Can I add a DESC to an existing Special Ability?

  • Allen C
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 7 10:31 AM
      Hi folks,

      There is an existing OGL special ability Shadow Blend. But its definition within rsrd_abilities_monsters.lst does not include a DESC tag.

      Is there a way to add such a tag so that when it prints out on my character sheet it reminds me what the heck Shadow Blend does? I tried adding

      Shadow Blend.MOD CATEGORY:Special Ability DESC:Can disappear into shadows (total concealment) in any but full daylight (or daylight spell).

      within my custom abilities file, but PCGen doesn't seem to like that.

      Suggestions?

      Thanks,
      Allen
    • Eric C Smith
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 7 11:19 AM
        Hi Folks!

        Allen wrote:
        > Hi folks,
        >
        > There is an existing OGL special ability Shadow Blend. But its
        > definition within rsrd_abilities_monsters.lst does not include a
        > DESC tag.
        >
        > Is there a way to add such a tag so that when it prints out on my
        > character sheet it reminds me what the heck Shadow Blend does? I
        > tried adding
        >
        > Shadow Blend.MOD CATEGORY:Special Ability DESC:Can disappear into
        > shadows (total concealment) in any but full daylight (or daylight
        > spell).
        >
        > within my custom abilities file, but PCGen doesn't seem to like that.
        >
        > Suggestions?

        Yep. You can do this but your syntax is wrong.

        Try the following:

        CATEGORY=Special Ability|Shadow Bend.MOD DESC: etc. . . .

        Maredudd
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 7 11:24 AM
          Hi Allen,

          CATEGORY=Special Ability|Shadow Blend.MOD <> DESC:What you want to display

          Is what you want.

          - Andrew

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 7 11:25 AM
            Hi Again!

            Maredudd wrote:
            > Hi Folks!
            >
            > Allen wrote:
            > > Hi folks,
            > >
            > > There is an existing OGL special ability Shadow Blend. But its
            > > definition within rsrd_abilities_monsters.lst does not include a
            > > DESC tag.
            > >
            > > Is there a way to add such a tag so that when it prints out on my
            > > character sheet it reminds me what the heck Shadow Blend does? I
            > > tried adding
            > >
            > > Shadow Blend.MOD CATEGORY:Special Ability DESC:Can disappear into
            > > shadows (total concealment) in any but full daylight (or daylight
            > > spell).
            > >
            > > within my custom abilities file, but PCGen doesn't seem to like
            > that.
            > >
            > > Suggestions?
            > >

            > Yep. You can do this but your syntax is wrong.
            >
            > Try the following:
            >
            > CATEGORY=Special Ability|Shadow Bend.MOD DESC: etc. . . .

            And so is my spelling . . .

            CATEGORY=Special Ability|Shadow Blend.MOD DESC:etc. . . .

            Maredudd
          • Allen C
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 7 12:29 PM
              Thanks, guys!

              Is that the line in the entirety? Don't I need to put some sort of keyword name at the very start like

              Shadow Blend->CATEGORY=Special Ability|Shadow Blend.MOD->DESC:blah

              or is it just

              CATEGORY=Special Ability|Shadow Blend.MOD->DESC:blah

              All by its lonesome?

              Thanks,
              Allen
            • Eric C Smith
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 7 12:33 PM
                Hi folks!

                Allen wrote:
                > Thanks, guys!
                >
                > Is that the line in the entirety? Don't I need to put some sort of
                > keyword name at the very start like
                >
                > Shadow Blend->CATEGORY=Special Ability|Shadow Blend.MOD->DESC:blah
                >
                > or is it just
                >
                > CATEGORY=Special Ability|Shadow Blend.MOD->DESC:blah
                >
                > All by its lonesome?

                The Ability LST Object is special in this respect in that you identify
                the ability by its category first and then its 'KEY', so the lines as
                provided are correct.

                Maredudd
              • Allen C
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 7 12:52 PM
                  Thanks so much! Man, I would never figure that out on my own...

                  But that does confuse me about my other efforts to create a pool of abilities from which the template chooses among. As part of that effort I was instructed to create new entries ("objects"?) in my ability file, such as

                  Shadow Luck Bonus CATEGORY:Special Ability TYPE:ShadowAllenSpecialGroup.SpecialQuality KEY:Plus Two Luck Bonus to Saves BONUS:CHECKS|ALL|2|TYPE=Luck DESC:+2 Luck Bonus to Saves

                  Note how this entry DOES have some sort of title/name/key at the very start... At least it works and that's all that matters.

