 5.17 will just have the updated data set with it... I can wait.

                Allen

                PS: If you really want a lean and efficient program, I still think you should replace all the PRExxx tags with a single PREREQUISITE(logical expression) tag. That would probably be much more uniform and flexible.

                Message 7 of 26 , May 31, 2010
                  batch-covert.jar is the correct item.

                  You don't covert by directory, you covert by campaigns (aka data set name the pcc has). If you should do them a couple at a time, unless you are giving the converter enough memory to work with.

                  Try again without all the campaigns set or an entire directory and just do a few at a time and it should work much easier for you.

                  Andrew

                  ________________________________
                  First of all, I'm continously grateful to all the coders. It would be *so* much more difficult to run my 3.5 campaign without PCGen to create and advance all the monsters.

                  I found batch-convert.jar, which I think is what you're referring to. If I understand the procedure correctly, I'm supposed to one-by-one convert each subdirectory within data/d20ogl/srd35 to new locations and then replace the old subdirectories with the converted ones. (I tried simply pointing to the parent directory but that didn't seem to work; at least it didn't create a parallel subdirectory structure in the target folder.)

                  It also asked for which "campaign" I wanted to convert. I didn't understand that. I wanted it to convert all the LST code I had pointed to.

                  Overall, I couldn't get it to work. The converter didn't repaint its own screen properly so when it was done (or crashed, I don't know which) I couldn't see the screen. For the brief period I watched it work (it took a while, so I walked away to have breakfast) it seemed to find a few errors among the stuff that it could fix.

                  Hopefully a future version of 5.17 will just have the updated data set with it... I can wait.

                  Allen

                  PS: If you really want a lean and efficient program, I still think you should replace all the PRExxx tags with a single PREREQUISITE(logical expression) tag. That would probably be much more uniform and flexible.

                  > The converter is in the same pcgen folder where pcgen is installed.
                  >
                  > It really doesn't need much explanation. Load it up, choose the gamemode, choose the data sets you want converted, choose where the converted files are saved. Pretty self contained and easy to figure out.
                  >
                  > The Error message Details have been having transition problems. If you could note Which Items aren't giving you a proper location I can tracker it and one of the Code monkeys can fix that.
                  >
                  > Given the amount of work under the hood that the core has seen, I'm surprised it's been going as good as things have.
                  >
                  > All the major systems got an overhaul - CHOOSE is almost done; BONUS is partially done adn due for another good round once CHOOSE is finished; converting to a Facet System and untangling years of tangled code to make each token a self contained module that doesn't affect the other systems has been a lot of intense work. Us "Cool Kids" need to keep up and let the Code Team know of any bugs we find so they can correct it. Since the behavior has changed it has meant a few issues have slipped through the cracks.
                  >
                  > The end result is a lean and efficient program, with easier customization and improvements. And not a few more performance boosts...
                  >
                  > --
                  > Andrew

                • Allen C
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 31, 2010
                    OK...

                    So the warnings I received on SRD 3.5 are below. Even though they're warnings, they sound ominous to me, such as the ones with illegal characters (commas--will that screw up my old PCG files?) or "You may also need AUTO:LANG if used in a skill".

                    Are you pretty sure I can ignore them for now?

                    Many thanks,
                    Allen

                    --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@...> wrote:

                    > Allen C scribed:
                    >
                    > > How do I know which files the problems are in? (The load screen no longer
                    > > seems to indicate that.) My files? the distributed files (And I am surprised
                    > > the SRD files distributed without being fixed...)
                    >
                    > To be clear the error messages are deprecation warnings, the old tags should
                    > still work, it's just that there is now newer syntax to do the job.
                    > Eventually the old syntax will be removed but usually not before at least
                    > one production release has been completed.
                    > --
                    > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                    > ~ PCGen Data, Docs & Tracker Chimp
                    > ~ Outputsheet Tamarin & Mac build guru

