Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Can I add a DESC to an existing Special Ability?

Expand Messages
  • Andrew Maitland
    Hi Allen, CATEGORY=Special Ability|Shadow Blend.MOD DESC:What you want to display Is what you want. - Andrew ________________________________ From: Allen C
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 7, 2010
    • 0 Attachment
      Hi Allen,

      CATEGORY=Special Ability|Shadow Blend.MOD <> DESC:What you want to display

      Is what you want.

      - Andrew




      ________________________________
      From: Allen C <allen@...>
      To: PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wed, April 7, 2010 10:31:15 AM
      Subject: [PCGenListFileHelp] Can I add a DESC to an existing Special Ability?

      Hi folks,

      There is an existing OGL special ability Shadow Blend. But its definition within rsrd_abilities_monsters.lst does not include a DESC tag.

      Is there a way to add such a tag so that when it prints out on my character sheet it reminds me what the heck Shadow Blend does? I tried adding

      Shadow Blend.MOD    CATEGORY:Special Ability    DESC:Can disappear into shadows (total concealment) in any but full daylight (or daylight spell).

      within my custom abilities file, but PCGen doesn't seem to like that.

      Suggestions?

      Thanks,
      Allen



      ------------------------------------

      Yahoo! Groups Links



      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    • Eric C Smith
      Hi Again! ... And so is my spelling . . . CATEGORY=Special Ability|Shadow Blend.MOD DESC:etc. . . . Maredudd
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 7, 2010
      • 0 Attachment
        Hi Again!

        Maredudd wrote:
        > Hi Folks!
        >
        > Allen wrote:
        > > Hi folks,
        > >
        > > There is an existing OGL special ability Shadow Blend. But its
        > > definition within rsrd_abilities_monsters.lst does not include a
        > > DESC tag.
        > >
        > > Is there a way to add such a tag so that when it prints out on my
        > > character sheet it reminds me what the heck Shadow Blend does? I
        > > tried adding
        > >
        > > Shadow Blend.MOD CATEGORY:Special Ability DESC:Can disappear into
        > > shadows (total concealment) in any but full daylight (or daylight
        > > spell).
        > >
        > > within my custom abilities file, but PCGen doesn't seem to like
        > that.
        > >
        > > Suggestions?
        > >
        >
        > Yep. You can do this but your syntax is wrong.
        >
        > Try the following:
        >
        > CATEGORY=Special Ability|Shadow Bend.MOD DESC: etc. . . .
        >

        And so is my spelling . . .

        CATEGORY=Special Ability|Shadow Blend.MOD DESC:etc. . . .

        Maredudd
      • Allen C
        Thanks, guys! Is that the line in the entirety? Don t I need to put some sort of keyword name at the very start like Shadow Blend- CATEGORY=Special
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 7, 2010
        • 0 Attachment
          Thanks, guys!

          Is that the line in the entirety? Don't I need to put some sort of keyword name at the very start like

          Shadow Blend->CATEGORY=Special Ability|Shadow Blend.MOD->DESC:blah

          or is it just

          CATEGORY=Special Ability|Shadow Blend.MOD->DESC:blah

          All by its lonesome?

          Thanks,
          Allen
        • Eric C Smith
          Hi folks! ... The Ability LST Object is special in this respect in that you identify the ability by its category first and then its KEY , so the lines as
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 7, 2010
          • 0 Attachment
            Hi folks!

            Allen wrote:
            > Thanks, guys!
            >
            > Is that the line in the entirety? Don't I need to put some sort of
            > keyword name at the very start like
            >
            > Shadow Blend->CATEGORY=Special Ability|Shadow Blend.MOD->DESC:blah
            >
            > or is it just
            >
            > CATEGORY=Special Ability|Shadow Blend.MOD->DESC:blah
            >
            > All by its lonesome?
            >

            The Ability LST Object is special in this respect in that you identify
            the ability by its category first and then its 'KEY', so the lines as
            provided are correct.

            Maredudd
          • Allen C
            Thanks so much! Man, I would never figure that out on my own... But that does confuse me about my other efforts to create a pool of abilities from which the
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 7, 2010
            • 0 Attachment
              Thanks so much! Man, I would never figure that out on my own...

              But that does confuse me about my other efforts to create a pool of abilities from which the template chooses among. As part of that effort I was instructed to create new entries ("objects"?) in my ability file, such as

              Shadow Luck Bonus CATEGORY:Special Ability TYPE:ShadowAllenSpecialGroup.SpecialQuality KEY:Plus Two Luck Bonus to Saves BONUS:CHECKS|ALL|2|TYPE=Luck DESC:+2 Luck Bonus to Saves

              Note how this entry DOES have some sort of title/name/key at the very start... At least it works and that's all that matters.

              Allen



              --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eric C Smith <maredudd@...> wrote:
              >
              > Hi folks!
              >
              [snip]

              >
              > The Ability LST Object is special in this respect in that you identify
              > the ability by its category first and then its 'KEY', so the lines as
              > provided are correct.
              >
              > Maredudd
              >
            • Eric C Smith
              Hi Again! ... I can understand the confusion so let me clarify my earlier statement. In cases where you are modifying or copying an existing ability, you use
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 7, 2010
              • 0 Attachment
                Hi Again!

