Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: [OS] Q:comment, Q:tab name

  • Susan Dittmar
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2010
      Hi Kar,

      thanks for answering :-)

      > > 1) Does there exist a kind of tag that allows comments to be
      > > included in the output sheet template without being included in the
      > > completed (the filled in) output sheet?
      > >
      > > I find some of the constructs used quite difficult to read and would
      > > like to add some structure by including such comments. Those should
      > > not be on the output sheet later, just in the template.
      >
      > I'm not sure what you mean here? Are you talking about commenting the
      > source code of the output sheets? That's certainly possible.

      That's what I'm trying to do. To be more precise, I would like to add
      comments to a *text* type output sheet. Something that's in the output
      sheet template but not in PCGen's output when exporting a character.
      It would come handy for output sheets (like text only output) that do have
      a built-in way of commenting stuff.

      I think that should be a FREQ, though while writing this I probably found a
      solution that works with my special case, (mis-)using a feature of the
      program that later deals with the exported file.

      > > 2) Is there a way to reference the tab name? It is offered as
      > > default filename when saving a character, and I would like to allow
      > > including additional material from a file with the same base name as
      > > the character file.
      >
      > Unfortunately no, please raise a FREQ for this :).

      How would I do that? Up to now posting here always was enough ;-)
      As we are at it already -- an OS tag giving the basename (filename without
      suffix) of the export file (with or without directory path) would be even
      closer to what I was looking for than the tab name.

      Susan

    • karianna03
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 5, 2010
        Hi Susan,

        > That's what I'm trying to do. To be more precise, I would like to
        > add comments to a *text* type output sheet. Something that's in the
        > output sheet template but not in PCGen's output when exporting a
        > character.
        >
        > It would come handy for output sheets (like text only output) that
        > do have a built-in way of commenting stuff.
        >
        > I think that should be a FREQ, though while writing this I probably
        > found a solution that works with my special case, (mis-)using a
        > feature of the program that later deals with the exported file.

        Ah, that's a tough one. Text files (.txt) will always display what's written in them (unless you've got a cool reader that you can configure or you mis-use a feature of your text reader), I simply don't think we can get around that one.

        The HTML and PDF (well the underlying XML anyhow) sheets have a commenting syntax that can be used (<!-- Comment goes here -->)

        > > > 2) Is there a way to reference the tab name? It is offered as
        > > > default filename when saving a character, and I would like to
        > > > allow including additional material from a file with the same
        > > > base name as the character file.
        > >
        > > Unfortunately no, please raise a FREQ for this :).
        >
        > How would I do that? Up to now posting here always was enough ;-)
        > As we are at it already -- an OS tag giving the basename (filename
        > without suffix) of the export file (with or without directory path)
        > would be even closer to what I was looking for than the tab name.

        Ah well in that case let me point you to:

        http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/06_trackers.php

        It covers how to and where to submit a freq, let me know if you have any trouble!