                    LSTWARN CHOOSE:LANGUAGE has been deprecated,please use CHOOSE:LANG. You may also need AUTO:LANG if used in a skill
                    LSTWARN CHOOSE:FEAT= has been deprecated, please use a CHOOSE of the appropriate type with the FEAT= primitive, e.g. CHOOSE:WEAPONPROFICIENCY|FEAT=Weapon Focus
                    LSTWARN CHOOSE:WEAPONPROFS has been deprecated,please use CHOOSE:WEAPONPROFICIENCY|
                    LSTWARN CHOOSE:PROFICIENCY|WEAPON has been deprecated,please use CHOOSE:WEAPONPROFICIENCY|...
                    LSTWARN CHOOSE:FEAT= has been deprecated, please use a CHOOSE of the appropriate type with the FEAT= primitive, e.g. CHOOSE:WEAPONPROFICIENCY|FEAT=Weapon Focus
                    LSTWARN CHOOSE:FEAT= has been deprecated, please use a CHOOSE of the appropriate type with the FEAT= primitive, e.g. CHOOSE:WEAPONPROFICIENCY|FEAT=Weapon Focus
                    LSTWARN CHOOSE:FEAT= has been deprecated, please use a CHOOSE of the appropriate type with the FEAT= primitive, e.g. CHOOSE:WEAPONPROFICIENCY|FEAT=Weapon Focus
                    LSTWARN CHOOSE:WEAPONPROFS has been deprecated,please use CHOOSE:WEAPONPROFICIENCY|
                    LSTWARN CHOOSE:PROFICIENCY|WEAPON has been deprecated,please use CHOOSE:WEAPONPROFICIENCY|...
                    LSTWARN CHOOSE:WEAPONPROFS has been deprecated,please use CHOOSE:WEAPONPROFICIENCY|
                    LSTWARN CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMED has been deprecated,please use CHOOSE:SKILL|
                    LSTWARN CHOOSE:SCHOOLS with no argument has been deprecated
                    LSTWARN CHOOSE:WEAPONPROFS has been deprecated,please use CHOOSE:WEAPONPROFICIENCY|
                    LSTWARN CHOOSE:FEAT= has been deprecated, please use a CHOOSE of the appropriate type with the FEAT= primitive, e.g. CHOOSE:WEAPONPROFICIENCY|FEAT=Weapon Focus
                    LSTWARN CHOOSE:FEAT= has been deprecated, please use a CHOOSE of the appropriate type with the FEAT= primitive, e.g. CHOOSE:WEAPONPROFICIENCY|FEAT=Weapon Focus
                    LSTWARN CHOOSE:FEATLIST has been deprecated,please use CHOOSE:FEAT|PC[x]
[...]
                    LSTWARN CHOOSE:SPELLCLASSES has been deprecated,please use CHOOSE:CLASS|SPELLCASTER
                    LSTWARN CHOOSE:SPELLCLASSES has been deprecated,please use CHOOSE:CLASS|SPELLCASTER
                    LSTWARN CHOOSE:SPELLCLASSES has been deprecated,please use CHOOSE:CLASS|SPELLCASTER
                    LSTWARN CHOOSE:STAT has been deprecated,please use CHOOSE:PCSTAT
                    LSTWARN CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMED has been deprecated,please use CHOOSE:SKILL|
                    LSTWARN CHOOSE:SCHOOLS with no argument has been deprecated
                    LSTWARN CHOOSE:WEAPONPROFS has been deprecated,please use CHOOSE:WEAPONPROFICIENCY|
                    LSTWARN CHOOSE:WEAPONPROFS has been deprecated,please use CHOOSE:WEAPONPROFICIENCY|
                    LSTWARN CHOOSE:WEAPONPROF is deprecated,please use CHOOSE:WEAPONPROFICIENCY
                    LSTWARN You need AUTO:FEAT|Weapon Focus(%LIST) as [FEAT=Weapon Focus] is used
                    LSTWARN You need AUTO:WEAPONPROF|%LIST as [WEAPONPROF] is used
                    LSTWARN CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMED has been deprecated,please use CHOOSE:SKILL|
                    LSTWARN Found Spell with KEY: Burrow, Mass which contains a comma (prohibited character in a key)
                    LSTWARN Found Spell with KEY: Camouflage, Mass which contains a comma (prohibited character in a key)
                    LSTWARN Found Spell with KEY: Magic Fang, Superior which contains a comma (prohibited character in a key)
                    LSTWARN Found Spell with KEY: Snowshoes, Mass which contains a comma (prohibited character in a key)
                    LSTWARN Found Spell with KEY: Surefooted Stride, Mass which contains a comma (prohibited character in a key)
                    LSTWARN Found Spell with KEY: Vigor, Lesser which contains a comma (prohibited character in a key)
                    All Done
                  • Allen C
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 31, 2010
                      OK, I sort of understand now.

