Re: [OS] Q:comment, Q:tab name

  • karianna03
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2010
      Hi Susan.

      > Hi folks,
      >
      > I have two questions concerning output sheet tags.
      >
      > 1) Does there exist a kind of tag that allows comments to be
      > included in the output sheet template without being included in the
      > completed (the filled in) output sheet?
      >
      > I find some of the constructs used quite difficult to read and would
      > like to add some structure by including such comments. Those should
      > not be on the output sheet later, just in the template.

      I'm not sure what you mean here? Are you talking about commenting the source code of the output sheets? That's certainly possible.

      > 2) Is there a way to reference the tab name? It is offered as
      > default filename when saving a character, and I would like to allow
      > including additional material from a file with the same base name as
      > the character file.

      Unfortunately no, please raise a FREQ for this :).

    • Susan Dittmar
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 5, 2010
        Hi Kar,

        thanks for answering :-)

        > > 1) Does there exist a kind of tag that allows comments to be
        > > included in the output sheet template without being included in the
        > > completed (the filled in) output sheet?
        > >
        > > I find some of the constructs used quite difficult to read and would
        > > like to add some structure by including such comments. Those should
        > > not be on the output sheet later, just in the template.
        >
        > I'm not sure what you mean here? Are you talking about commenting the
        > source code of the output sheets? That's certainly possible.

        That's what I'm trying to do. To be more precise, I would like to add
        comments to a *text* type output sheet. Something that's in the output
        sheet template but not in PCGen's output when exporting a character.
        It would come handy for output sheets (like text only output) that do have
        a built-in way of commenting stuff.

        I think that should be a FREQ, though while writing this I probably found a
        solution that works with my special case, (mis-)using a feature of the
        program that later deals with the exported file.

        > > 2) Is there a way to reference the tab name? It is offered as
        > > default filename when saving a character, and I would like to allow
        > > including additional material from a file with the same base name as
        > > the character file.
        >
        > Unfortunately no, please raise a FREQ for this :).

        How would I do that? Up to now posting here always was enough ;-)
        As we are at it already -- an OS tag giving the basename (filename without
        suffix) of the export file (with or without directory path) would be even
        closer to what I was looking for than the tab name.

        Susan

      • karianna03
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 5, 2010
          Hi Susan,

          > That's what I'm trying to do. To be more precise, I would like to
          > add comments to a *text* type output sheet. Something that's in the
          > output sheet template but not in PCGen's output when exporting a
          > character.
          >
          > It would come handy for output sheets (like text only output) that
          > do have a built-in way of commenting stuff.
          >
          > I think that should be a FREQ, though while writing this I probably
          > found a solution that works with my special case, (mis-)using a
          > feature of the program that later deals with the exported file.

          Ah, that's a tough one. Text files (.txt) will always display what's written in them (unless you've got a cool reader that you can configure or you mis-use a feature of your text reader), I simply don't think we can get around that one.

          The HTML and PDF (well the underlying XML anyhow) sheets have a commenting syntax that can be used (<!-- Comment goes here -->)

          > > > 2) Is there a way to reference the tab name? It is offered as
          > > > default filename when saving a character, and I would like to
          > > > allow including additional material from a file with the same
          > > > base name as the character file.
          > >
          > > Unfortunately no, please raise a FREQ for this :).
          >
          > How would I do that? Up to now posting here always was enough ;-)
          > As we are at it already -- an OS tag giving the basename (filename
          > without suffix) of the export file (with or without directory path)
          > would be even closer to what I was looking for than the tab name.

          Ah well in that case let me point you to:

          http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/06_trackers.php

          It covers how to and where to submit a freq, let me know if you have any trouble!