Adding racial character trait

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 19, 2010
      Where and how do I add a racial character trait such as interesting knowlege +1 on knowledge check 1 and knowledge check 2 plus one of these is a class skill (not available previously)>?

      I am using 5.16.2 and have all 4 pathfinder sources loaded. I would like to make this character trait part of the player character traits that is available when using the player character trait template.

      Thanks for the help.
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 19, 2010
        Hi Tom,

        On 2/19/2010 1:49 AM, Tom wrote:
        > Where and how do I add a racial character trait such as interesting knowlege +1 on knowledge check 1 and knowledge check 2 plus one of these is a class skill (not available previously)>?

        I'll have one of the Pathfinder Gurus answer the where and what
        specifics you'll need to add; I'll cover the actual coding for your request.

        BONUS:SKILL|Interesting Knowledge|1
        CSKILL:Interesting Knowledge

        That's the two tags you'll need.

        While you're waiting for the PF gurus, I'd take a look at the abilities
        section where the traits are found and you can mimic the layout there.

        Example of the first one:

        Anatomist
        KEY:Anatomist_Trait
        CATEGORY:Special Ability
        TYPE:Trait.BasicTrait.CombatTrait
        PREMULT:1,[PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special
        Ability,Anatomist_Trait],[!PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special
        Ability,TYPE.CombatTrait]
        DESC:You have studied the workings of anatomy, either as a
        student at university or as an apprentice mortician or necromancer.

        hm, odd, Why would you need a PREMULT to say I don't have any
        CombatTraits, and then another to say I need This Ability... Can one of
        the PF gurus explain this PREMULT to me? Looks like a simple !PREABILITY
        for can't take this if you have another combat would suffice, this isn't
        a MULT:YES ability, so you cannot take it twice.

        > I am using 5.16.2 and have all 4 pathfinder sources loaded. I would like to make this character trait part of the player character traits that is available when using the player character trait template.
        >
        > Thanks for the help.

        Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 19, 2010
          On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 2:55 PM, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...> wrote:

          > Hi Tom,
          >

          > On 2/19/2010 1:49 AM, Tom wrote:
          >> Where and how do I add a racial character trait such as interesting knowlege +1 on knowledge check 1 and knowledge check 2 plus one of these is a class skill (not available previously)>?
          >>

          > I'll have one of the Pathfinder Gurus answer the where and what
          > specifics you'll need to add; I'll cover the actual coding for your request.
          >
          > BONUS:SKILL|Interesting Knowledge|1
          > CSKILL:Interesting Knowledge
          >
          > That's the two tags you'll need.
          >
          > While you're waiting for the PF gurus, I'd take a look at the abilities
          > section where the traits are found and you can mimic the layout there.
          >
          > Example of the first one:
          >
          > Anatomist
          >         KEY:Anatomist_Trait
          >     CATEGORY:Special Ability
          >     TYPE:Trait.BasicTrait.CombatTrait
          >     PREMULT:1,[PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special
          > Ability,Anatomist_Trait],[!PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special
          > Ability,TYPE.CombatTrait]
          >         DESC:You have studied the workings of anatomy, either as a
          > student at university or as an apprentice mortician or necromancer.
          >

          > hm, odd, Why would you need a PREMULT to say I don't have any
          > CombatTraits, and then another to say I need This Ability... Can one of
          > the PF gurus explain this PREMULT to me? Looks like a simple !PREABILITY
          > for can't take this if you have another combat would suffice, this isn't
          > a MULT:YES ability, so you cannot take it twice.

          The above PREMULT is good if:
          1) character has the Anatomist_Trait
          or
          2) character does not have any Ability of TYPE.CombatTrait

          Why the Premult since this is "Anatomist_Trait" itself? Display issue.
          Anatomist_Trait is also a TYPE:CombatTrait, so taking it would
          automatically "disqualify" the character from the ability, making it
          red. The PREMULT is basically there to prevent that.

          Going to the original email:

          On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 3:49 AM, Tom <rinertw@...> wrote:
          > Where and how do I add a racial character trait such as interesting knowlege +1 on knowledge check 1 and knowledge check 2 plus one of these is a class skill (not available previously)>?
          >
          > I am using 5.16.2 and have all 4 pathfinder sources loaded. I would like to make this character trait part of the player character traits that is available when using the player character trait template.

          a) I don't know what "All 4 pathfinder sources" are, so I'm hoping you
          aren't loading a source more than once.

          b) I'm going to parst your first bit as
          Interesting Knowlege: +1 on all knowledge (xx) and +1 knowledge
          (yy), to be chosen at time of selecting the trait, and make one of
          those two skills a class skill if it was not before.

          If I got that right, let me know, otherwise, I'll be doing a bunch of
          typing for nothing.

        • Tom
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 19, 2010
            Thanks for the help. To answer your two questions,

            By 4 pathfinder sources, I mean the following:
            Paizo - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Bestiary
            Paizo - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Bonus Bestiary
            Paizo - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Character Traits Web Enhancement
            Paizo - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook

            As far as your understanding of my request you are very close. The person selecting this trait gets a +1 bonus for both knowledge skill XX and YY (if each is a class skill) AND they can choose one of the knowledge skills XX or YY as a class skill if it was not available before (and get the +1 bonus).

            The character trait I am describing would be very similar to the traits found in the Character Trait Web Enhancement source.

            Thanks again for the help.

            Tom

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 20, 2010
              > As far as your understanding of my request you are very close. The person selecting this trait gets a +1 bonus for both knowledge skill XX and YY (if each is a class skill) AND they can choose one of the knowledge skills XX or YY as a class skill if it was not available before (and get the +1 bonus).
              >
              > The character trait I am describing would be very similar to the traits found in the Character Trait Web Enhancement source.

              Wow, a little convoluted (the part about select any, and then bonus
              IF), which makes it complex to code. One can't send LIST to a PRExxx,
              so that's going to mean listing every skill out in its own bonus.

              BONUS:SKILL|Knowledge (whatever)|1|PRECSKILL:1,Knowledge
              (whatever)|PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,Interesting
              Knowledge(Knowledge (whatever))

              Rinse and repeat for EVERY knowledge.

              That doesn't cover the CSKILL part. For that, you'd basically need a
              second CHOOSE from the first, since you only want to feed 1 of them
              into the CSKILL mechanism.

              I think I'd try (and I haven't tested)

              Interesting Knowledge
              CATEGORY:Special Ability
              TYPE:Trait
              CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMED|TYPE.Knowledge
              ADD:ABILITY|Special Ability|Interesting Knowledge Class Skill
              <insert lots of BONUSes from above>

              Interesting Knowledge Class Skill
              CATEGORY:Special Ability
              TYPE:Internal
              VISIBLE:NO
              CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=1|SKILLSNAMED|TYPE.Knowledge
              CSKILL:LIST
              ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Interesting Knowledge(LIST)

              However, I don't think ABILITY tag takes LIST that way,so...

              ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Interesting Knowledge(Knowledge
              (whatever)|PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,Interesting Knowledge
              Class Skill(Knowledge (whatever))

              (rinse and repeat for every Knowledge Skill).

            • Tom
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 21, 2010
                I think there is an easier way. There are already 2 character traits built in to the pathfinder character trait web enhancement source that function the same way.

                For now, I decided to go in a different direction with the character I am creating and stick with the core material.

                I will spend some time studying the LST classes you have posted in the documentation and see if I can figure out how to modify one of the existing traits in the future.

                Thanks for the help anyway. PCGen is a fantastic program thanks to all of the dedicated Monkeys out there. I love using it.