                      I attempted to only convert my custom files and got the following messages:

                      file:/C:/Program%20Files/PCGen/PCGen5173/data/customsources/35e/marksworld%203.5/allencohn_feats.lst
                      LSTWARN CHOOSE:SHIELDPROF has been deprecated,please use CHOOSE:SHIELDPROFICIENCY|EQUIPMENT[x]
                      LSTERROR Illegal SHIELDPROF subtoken 'SHIELDPROFICIENCY' 'EQUIPMENT[TYPE=Buckler|TYPE=Light|TYPE=Heavy]' for 95Test103
                      LSTERROR Failed in parsing subtoken: SHIELDPROF of TYPE=Buckler|TYPE=Light|TYPE=Heavy
                      LSTERROR Illegal CHOOSE subtoken 'SHIELDPROF' 'TYPE=Buckler|TYPE=Light|TYPE=Heavy' for 95Test103
                      LSTERROR CHOOSE:RACE not compatible
                      LSTERROR Illegal Token 'CHOOSE' 'SHIELDPROF|TYPE=Buckler|TYPE=Light|TYPE=Heavy' for pcgen.core.Ability 95Test103
                      SEVERE Unable to unparse: CHOOSE:SHIELDPROF|TYPE=Buckler|TYPE=Light|TYPE=Heavy

                      Conversion complete, press next button to finish...

                      It sounds like all the problem is in my feats.lst file. Does "95Test103" mean anything, such as "the error is in line 95"?

                      Thanks,
                      Allen

                      Message 10 of 26 , May 31, 2010
                        Commas do not belong in many places as they are used as a delimiter.

                        For the Rule Of Thumb,
                        Commas are always allowed in OUTPUTNAME, never in KEY and Allowed in a Name ONLY if you are using a KEY. If that is too complex to remember, then always use OUTPUTNAME for any name you want to have a Comma and no where else.

                        For all those spells

                        'Spell, Lesser' should be

                        Spell (Lesser) <tab> OUTPUTNAME:Spell, Lesser

                        Do that to all your spells, and those warnings will go away.

                        You can also use Commas in DESC and BENEFIT tags.

                        Hopefully that makes sense to you.

                        Cheers,

                        Andrew

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 26 , Jun 1, 2010
                          Hi,

                          The conversion finished, and those are the issues it found.

                          CHOOSE:SHIELDPROF|TYPE=Light

                          It's saying that's invalid, going strictly by memory, I think this is the correct method

                          CHOOSE:SHIELDPROF|SHIELDTYPE=Light

                          95test103 is the name of the Ability where it's finding the issue.

                          Mind you, the new syntax would be

                          CHOOSE:SHIELDPROFICIENCY

                          See the wiki for the new options.

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 26 , Jun 1, 2010
                            In regards to the PreReq stuff, would you care to elaborate. Is this LST side, or Code Side?

                            How would this be better than the existing method?

                            ________________________________
                            First of all, I'm continously grateful to all the coders. It would be *so* much more difficult to run my 3.5 campaign without PCGen to create and advance all the monsters.

                            I found batch-convert.jar, which I think is what you're referring to. If I understand the procedure correctly, I'm supposed to one-by-one convert each subdirectory within data/d20ogl/srd35 to new locations and then replace the old subdirectories with the converted ones. (I tried simply pointing to the parent directory but that didn't seem to work; at least it didn't create a parallel subdirectory structure in the target folder.)

                            It also asked for which "campaign" I wanted to convert. I didn't understand that. I wanted it to convert all the LST code I had pointed to.

                            Overall, I couldn't get it to work. The converter didn't repaint its own screen properly so when it was done (or crashed, I don't know which) I couldn't see the screen. For the brief period I watched it work (it took a while, so I walked away to have breakfast) it seemed to find a few errors among the stuff that it could fix.

                            Hopefully a future version of 5.17 will just have the updated data set with it... I can wait.

                            Allen

                            PS: If you really want a lean and efficient program, I still think you should replace all the PRExxx tags with a single PREREQUISITE(logical expression) tag. That would probably be much more uniform and flexible.

                            > The converter is in the same pcgen folder where pcgen is installed.
                            >
                            > It really doesn't need much explanation. Load it up, choose the gamemode, choose the data sets you want converted, choose where the converted files are saved. Pretty self contained and easy to figure out.
                            >
                            > The Error message Details have been having transition problems. If you could note Which Items aren't giving you a proper location I can tracker it and one of the Code monkeys can fix that.
                            >
                            > Given the amount of work under the hood that the core has seen, I'm surprised it's been going as good as things have.
                            >
                            > All the major systems got an overhaul - CHOOSE is almost done; BONUS is partially done adn due for another good round once CHOOSE is finished; converting to a Facet System and untangling years of tangled code to make each token a self contained module that doesn't affect the other systems has been a lot of intense work. Us "Cool Kids" need to keep up and let the Code Team know of any bugs we find so they can correct it. Since the behavior has changed it has meant a few issues have slipped through the cracks.
                            >
                            > The end result is a lean and efficient program, with easier customization and improvements. And not a few more performance boosts...
                            >
                            > --
                            > Andrew

                          • Allen C
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 1, 2010
                              I don't know the precise definition of LST side or code side.

                              I just think it would be more uniform and flexible if all prerequisites could be handled with a single

                              PREQUISITE(boolean expression)

                              tag.

                              Then in LST files we could do any weird, complicated thing we liked such as

                              PREREQUISITE(((CASTERLEVEL>=10).AND.(RACE=GIANT.OR.RACE=HUMAN)).OR.(CLASS<>RANGER))

                              or whatever the correct variable and operator names that you defined, as well as precedence of operation.

                              Allen

                              Message 14 of 26 , Jun 1, 2010
                                Which wiki are you refering to?

                                And does it look like all these error messages relate to the same line of code?

                                Thanks,
                                Allen

                                Message 15 of 26 , Jun 1, 2010
                                  LST side is how we make the data sets work

                                  JAVA is what the core programming language of the main program is.

                                  As a LST monkey one boolean operator makes it look easy to mess something up, and makes that really verbose in my opinion. Currently all the PRExxx tags are individual self contained items, easily tested and easily eyeballed. Looking at that, it appears order dependent. Not sure if we'd gain much in the way of performance there.

                                  I'm not a JAVA coder, so I can't speak on performance gains, but as a LST Chimp, I'm not really liking it. With the existing prexxx tags we can string them together in a premult if we need the AND or OR functions. And for debugging it's easier to isolate one issue with individual tags.

                                  --
                                  Andrew

                                  ________________________________

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jun 1, 2010
                                    I can't speak to how often those errors are popping up, but a quick find of CHOOSE:SHIELDPROF should bring you to those cases.

                                    The only WIKI pcgen has is:

                                    wiki.pcgen.org

                                    Go to the Arch Team and scroll down to 5.17 roadmap changes. That will have the CHOOSE rebuild progress and what the new syntax is.

                                    --
                                    Andrew

                                    ________________________________
                                    And does it look like all these error messages relate to the same line of code?

                                    Thanks,
                                    Allen

                                    > The conversion finished, and those are the issues it found.
                                    >
                                    > CHOOSE:SHIELDPROF|TYPE=Light
                                    >
                                    > It's saying that's invalid, going strictly by memory, I think this is the correct method
                                    >
                                    > CHOOSE:SHIELDPROF|SHIELDTYPE=Light
                                    >
                                    > 95test103 is the name of the Ability where it's finding the issue.
                                    >
                                    > Mind you, the new syntax would be
                                    >
                                    > CHOOSE:SHIELDPROFICIENCY
                                    >
                                    > See the wiki for the new options.
                                    >

                                    > ________________________________

                                  • Allen C
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jun 1, 2010
                                      I find this other approach much more intuitive.

