Class ability choice

  • D
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 4, 2010
      Greetings everybody. I'm sort-of new to coding (I coded basics a while back but never got in depth) and now I'm looking to code more. I ask assistance in coding something for a class.

      What I'm looking for is a class ability which automatically at the level up prompts the user to have a choice of skill, and get a +2 bonus in the chosen skill for that level.

      Here's what I have so far.
      In my class.lst:
      2 ABILITY:Special Ability|VIRTUAL|Lore Mastery

      In my abilities.lst:
      Lore Mastery Choice CATEGORY:Special Ability TYPE:LoreMasteryChoice
      -separate line-
      Lore Mastery CATEGORY:Special Ability TYPE:Internal VISIBLE:DISPLAY BONUS:SKILLRANK|Decipher Script|2 BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Lore Mastery Choice|1

      In my ability_categories.lst:
      ABILITYCATEGORY:Lore Mastery Choice TYPE:LoreMasteryChoice CATEGORY:Special Ability DISPLAYLOCATION:Class Abilities PLURAL:Skill Bonus Choices EDITABLE:YES EDITPOOL:YES VISIBLE:QUALIFY

      When I load the PCGen program and merely point to the sources (not even loading them) it freezes, but the normal SRD loads just fine. I do have a low memory system so I hope it's not just that. Any assistance with making my request happen would be appreciated.

      Thank you in advance.
    • Karl Collins
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 5, 2010
        So my wife, never one to follow along the path of ease, would like to multi-class and wants to take levels in Favored Soul.

        I have the book for it and want to add it to the available classes for Pathfinder since it is just a 3.5 class it should be fairly easy, or so I thought.

        I've added the class to a file and added that file to what Pathfinder's setting should look for within the program, and it finds it, but it's pulling the same number of spells that a Cleric should get, not a Favored Soul, and I seem to have missed something as it doesn't get an option on the bonus skill or hit points either.

        Should I have hit another file up to add that information in? Do I need to add something more to the spell lists? I'd like to be able to just continue making her character int he program rather than having to go to paper only with her as I have all my players characters available to me in the GM screen.

      • David R. Bender
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 5, 2010
          At minimum you will need to add 3 files.

          1) .pcc file that lists the CLASS and SPELLS file
          2) .lst file for the CLASS information
          3) .lst file that contains the .MODs for the SPELLS information

          Other files as necessary for abilities, etc. I don't know the Favored
          Soul class so I can't tell you, but you can ask for guidance here in
          generic terms.

          David
          Papa.DRB

          Grognard (definition 1)
          My better half and me

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 5, 2010
            Hi D,

            You want a Pop Up which can't be changed or did you want to choose the Skill from a List?

            What you have written up uses the second method (Easier on the user if they make a mistake).

            Take your Lore Mastery Choice ability and add the following:
            CHOOSE:SKILLS|x
            BONUS:SKILL|%LIST|2
            MULT:YES
            STACK:NO

            X is the Skill List or TYPE of Skill  (Is this any skill or a list of Skills?)
            Once you take the Choice, you'll be presented with a pop up of the skills you are allowed to take and it will apply the +2 to that choice

            As to the freezing, hm, I'm not sure about that. You could have bad syntax in the source you are trying to load causing a freeze. Best method to determine that is see if there are any error messages in the console window.

            - Andrew (At work)

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 5, 2010
              Hi Karl,

              The Bonus Skill or HP is something you'll have to add to the your class, you'll need to look at how the other pathfinder classes have been coded up to get the exact syntax; should be something like

              1 <> BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Something|CL

              Something would be 'Class Leveling' or 'Leveling Choice' or something along that vein.

              As to the number of spells, that is strictly dependent on how you have it coded. If you pulled it straight from the 3.5e source files, then it's coded to be using the Cleric Spell Progression, IIRC.

              And since I don't know what the PF version does, I can't say what you'd need to change.

              - Andrew

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 5, 2010
                Thanks for the help everyone. I can't believe I missed a few files. Going to have to tinker with them as I completely blanked on which files to edit besides adding to my own my_classes.lst file.

                Meh. This is a bit more involved than I thought it'd be, but it's a great learning experience.

                I'll post later after I get more of this data entered.

                ________________________________

                ____________ _________ _________ __
                At minimum you will need to add 3 files.

                1) .pcc file that lists the CLASS and SPELLS file
                2) .lst file for the CLASS information
                3) .lst file that contains the .MODs for the SPELLS information

                Other files as necessary for abilities, etc. I don't know the Favored
                Soul class so I can't tell you, but you can ask for guidance here in
                generic terms.

                David
                Papa.DRB

                Grognard (definition 1)
                <http://home. roadrunner. com/%7Edavidstuf f/Grognard. html>
                My better half and me
                <http://home. roadrunner. com/%7Edavidstuf f/Nana-and- Papa2.JPG>

                On 4/5/2010 9:45 AM, Karl Collins wrote:
                > So my wife, never one to follow along the path of ease, would like to multi-class and wants to take levels in Favored Soul.
                >
                > I have the book for it and want to add it to the available classes for Pathfinder since it is just a 3.5 class it should be fairly easy, or so I thought.
                >
                > I've added the class to a file and added that file to what Pathfinder's setting should look for within the program, and it finds it, but it's pulling the same number of spells that a Cleric should get, not a Favored Soul, and I seem to have missed something as it doesn't get an option on the bonus skill or hit points either.
                >
                > Should I have hit another file up to add that information in? Do I need to add something more to the spell lists? I'd like to be able to just continue making her character int he program rather than having to go to paper only with her as I have all my players characters available to me in the GM screen.

              • Dave
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 5, 2010
                  By the way - the current playtest for the Pathfinder Advanced Player's Guide
                  includes a new class called the "Oracle" that is in essence a sorcerer style
                  divine caster. I'm currently working on coding it up for my own use since
                  the official code monkeys are waiting for the final version before digging
                  in, but I believe I wouldn't be breaking any rules by sharing it with you
                  when it's complete (please correct me if I'm wrong on that).

                  Anyways, check out the Oracle here:
                  http://paizo.com/store/downloads/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG/v5748btpy8daf

                  -Dave

                  On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 11:59 AM, Karl Collins <ashe5k@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks for the help everyone. I can't believe I missed a few files. Going
                  > to have to tinker with them as I completely blanked on which files to edit
                  > besides adding to my own my_classes.lst file.
                  >
                  > Meh. This is a bit more involved than I thought it'd be, but it's a great
                  > learning experience.
                  >
                  > I'll post later after I get more of this data entered.

                • Karl Collins
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 5, 2010
                    It is pretty close, but I remember seeing some differences in it I wasn't sure I liked. I'll have to dig up my PDF and compare the two again. If you'd be willing to share when you're done, if it's not breaking any rules, I'd love to take a look.