ability pool

  • cuttydriver87
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 22 1:59 PM
      I'm writing a new ability pool that allows a shadowcaster to
      take bonus feats equal to the sum total of his level 1, 6,
      and 9 spells divided in half. I'm working on an equation for
      this, and I think this is on the right track, but I want to
      be sure written correct before I try it. Here's what I've
      come up with, any advice?

      BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|FEAT|SPELL LEVEL KNOWN/((1+6+9)/2)
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 22 2:15 PM
        Hi Folks,

        Ugh. I'm not even sure that's legal.

        Does the spells stay static for certain levels?

        BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|FEAT|var("ClassBonusFeats")

        DEFINE:ClassBonusFeats|0
        BONUS:VAR|ClassBonusFeats|1 (place this on each level line where the
        total spells would increase)

        Beyond that, without knowing where this class is found, I can't figure
        out what the formula would be. But that should get you on the right path.

        Cheers,

        On 4/22/2010 1:59 PM, cuttydriver87 wrote:
        > I'm writing a new ability pool that allows a shadowcaster to
        > take bonus feats equal to the sum total of his level 1, 6,
        > and 9 spells divided in half. I'm working on an equation for
        > this, and I think this is on the right track, but I want to
        > be sure written correct before I try it. Here's what I've
        > come up with, any advice?
        >
        > BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|FEAT|SPELL LEVEL KNOWN/((1+6+9)/2)

        PCGen Board of Directors, Admin Silverback
        Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

      • cuttydriver87
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 22 8:48 PM
          Well the class is found in the Tome Of Magic, it's a WOTC book. It's literally a floating pool of feats, and every time you take a spell of one of those levels you get a number of feats equal to the sum total of those spell levels that you know. What I'm looking for is, one a usable equation for the spells known divided by 1/2, and two a way to make the ability activate whenever you take a new spell of that level. The spells don't stay static, it's just that as a player you have an option of either getting higher spells, or getting more feats, so every time you take a 1,6, or 9 spell the abilitypool actives. Since it's relying on when the player chooses the spells it can't be done on character or class level increments.

          > Hi Folks,
          >
          > Ugh. I'm not even sure that's legal.
          >
          > Does the spells stay static for certain levels?
          >
          > BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|FEAT|var("ClassBonusFeats")
          >
          > DEFINE:ClassBonusFeats|0
          > BONUS:VAR|ClassBonusFeats|1 (place this on each level line where the
          > total spells would increase)
          >
          > Beyond that, without knowing where this class is found, I can't figure
          > out what the formula would be. But that should get you on the right path.
          >
          > Cheers,
          >

          > On 4/22/2010 1:59 PM, cuttydriver87 wrote:
          > > I'm writing a new ability pool that allows a shadowcaster to
          > > take bonus feats equal to the sum total of his level 1, 6,
          > > and 9 spells divided in half. I'm working on an equation for
          > > this, and I think this is on the right track, but I want to
          > > be sure written correct before I try it. Here's what I've
          > > come up with, any advice?
          > >
          > > BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|FEAT|SPELL LEVEL KNOWN/((1+6+9)/2)

          > PCGen Board of Directors, Admin Silverback
          > Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

        • cuttydriver87
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 22 9:38 PM
            So I enter in this

            BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|FEAT|VAR
            DEFINE:ShadowcasterBonusFeats|0
            BONUS:VAR|ShadowcasterBonusFeats|X

            X the number of feats?

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 23 12:58 AM
              Hi Sam,

              On 4/22/2010 9:38 PM, cuttydriver87 wrote:
              > So I enter in this
              >
              > BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|FEAT|VAR

              No, you enter this:

              BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|FEAT|var("ShadowcasterBonusFeats")

              although, if you want to be lazy

              BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|FEAT|ShadowcasterBonusFeats

              What this is saying - Grant me a number of points to the Feat Ability
              Pool based upon the Variable Name 'ShadowcasterBonusFeats '

              I've defined 'ShadowcasterBonusFeats ' as 0 - since a variable name is
              a translated number (positive or negative).

              Next I use

              BONUS:VAR|ShadowcasterBonusFeats |1 to set the Variable to a Value of
              One; I could also set it to every 3rd level by doing
              BONUS:VAR|ShadowcasterBonusFeats |CL/3

              If you look, you notice that you've been using vars all this time
              BAB = Var
              CL = Var

              Anyways, your class should look something like:
              CLASS:My Class
              #New line
              1
              BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|FEAT|ShadowcasterBonusFeats
              DEFINE:ShadowcasterBonusFeats|0
              BONUS:VAR|ShadowcasterBonusFeats|1

              All of that should be on the same line. However, your Bonus Var may go
              anywhere you want.

              Cheers,

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 23 1:11 AM
                OK, if I understand you correctly, in the line BONUS:VAR|ShadowcasterBonusFeats |1
                the 1 is the level in which the bonus feat will be taken?

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 23 1:27 AM
                  Hi Sam,

                  On 4/23/2010 1:11 AM, cuttydriver87 wrote:
                  > OK, if I understand you correctly, in the line BONUS:VAR|ShadowcasterBonusFeats |1
                  > the 1 is the level in which the bonus feat will be taken?

                  No, you place that on the Class Level Line you want it to apply.

                  1 <> BONUS:VAR|... would apply at 1st level

                  5 <> BONUS:VAR|... would apply at 5th level.

                  Cheers, (And good night ;) )

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 23 6:43 AM
                    OK, so what I don't understand is, in the line BONUS:VAR|ShadowcasterBonusFeats|1
                    what does the 1 stand for?

                    > Hi Sam,
                    >

                    > On 4/23/2010 1:11 AM, cuttydriver87 wrote:
                    > > OK, if I understand you correctly, in the line BONUS:VAR|ShadowcasterBonusFeats |1
                    > > the 1 is the level in which the bonus feat will be taken?
                    > >

                    > No, you place that on the Class Level Line you want it to apply.
                    >
                    > 1 <> BONUS:VAR|... would apply at 1st level
                    >
                    > 5 <> BONUS:VAR|... would apply at 5th level.
                    >
                    > Cheers, (And good night ;) )
                    > > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland<drew0500@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > >> Hi Sam,

                    > >> No, you enter this:
                    > >>
                    > >> BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|FEAT|var("ShadowcasterBonusFeats")
                    > >>
                    > >> although, if you want to be lazy
                    > >>
                    > >> BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|FEAT|ShadowcasterBonusFeats
                    > >>
                    > >> What this is saying - Grant me a number of points to the Feat Ability
                    > >> Pool based upon the Variable Name 'ShadowcasterBonusFeats '
                    > >>
                    > >> I've defined 'ShadowcasterBonusFeats ' as 0 - since a variable name is
                    > >> a translated number (positive or negative).
                    > >>
                    > >> Next I use
                    > >>
                    > >> BONUS:VAR|ShadowcasterBonusFeats |1 to set the Variable to a Value of
                    > >> One; I could also set it to every 3rd level by doing
                    > >> BONUS:VAR|ShadowcasterBonusFeats |CL/3
                    > >>
                    > >> If you look, you notice that you've been using vars all this time
                    > >> BAB = Var
                    > >> CL = Var
                    > >>
                    > >> Anyways, your class should look something like:
                    > >> CLASS:My Class
                    > >> #New line
                    > >> 1
                    > >> BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|FEAT|ShadowcasterBonusFeats
                    > >> DEFINE:ShadowcasterBonusFeats|0
                    > >> BONUS:VAR|ShadowcasterBonusFeats|1
                    > >>
                    > >> All of that should be on the same line. However, your Bonus Var may go
                    > >> anywhere you want.
                    > >>
                    > >> Cheers,

                    > >> --
                    > >> Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                    > >> PCGen Board of Directors, Admin Silverback
                    > >> Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

                    > PCGen Board of Directors, Admin Silverback
                    > Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

                  • Ainvar G
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 23 10:52 AM
                      In the line BONUS:VAR|ShadowcasterBonusFeats|1, ShadowcasterBonusFeats is the name of the VARiable being BONUSed (increased) and 1 is how much it is being increased.