                                      But since you and the team program lots more LST files that I do, it makes sense to defer to the power users.

                                      Allen

                                      > LST side is how we make the data sets work
                                      >
                                      > JAVA is what the core programming language of the main program is.
                                      >
                                      > As a LST monkey one boolean operator makes it look easy to mess something up, and makes that really verbose in my opinion. Currently all the PRExxx tags are individual self contained items, easily tested and easily eyeballed. Looking at that, it appears order dependent. Not sure if we'd gain much in the way of performance there.
                                      >
                                      > I'm not a JAVA coder, so I can't speak on performance gains, but as a LST Chimp, I'm not really liking it. With the existing prexxx tags we can string them together in a premult if we need the AND or OR functions. And for debugging it's easier to isolate one issue with individual tags.
                                      >
                                      > --
                                      > Andrew

                                    • Allen C
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jun 1, 2010
                                        OK...I found the appropriate wiki entry

                                        http://wiki.pcgen.org/index.php?title=Unique_Primitive_CDOMObject_Proposals#CHOOSE:SHIELDPROFICIENCY

                                        and am in the process of parsing it.

                                        The original code generously suggested to me by folks on this list used the TYPE= syntax. So I'm finding the line

                                        x = TYPE=w (w is a TYPE identifier for a ShieldProf ) - note that none of our ShieldProfs actually use TYPE: but this works anyway :)

                                        confusing.

                                        Allen

                                        PS: I'm pretty sure the examples at the bottom are incorrect starting with CHOOSE:SHIELDPROF|Buckler,Tower Shield...shouldn't that be CHOOSE:SHIELDPROFICIENCY|Buckler,Tower Shield?

                                        PPS: I noticed that this tag uses commas as AND operators and pipes as OR operators. As an occasional LST coder I find that so confusing because pipes are often delimitors (even in the very same tag!). And I vaguely recall that commas sometimes serve that function, too.

                                        > I can't speak to how often those errors are popping up, but a quick find of CHOOSE:SHIELDPROF should bring you to those cases.
                                        >
                                        > The only WIKI pcgen has is:
                                        >
                                        > wiki.pcgen.org
                                        >
                                        > Go to the Arch Team and scroll down to 5.17 roadmap changes. That will have the CHOOSE rebuild progress and what the new syntax is.
                                        >
                                        > --
                                        > Andrew
                                      • thpr
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jun 1, 2010
                                          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Allen C" <allen@...> wrote:
                                          > PPS: I noticed that this tag uses commas as AND operators and pipes as OR operators. As an occasional LST coder I find that so confusing because pipes are often delimitors (even in the very same tag!). And I vaguely recall that commas sometimes serve that function, too.

                                          Unfortunately, we had few choices. The problem is we don't have a data converter that can convert existing PCs (to change things like object names).

                                          While that is something we can work toward, we need that in order to make the changes necessary to add more reserved characters. Without that work, we are stuck with the characters we have reserved in the past, and given that [] . and = are used as well in various places in CHOOSE, there wasn't much left...

                                          I'd like to get to a more sensible syntax, and we may get there in the future, but one step at a time.

                                          TP.
                                        • thpr
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jun 1, 2010
                                            Interesting catch.

                                            CHOOSE:SHIELDPROF never worked in previous versions of PCGen, so no attempt was made to convert them automatically... primarily because there as no real restriction as to the syntax or definition of "what worked". I'm surprised any data has it.

                                            The SHIELDTYPE= thing Andrew refers to is actually from AUTO:SHIELDPROF, not CHOOSE:SHIELDPROF.

                                            TP.

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jun 1, 2010
                                              --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Allen C" <allen@...> wrote:
                                              > I just think it would be more uniform and flexible if all prerequisites could be handled with a single
                                              >
                                              > PREQUISITE(boolean expression)
                                              >
                                              > tag.

                                              For the moment, the PRExxx tokens are still the "old" style tokens (meaning there is less error checking among other things). That difference alone makes considering something like this a future project. While I'm not sure of the syntax, the concept (of a boolean PRE) isn't completely out of the realm of possibility.

                                              TP.
                                            • thpr
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jun 1, 2010
                                                --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Allen C" <allen@...> wrote:

                                                > It sounds like all the problem is in my feats.lst file. Does "95Test103" mean anything, such as "the error is in line 95"?

                                                Yes, it should be line 95. I should clean up the name to be more meaningful.

                                                the 103 means it's item 103 to be converted, but keep in mind that each tab separates an item, so 4 tabs will result in 3 "items" in the "empty space" between those tabs... so the 103 is probably a bit meaningless (or hard to trace)...

                                                TP.
                                              • thpr
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Jun 1, 2010
                                                  Actually I just looked and this is a code bug in how it is delegated to the "new" token.

                                                  TP.

                                                  --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Allen C" <allen@...> wrote:

                                                  > OK, I sort of understand now.
                                                  >
                                                  > I attempted to only convert my custom files and got the following messages:
                                                  >
                                                  > file:/C:/Program%20Files/PCGen/PCGen5173/data/customsources/35e/marksworld%203.5/allencohn_feats.lst
                                                  > LSTWARN CHOOSE:SHIELDPROF has been deprecated,please use CHOOSE:SHIELDPROFICIENCY|EQUIPMENT[x]
                                                  > LSTERROR Illegal SHIELDPROF subtoken 'SHIELDPROFICIENCY' 'EQUIPMENT[TYPE=Buckler|TYPE=Light|TYPE=Heavy]' for 95Test103
                                                  > LSTERROR Failed in parsing subtoken: SHIELDPROF of TYPE=Buckler|TYPE=Light|TYPE=Heavy
                                                  > LSTERROR Illegal CHOOSE subtoken 'SHIELDPROF' 'TYPE=Buckler|TYPE=Light|TYPE=Heavy' for 95Test103
                                                  > LSTERROR CHOOSE:RACE not compatible
                                                  > LSTERROR Illegal Token 'CHOOSE' 'SHIELDPROF|TYPE=Buckler|TYPE=Light|TYPE=Heavy' for pcgen.core.Ability 95Test103
                                                  > SEVERE Unable to unparse: CHOOSE:SHIELDPROF|TYPE=Buckler|TYPE=Light|TYPE=Heavy
                                                  >
                                                  > Conversion complete, press next button to finish...
                                                  >
                                                  > It sounds like all the problem is in my feats.lst file. Does "95Test103" mean anything, such as "the error is in line 95"?
                                                  >
                                                  > Thanks,
                                                  > Allen
                                                  >

                                                  > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@> wrote:
                                                  > >
                                                  > > batch-covert.jar is the correct item.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > You don't covert by directory, you covert by campaigns (aka data set name the pcc has). If you should do them a couple at a time, unless you are giving the converter enough memory to work with.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Try again without all the campaigns set or an entire directory and just do a few at a time and it should work much easier for you.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Cheers,
                                                  > >
                                                  > > --
                                                  > > Andrew

                                                • Allen C
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Jun 1, 2010
                                                    Thanks for your note, but I don't quite understand...

                                                    Do you mean code bug in my LST file, in PCGen, or in the conversion program?

                                                    Many thanks,
                                                    Allen

                                                    --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "thpr" <thpr@...> wrote:

                                                    > Actually I just looked and this is a code bug in how it is delegated to the "new" token.
                                                    >
                                                    > TP.
                                                    >
                                                    > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Allen C" <allen@> wrote:
                                                    > >
                                                    > > OK, I sort of understand now.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > I attempted to only convert my custom files and got the following messages:
                                                    > >
                                                    > > file:/C:/Program%20Files/PCGen/PCGen5173/data/customsources/35e/marksworld%203.5/allencohn_feats.lst
                                                    > > LSTWARN CHOOSE:SHIELDPROF has been deprecated,please use CHOOSE:SHIELDPROFICIENCY|EQUIPMENT[x]
                                                    > > LSTERROR Illegal SHIELDPROF subtoken 'SHIELDPROFICIENCY' 'EQUIPMENT[TYPE=Buckler|TYPE=Light|TYPE=Heavy]' for 95Test103
                                                    > > LSTERROR Failed in parsing subtoken: SHIELDPROF of TYPE=Buckler|TYPE=Light|TYPE=Heavy
                                                    > > LSTERROR Illegal CHOOSE subtoken 'SHIELDPROF' 'TYPE=Buckler|TYPE=Light|TYPE=Heavy' for 95Test103
                                                    > > LSTERROR CHOOSE:RACE not compatible
                                                    > > LSTERROR Illegal Token 'CHOOSE' 'SHIELDPROF|TYPE=Buckler|TYPE=Light|TYPE=Heavy' for pcgen.core.Ability 95Test103
                                                    > > SEVERE Unable to unparse: CHOOSE:SHIELDPROF|TYPE=Buckler|TYPE=Light|TYPE=Heavy
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Conversion complete, press next button to finish...
                                                    > >
                                                    > > It sounds like all the problem is in my feats.lst file. Does "95Test103" mean anything, such as "the error is in line 95"?
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Thanks,
                                                    > > Allen

                                                  • thpr
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Jun 2, 2010
                                                      Code bug in PCGen which also impacts the converter. I fixed it last night, and will be available in 5.17.4

                                                      TP.

                                                      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Allen C" <allen@...> wrote:

                                                      > Thanks for your note, but I don't quite understand...
                                                      >
                                                      > Do you mean code bug in my LST file, in PCGen, or in the conversion program?
                                                      >
                                                      > Many thanks,
                                                      > Allen
                                                      >
                                                      > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "thpr" <thpr@> wrote:
                                                      > >

                                                      > > Actually I just looked and this is a code bug in how it is delegated to the "new" token.
                                                      > >
                                                      > > TP.
                                                      > >
                                                      > > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Allen C" <allen@> wrote:
                                                      > > >
                                                      > > > OK, I sort of understand now.
                                                      > > >
                                                      > > > I attempted to only convert my custom files and got the following messages:
                                                      > > >
                                                      > > > file:/C:/Program%20Files/PCGen/PCGen5173/data/customsources/35e/marksworld%203.5/allencohn_feats.lst
                                                      > > > LSTWARN CHOOSE:SHIELDPROF has been deprecated,please use CHOOSE:SHIELDPROFICIENCY|EQUIPMENT[x]
                                                      > > > LSTERROR Illegal SHIELDPROF subtoken 'SHIELDPROFICIENCY' 'EQUIPMENT[TYPE=Buckler|TYPE=Light|TYPE=Heavy]' for 95Test103
                                                      > > > LSTERROR Failed in parsing subtoken: SHIELDPROF of TYPE=Buckler|TYPE=Light|TYPE=Heavy
                                                      > > > LSTERROR Illegal CHOOSE subtoken 'SHIELDPROF' 'TYPE=Buckler|TYPE=Light|TYPE=Heavy' for 95Test103
                                                      > > > LSTERROR CHOOSE:RACE not compatible
                                                      > > > LSTERROR Illegal Token 'CHOOSE' 'SHIELDPROF|TYPE=Buckler|TYPE=Light|TYPE=Heavy' for pcgen.core.Ability 95Test103
                                                      > > > SEVERE Unable to unparse: CHOOSE:SHIELDPROF|TYPE=Buckler|TYPE=Light|TYPE=Heavy
                                                      > > >
                                                      > > > Conversion complete, press next button to finish...
                                                      > > >
                                                      > > > It sounds like all the problem is in my feats.lst file. Does "95Test103" mean anything, such as "the error is in line 95"?
                                                      > > >
                                                      > > > Thanks,
                                                      > > > Allen

                                                    • Allen C
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Jun 2, 2010