Re: D&D 3.5 Template Help, Please

  • Allen C
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 6, 2010
      OK...a month late, but I'm finally back to it.

      I kluged pieces together, but I'd like to run them past you all. It's sort of working, but I don't conceptually grasp how abilities are connected to an ability pool. Can one add already existing abilities to a pool (with the categories file?), or does one have to create new abilities within the abilities file (perhaps just relabeled existing abilities?) and use TYPE to assign abilities to ability categories? Can one ability be in more than one category?

      Anyway, here's what I've done so far:

      I created a new file for ability categories, since I had no categories file yet. It has one line:

      ABILITYCATEGORY:Shadow Allen Category CATEGORY:Special Ability TYPE:ShadowMotPSpecialGroup EDITABLE:YES EDITPOOL:YES DISPLAYLOCATION:Class Abilities PLURAL:Shadow Allen Categories

      [I've tried to disguise the non-OGL material...but rest assured I'm only creating this material for personal use. I'm not sure about whether EDITABLE, EDITPOOL, and DISPLAYLOCATION are set properly since the creation of this category is only to help implement a template.]

      In my abilities file I added:

      Shadow Blend CATEGORY:Special Ability TYPE:SpecialQuality.Supernatural VISIBLE:YES DESC:Can disappear into shadows (total concealment) in any but full daylight (or daylight spell).

      Shadow Luck Bonus CATEGORY:Special Ability TYPE:ShadowAllenSpecialGroup.SpecialQuality KEY:Plus Two Luck Bonus to Saves BONUS:CHECKS|ALL|2|TYPE=Luck DESC:+2 Luck Bonus to Saves
      Shadow DR KEY:Damage Reduction Five ~ Magic CATEGORY:Special Ability TYPE:ShadowAllenSpecialGroup.SpecialQuality DR:5/magic DESC:DR 5/Magic
      Shadow Evasion CATEGORY:Special Ability TYPE:ShadowAllenSpecialGroup.SpecialQuality BONUS:VAR|EvasionUsable,ImprovedEvasionUsable|1|TYPE=Prerequisite|PREEQUIP:1,TYPE=Medium,TYPE=Heavy ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Evasion
      Shadow Mirror Image CATEGORY:Special Ability TYPE:ShadowAllenSpecialGroup.SpecialQuality DESC:Mirror image once per day, CL 5 SPELLS:Innate|TIMES=1|CASTERLEVEL=5|Mirror Image
      Shadow Plane Shift CATEGORY:Special Ability TYPE:ShadowAllenSpecialGroup.SpecialQuality DESC:Plane shift self to/from Pland of Shadow once per day, CL 15 SPELLS:Innate|TIMES=1|CASTERLEVEL=15|Plane Shift
      Shadow Healing CATEGORY:Special Ability TYPE:ShadowAllenSpecialGroup.SpecialQuality DESC:Fast Healing 2
      Shadow Fear CATEGORY:Special Ability TYPE:ShadowAllenSpecialGroup.SpecialQuality DESC: Cause fear once per day, CL 5 SPELLS:Innate|TIMES=1|CASTERLEVEL=5|Cause Fear

      [I tried to give everything a unique name by prefixing with "Shadow"...but I don't know if that's necessary.

      Most of the code *seems* to be working properly, except for the Shadow Blend thing because it is defined elsewhere in the standard files. I think they're basically the same ability...don't know if I need to create my own with a new name or just refer to the existing one.

      Also not sure if I did evasion correctly.]

      Finally, I added to the template file:

      Shadow Allen VISIBLE:YES KEY:Shadow Allen ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Resistance to Cold BONUS:VAR|ColdResistanceBonus|min(TL,15) BONUS:VAR|ColdResistanceBonus|5 BONUS:MOVEMULT|Type.Any|1.5 VISION:Darkvision (60')|Low-light BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Shadow Allen Category|TL/4 CR:1

      The ability pool thing seems to be working...for the most part. As it stands now I select among the ability pool choices from within the Feats & Abilities tab, Class Abilitie sub tab. Strangely the same list shows up twice: ShadowAllenSpecialGroup and SpecialQuality.

      Many thanks for any thoughts you have on this subtle problem.

      Allen