Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Can I add a DESC to an existing Special Ability?

  • Eric C Smith
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 7 11:25 AM
      Hi Again!

      Maredudd wrote:
      > Hi Folks!
      >
      > Allen wrote:
      > > Hi folks,
      > >
      > > There is an existing OGL special ability Shadow Blend. But its
      > > definition within rsrd_abilities_monsters.lst does not include a
      > > DESC tag.
      > >
      > > Is there a way to add such a tag so that when it prints out on my
      > > character sheet it reminds me what the heck Shadow Blend does? I
      > > tried adding
      > >
      > > Shadow Blend.MOD CATEGORY:Special Ability DESC:Can disappear into
      > > shadows (total concealment) in any but full daylight (or daylight
      > > spell).
      > >
      > > within my custom abilities file, but PCGen doesn't seem to like
      > that.
      > >
      > > Suggestions?
      > >

      > Yep. You can do this but your syntax is wrong.
      >
      > Try the following:
      >
      > CATEGORY=Special Ability|Shadow Bend.MOD DESC: etc. . . .

      And so is my spelling . . .

      CATEGORY=Special Ability|Shadow Blend.MOD DESC:etc. . . .

      Maredudd
    • Allen C
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 7 12:29 PM
        Thanks, guys!

        Is that the line in the entirety? Don't I need to put some sort of keyword name at the very start like

        Shadow Blend->CATEGORY=Special Ability|Shadow Blend.MOD->DESC:blah

        or is it just

        CATEGORY=Special Ability|Shadow Blend.MOD->DESC:blah

        All by its lonesome?

        Thanks,
        Allen
      • Eric C Smith
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 7 12:33 PM
          Hi folks!

          Allen wrote:
          > Thanks, guys!
          >
          > Is that the line in the entirety? Don't I need to put some sort of
          > keyword name at the very start like
          >
          > Shadow Blend->CATEGORY=Special Ability|Shadow Blend.MOD->DESC:blah
          >
          > or is it just
          >
          > CATEGORY=Special Ability|Shadow Blend.MOD->DESC:blah
          >
          > All by its lonesome?

          The Ability LST Object is special in this respect in that you identify
          the ability by its category first and then its 'KEY', so the lines as
          provided are correct.

          Maredudd
        • Allen C
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 7 12:52 PM
            Thanks so much! Man, I would never figure that out on my own...

            But that does confuse me about my other efforts to create a pool of abilities from which the template chooses among. As part of that effort I was instructed to create new entries ("objects"?) in my ability file, such as

            Shadow Luck Bonus CATEGORY:Special Ability TYPE:ShadowAllenSpecialGroup.SpecialQuality KEY:Plus Two Luck Bonus to Saves BONUS:CHECKS|ALL|2|TYPE=Luck DESC:+2 Luck Bonus to Saves

            Note how this entry DOES have some sort of title/name/key at the very start... At least it works and that's all that matters.

            Allen

            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eric C Smith <maredudd@...> wrote:

            > Hi folks!

            [snip]

            > The Ability LST Object is special in this respect in that you identify
            > the ability by its category first and then its 'KEY', so the lines as
            > provided are correct.
            >
            > Maredudd

          • Eric C Smith
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 7 1:14 PM
              Hi Again!

              Allen wrote:
              > Thanks so much! Man, I would never figure that out on my own...
              >
              > But that does confuse me about my other efforts to create a pool of
              > abilities from which the template chooses among. As part of that
              > effort I was instructed to create new entries ("objects"?) in my
              > ability file, such as
              >
              > Shadow Luck Bonus CATEGORY:Special Ability
              > TYPE:ShadowAllenSpecialGroup.SpecialQuality KEY:Plus Two Luck Bonus
              > to Saves BONUS:CHECKS|ALL|2|TYPE=Luck DESC:+2 Luck Bonus to Saves
              >
              > Note how this entry DOES have some sort of title/name/key at the
              > very start... At least it works and that's all that matters.

              I can understand the confusion so let me clarify my earlier statement.
              In cases where you are modifying or copying an existing ability, you
              use the syntax shown in the earlier examples. When you create a new
              ability, you start with the ability name as you were previously
              instructed.

              And just to round things out, if you look at the .MOD docs under
              Global Other, you will see the syntax covered.

              Hope this clarifies the issue . . .

              Maredudd
              Doc 2nd

              > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eric C Smith
              > <maredudd@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi folks!
              > >
              > [snip]
              >

              > > The Ability LST Object is special in this respect in that you
              > identify
              > > the ability by its category first and then its 'KEY', so the lines
              > as
              > > provided are correct.
              > >
              > > Maredudd

            • Allen C
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 9 12:39 PM
                It does...though my understanding of the true underlying object structure of eveything is still sorely lacking.

                But you all got me through *yet another* customization quandry.

                Thanks!

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 9 11:19 PM
                  Hi Folks,

                  Allen - The Ability object is a bigger animal than meets the eye

                  We have to parts
                  ABILITYCATEGORY which controls what groups abilities can belong to; and
                  then you have the abilities themselves.

                  For your mod let me give you this example

                  Monkey Fu <> CATEGORY:Special Ability
                  Monkey Fu <> CATEGORY:Hidden
                  Monkey Fu <> CATEGORY:Talent
                  Monkey Fu <> CATEGORY:FEAT

                  Now, if I do this:

                  Monkey Fu.MOD <> CATEGORY:Special Ability

                  Which Monkey Fu is being modded?

                  Hence we need to tell PCGen which Monkey Fu to Modify

                  CATEGORY:Special Ability|Monkey Fu.MOD

                  Tells PCGen look for the Ability Named Monkey Fu found in the Special
                  Ability group.

                  I think Tom explained it like this

                  Monkey Fu.Special Ability
                  Monkey Fu.FEAT
                  Monkey Fu.Internal

                  Is how PCGen sees the Abilities.

                  Feats are easier "Abilities" cause it's assumed that the feat file is
                  ONLY CATEGORY:FEAT, though in an ability file you can modify a feat, by
                  simply using

                  CATEGORY=FEAT|Monkey Fu.MOD

                  See?

                  I certainly hope that explains things better.

                  Cheers,

                  On 4/9/2010 12:39 PM, Allen C wrote:
                  > It does...though my understanding of the true underlying object structure of eveything is still sorely lacking.
                  >
                  > But you all got me through *yet another* customization quandry.
                  >
                  > Thanks!
                  >
                  > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eric C Smith<maredudd@...> wrote:
                  > [snip]
                  >
                  >> Hope this clarifies the issue . . .
                  >>
                  >> Maredudd
                  >> Doc 2nd
                  >>

                  >>> --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eric C Smith

                  >>> [snip]

                  >>> identify

                  >>> as

                  PCGen Board of Directors, Admin Silverback
                  Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin