Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Archmage problem with Arcane Reach chosen twice

    Message 1 of 9 , May 15, 2010
      I would do something like:

      Arcane Reach
      CATEGORY:Special Ability
      TYPE:HighArcana.Supernatural.SpecialAttack
      VISIBLE:YES
      PRECLASS:1,Archmage=1
      PRESPELLTYPE:1,Arcane=7
      DESC:You can use spells with a range of touch on a target up to %1
      feet away.|ArcaneReach
      DEFINE:ArcaneReach|0
      BONUS:VAR|ArcaneReach|30
      MULT:YES
      CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=2|NOCHOICE BONUS:SPELLCAST|TYPE=Arcane;LEVEL=7|-1 SOURCEPAGE:PrestigeClasses.rtf

      I'm not sure about BONUS:VAR and multiple ability objects
      calculations, but I think it will add it for each instance.

      Would someone make sure this is trackered? Issue confirmed in our
      RSRD set. Not sure if this is present in 3.0 as well.

      On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 12:23 PM, Gustavo Oliveira <gustavobyu@...> wrote:
      > The prestige class of an archmage has a problem in PCGEN 5.17.1
      > The archmage is supposed to be able to choose Arcane Reach multiple times, each time adding 30 feet to the ranged touch ability.
      > I jimmied it like this:
      > Arcane Reach 2                                                  CATEGORY:Special Ability        TYPE:HighArcana.Supernatural.SpecialAttack      VISIBLE:YES     PRECLASS:1,Archmage=1   PRESPELLTYPE:1,Arcane=7                                 DESC:You can use spells with a range of touch on a target up to 60 feet away.                                                                                                                                                   MULT:NO                                                         BONUS:SPELLCAST|TYPE=Arcane;LEVEL=7|-1                                  SOURCEPAGE:PrestigeClasses.rtf
      >
      > It's not nearly as refined as you monkeys do it.  How would you guys do it?

    • Gustavo Oliveira
      Message 2 of 9 , May 15, 2010
        Tir, I got this message when I loaded it up with the changes you suggested:
        SEVERE Invalid Token - does not contain a colon: '' in Ability Arcane Reach of Campaign: 3.5 RSRD Basics; SourceFile: file:/C:/Program%20Files/PCGen/PCGen5171/data/d20ogl/srd35/basics/rsrd_abilities_class_prestige.lstSEVERE Invalid Token - does not contain a colon: '' in Ability Arcane Reach of Campaign: 3.5 RSRD Basics; SourceFile: file:/C:/Program%20Files/PCGen/PCGen5171/data/d20ogl/srd35/basics/rsrd_abilities_class_prestige.lstAll Done

        I don't know what it means, otherwise I wouldn't be bugging you with it.
        Thanks for looking into it anyway, bro!
        Gus
        Message 3 of 9 , May 15, 2010
          Hi Folks,

          Tir, BONUS:VAR is ILL advised in a MULT:YES Ability.

          Taken Once it will work fine, a second time (in your case it takes the
          bonus, adds it again, and you get a wrong number).

          In this instance I normally default to count and using a tracking
          ability so the var is not held in the same ability.

          BONUS:VAR|ArcaneReach|count("ABILITIES","CATEGORY=Special
          Ability","NAME=Arcane Reach")

          Make a new ability call it

          Arcane Reach Tracker
          CATEGORY:Internal
          place the bonus var here

          and in Arcane Reach
          ABILITY:Internal|AUTOMATIC|Arcane Reach Tracker

          That's how I'd fix it.

          --
          Andrew Maitland

        • Barak
          Message 4 of 9 , May 16, 2010
            > Tir, BONUS:VAR is ILL advised in a MULT:YES Ability.

            Since when?

            > Taken Once it will work fine, a second time (in your case it takes the
            > bonus, adds it again, and you get a wrong number).

            That sounds like a code bug to me.

            Barak
            Message 5 of 9 , May 16, 2010
              Hi Barak,

              I had this discussion with James a LONG time ago when I first discovered it. I thought it was a bug as well, but apparently Vars are treated differently since they "stack" upon themselves.

              Example:

              BONUS:COMBAT|AC|1
              taken x1 = 1
              taken x2 = 2
              taken x3 = 3

              vs.

              BONUS:VAR|Whatever|1
              taken x1 = 1
              taken x2 = 4 (1+1 = 2 x2)
              taken x3 = 9 (1+1+1 =3 x 3)

              That is what happens with the vars. The only safe method to handle vars (which don't act like any other bonus tag) is to place them safely outside a MULT:YES ability. I can try and dredge up when I had that conversation, but I figure it's not important. The question is, does the Data Team now want to call it a bug and ask Code to handle this item?

              Which, BTW, led me to ask for a FREQ regarding count, since it won't handle KEY names. Apparently Andrew Wilson is our code monkey to request that from but he's been having difficulties with accessing the svn.

              Anyways, I think I committed the rsrd fix, I'm reviewing the srd, it's not set up correctly on my end, which means I need to review it and see if it's even working.

              Oh, and if it helps, this was discovered shortly after I finished the Neiyar data set, which reminds me, I should double check to see if the vars are working in that one. :(

              --
              Andrew Maitland

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 9 , May 16, 2010
                On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 8:07 AM, Barak <barak@...> wrote:
> [...]

                A long time ago. Devon didn't really want to fix it until CDOM....
                The interim solutions is to TYPE the BONUS. And it effects more than
                BONUS:VAR, but it comes out more often in BONUS:VAR. (Actually, given
                what we do with BONUS:HP now, I think it has been fixed in almost
                everything BUT BONUS:VAR) The whole use another ability object is a
                major hack, that I do not want to encourage just to get around this
                bug (yeah, I've always felt it a bug, since this stuff used to work
                differently)

                >> Taken Once it will work fine, a second time (in your case it takes the
                >> bonus, adds it again, and you get a wrong number).

                Not totally. Past twice, it always makes funky, but for only 2
                iterations (NUMCHOICES=2), it usually works out.

                > That sounds like a code bug to me.
                >
                > Barak

                For some reason, that makes me laugh.

                I've never really been happy since the BONUS code got checked once for
                every object in the multiple feats.

              • thpr
                Message 7 of 9 , May 18, 2010
                  Drew,

                  Please build a test case for this. We need to fix this problem, provided it still exists.

                  Thanks

                  TP.

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 19, 2010
                    Hi Folks,

                    Completed: At revision: 11902

                    Initial testing shows that this is NO longer an issue. Bob had a Mult
                    Yes Ability with a Bonus var taken three times and the number displayed
                    is correct. I'll see if Feat behaves, but I'm thinking it will.

                    Anyways, Bob is all updated, test xml is updated, and the tests are
                    looking good.

                    On a side note: the latest build is broken, all ADDs are being flagged
                    for parser errors when I was running the Bob unit test. I Went back to
                    an earlier build, James last check in seemed to work fine.

                    Andrew Maitland