                      ________________________________
                      OK, so what I don't understand is, in the line BONUS:VAR|Shadowcas terBonusFeats| 1
                      what does the 1 stand for?
                      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@ yahoogroups. com, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@.. .> wrote:

                      > Hi Sam,
                      >

                      > On 4/23/2010 1:11 AM, cuttydriver87 wrote:
                      > > OK, if I understand you correctly, in the line BONUS:VAR|Shadowcas terBonusFeats |1
                      > > the 1 is the level in which the bonus feat will be taken?
                      > >

                      > No, you place that on the Class Level Line you want it to apply.
                      >
                      > 1 <> BONUS:VAR|.. . would apply at 1st level
                      >
                      > 5 <> BONUS:VAR|.. . would apply at 5th level.
                      >
                      > Cheers, (And good night ;) )
                      > > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@ yahoogroups. com, Andrew Maitland<drew0500@ > wrote:
                      > >
                      > >> Hi Sam,

                      > >> No, you enter this:
                      > >>
                      > >> BONUS:ABILITYPOOL| FEAT|var( "ShadowcasterBon usFeats")
                      > >>
                      > >> although, if you want to be lazy
                      > >>
                      > >> BONUS:ABILITYPOOL| FEAT|Shadowcaste rBonusFeats
                      > >>
                      > >> What this is saying - Grant me a number of points to the Feat Ability
                      > >> Pool based upon the Variable Name 'ShadowcasterBonusF eats '
                      > >>
                      > >> I've defined 'ShadowcasterBonusF eats ' as 0 - since a variable name is
                      > >> a translated number (positive or negative).
                      > >>
                      > >> Next I use
                      > >>
                      > >> BONUS:VAR|Shadowcas terBonusFeats |1 to set the Variable to a Value of
                      > >> One; I could also set it to every 3rd level by doing
                      > >> BONUS:VAR|Shadowcas terBonusFeats |CL/3
                      > >>
                      > >> If you look, you notice that you've been using vars all this time
                      > >> BAB = Var
                      > >> CL = Var
                      > >>
                      > >> Anyways, your class should look something like:
                      > >> CLASS:My Class
                      > >> #New line
                      > >> 1
                      > >> BONUS:ABILITYPOOL| FEAT|Shadowcaste rBonusFeats
                      > >> DEFINE:Shadowcaster BonusFeats| 0
                      > >> BONUS:VAR|Shadowcas terBonusFeats| 1
                      > >>
                      > >> All of that should be on the same line. However, your Bonus Var may go
                      > >> anywhere you want.
                      > >>
                      > >> Cheers,

                      > >> --
                      > >> Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                      > >> PCGen Board of Directors, Admin Silverback
                      > >> Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

                      > PCGen Board of Directors, Admin Silverback
                      > Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

                    • cuttydriver87
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 23 12:28 PM
                        Ahhhhh, I see, I caught what the var and bonus were, the number was swimming right past me, but I get it now, thanks.
                        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Ainvar G <ainvarg@...> wrote:

                        > In the line BONUS:VAR|ShadowcasterBonusFeats|1, ShadowcasterBonusFeats is the name of the VARiable being BONUSed (increased) and 1 is how much it is being increased.
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • Gustavo Oliveira
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 28 1:10 AM
                          Hi Andrew, I have a quick question for ya:
                          Is the Unearthed Arcana closed source, or open source?  Are we able to use the flaws and traits or is that too hard?
                          Thanks, Gus

                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 28 6:19 AM
                            Hi Folks,

                            Gus, the Unearthed Arcana is partially Open/Closed. Certain portions of
                            it may be used. Tir had been working on getting it into PCGen, I'm not
                            sure what the status of it is though.