                Allen wrote:
                > Thanks so much! Man, I would never figure that out on my own...
                >
                > But that does confuse me about my other efforts to create a pool of
                > abilities from which the template chooses among. As part of that
                > effort I was instructed to create new entries ("objects"?) in my
                > ability file, such as
                >
                > Shadow Luck Bonus CATEGORY:Special Ability
                > TYPE:ShadowAllenSpecialGroup.SpecialQuality KEY:Plus Two Luck Bonus
                > to Saves BONUS:CHECKS|ALL|2|TYPE=Luck DESC:+2 Luck Bonus to Saves
                >
                > Note how this entry DOES have some sort of title/name/key at the
                > very start... At least it works and that's all that matters.
                >

                I can understand the confusion so let me clarify my earlier statement.
                In cases where you are modifying or copying an existing ability, you
                use the syntax shown in the earlier examples. When you create a new
                ability, you start with the ability name as you were previously
                instructed.

                And just to round things out, if you look at the .MOD docs under
                Global Other, you will see the syntax covered.

                Hope this clarifies the issue . . .

                Maredudd
                Doc 2nd


                > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eric C Smith
                > <maredudd@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi folks!
                > >
                > [snip]
                >
                > >
                > > The Ability LST Object is special in this respect in that you
                > identify
                > > the ability by its category first and then its 'KEY', so the lines
                > as
                > > provided are correct.
                > >
                > > Maredudd
                > >
                >
                >
                >
              • Allen C
                It does...though my understanding of the true underlying object structure of eveything is still sorely lacking. But you all got me through *yet another*
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 9, 2010
                • 0 Attachment
                  It does...though my understanding of the true underlying object structure of eveything is still sorely lacking.

                  But you all got me through *yet another* customization quandry.

                  Thanks!

                  --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eric C Smith <maredudd@...> wrote:
                  [snip]
                  >
                  > Hope this clarifies the issue . . .
                  >
                  > Maredudd
                  > Doc 2nd
                  >
                  >
                  > > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eric C Smith
                  > > <maredudd@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hi folks!
                  > > >
                  > > [snip]
                  > >
                  > > >
                  > > > The Ability LST Object is special in this respect in that you
                  > > identify
                  > > > the ability by its category first and then its 'KEY', so the lines
                  > > as
                  > > > provided are correct.
                  > > >
                  > > > Maredudd
                • Andrew Maitland
                  Hi Folks, Allen - The Ability object is a bigger animal than meets the eye We have to parts ABILITYCATEGORY which controls what groups abilities can belong to;
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 9, 2010
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Hi Folks,

                    Allen - The Ability object is a bigger animal than meets the eye

                    We have to parts
                    ABILITYCATEGORY which controls what groups abilities can belong to; and
                    then you have the abilities themselves.

                    For your mod let me give you this example

                    Monkey Fu <> CATEGORY:Special Ability
                    Monkey Fu <> CATEGORY:Hidden
                    Monkey Fu <> CATEGORY:Talent
                    Monkey Fu <> CATEGORY:FEAT

                    Now, if I do this:

                    Monkey Fu.MOD <> CATEGORY:Special Ability

                    Which Monkey Fu is being modded?

                    Hence we need to tell PCGen which Monkey Fu to Modify

                    CATEGORY:Special Ability|Monkey Fu.MOD

                    Tells PCGen look for the Ability Named Monkey Fu found in the Special
                    Ability group.

                    I think Tom explained it like this

                    Monkey Fu.Special Ability
                    Monkey Fu.FEAT
                    Monkey Fu.Internal

                    Is how PCGen sees the Abilities.

                    Feats are easier "Abilities" cause it's assumed that the feat file is
                    ONLY CATEGORY:FEAT, though in an ability file you can modify a feat, by
                    simply using

                    CATEGORY=FEAT|Monkey Fu.MOD

                    See?

                    I certainly hope that explains things better.

                    Cheers,


                    On 4/9/2010 12:39 PM, Allen C wrote:
                    > It does...though my understanding of the true underlying object structure of eveything is still sorely lacking.
                    >
                    > But you all got me through *yet another* customization quandry.
                    >
                    > Thanks!
                    >
                    > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eric C Smith<maredudd@...> wrote:
                    > [snip]
                    >
                    >> Hope this clarifies the issue . . .
                    >>
                    >> Maredudd
                    >> Doc 2nd
                    >>
                    >>
                    >>
                    >>> --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eric C Smith
                    >>> <maredudd@> wrote:
                    >>>
                    >>>> Hi folks!
                    >>>>
                    >>>>
                    >>> [snip]
                    >>>
                    >>>
                    >>>> The Ability LST Object is special in this respect in that you
                    >>>>
                    >>> identify
                    >>>
                    >>>> the ability by its category first and then its 'KEY', so the lines
                    >>>>
                    >>> as
                    >>>
                    >>>> provided are correct.
                    >>>>
                    >>>> Maredudd
                    >>>>
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > ------------------------------------
                    >
                    > Yahoo! Groups Links
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >

                    --
                    Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                    PCGen Board of Directors, Admin Silverback
                    Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
                    Unique Title "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"


                    [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.