                  Allen

                  --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eric C Smith <maredudd@...> wrote:

                  > Hi folks!

                  [snip]

                  > The Ability LST Object is special in this respect in that you identify
                  > the ability by its category first and then its 'KEY', so the lines as
                  > provided are correct.
                  >
                  > Maredudd

                • Eric C Smith
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 7 1:14 PM
                    Hi Again!

                    Allen wrote:
                    > Thanks so much! Man, I would never figure that out on my own...
                    >
                    > But that does confuse me about my other efforts to create a pool of
                    > abilities from which the template chooses among. As part of that
                    > effort I was instructed to create new entries ("objects"?) in my
                    > ability file, such as
                    >
                    > Shadow Luck Bonus CATEGORY:Special Ability
                    > TYPE:ShadowAllenSpecialGroup.SpecialQuality KEY:Plus Two Luck Bonus
                    > to Saves BONUS:CHECKS|ALL|2|TYPE=Luck DESC:+2 Luck Bonus to Saves
                    >
                    > Note how this entry DOES have some sort of title/name/key at the
                    > very start... At least it works and that's all that matters.

                    I can understand the confusion so let me clarify my earlier statement.
                    In cases where you are modifying or copying an existing ability, you
                    use the syntax shown in the earlier examples. When you create a new
                    ability, you start with the ability name as you were previously
                    instructed.

                    And just to round things out, if you look at the .MOD docs under
                    Global Other, you will see the syntax covered.

                    Hope this clarifies the issue . . .

                    Maredudd
                    Doc 2nd

                    > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eric C Smith
                    > <maredudd@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi folks!
                    > >
                    > [snip]
                    >

                    > > The Ability LST Object is special in this respect in that you
                    > identify
                    > > the ability by its category first and then its 'KEY', so the lines
                    > as
                    > > provided are correct.
                    > >
                    > > Maredudd

                  • Allen C
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 9 12:39 PM
                      It does...though my understanding of the true underlying object structure of eveything is still sorely lacking.

                      But you all got me through *yet another* customization quandry.

                      Thanks!

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 9 11:19 PM
                        Hi Folks,

                        Allen - The Ability object is a bigger animal than meets the eye

                        We have to parts
                        ABILITYCATEGORY which controls what groups abilities can belong to; and
                        then you have the abilities themselves.

                        For your mod let me give you this example

                        Monkey Fu <> CATEGORY:Special Ability
                        Monkey Fu <> CATEGORY:Hidden
                        Monkey Fu <> CATEGORY:Talent
                        Monkey Fu <> CATEGORY:FEAT

                        Now, if I do this:

                        Monkey Fu.MOD <> CATEGORY:Special Ability

                        Which Monkey Fu is being modded?

                        Hence we need to tell PCGen which Monkey Fu to Modify

                        CATEGORY:Special Ability|Monkey Fu.MOD

                        Tells PCGen look for the Ability Named Monkey Fu found in the Special
                        Ability group.

                        I think Tom explained it like this

                        Monkey Fu.Special Ability
                        Monkey Fu.FEAT
                        Monkey Fu.Internal

                        Is how PCGen sees the Abilities.

                        Feats are easier "Abilities" cause it's assumed that the feat file is
                        ONLY CATEGORY:FEAT, though in an ability file you can modify a feat, by
                        simply using

                        CATEGORY=FEAT|Monkey Fu.MOD

                        See?

                        I certainly hope that explains things better.

                        Cheers,

                        On 4/9/2010 12:39 PM, Allen C wrote:
                        > It does...though my understanding of the true underlying object structure of eveything is still sorely lacking.
                        >
                        > But you all got me through *yet another* customization quandry.
                        >
                        > Thanks!
                        >
                        > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eric C Smith<maredudd@...> wrote:
                        > [snip]
                        >
                        >> Hope this clarifies the issue . . .
                        >>
                        >> Maredudd
                        >> Doc 2nd
                        >>

                        >>> --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eric C Smith

                        >>> [snip]

                        >>> identify

                        >>> as

                        PCGen Board of Directors, Admin Silverback
                        Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin