2 Questions; Item Creation; Adding treasure Kits

  • PVOICE
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3 8:03 AM
      I asked each of my players to tell me their PC's favorite gem/metal. I am using this information in a variety of ways in the campaign. I'm looking to create weapons, specific to each PC, that are made from the specific gem/metal chosen by the PC. The weapons will start off as +1 and have special abilities based on the level of the character. The special abilities are related to a draon of the same type of gem/metal.

      The weapons will be made of adamantite and the chosen gem/metal. For instance; a bladed weapon would have a handle made of adamantite with the chosen gem/metal as the blade. The weapon will gain a plus every 4 levels up to +5 and it will special abilities starting at level 7 and every 7 levels up to level 21, at that point it will gain a special ability at 25 and 30 (hopefully we'll get that far..lol).

      Here is an example;

      Favorite Gem/Metal: Platinum

      Name:Platinum Dragon Blade
      Type: Heavy Pick
      Special Ability: +1 @ level 4 (add +1 at levels 8,12,16,20)
      Special Ability: Level 7, Holy Aura @ 1/day (3/day @ level 21), Level 14, Heal 1/day (2/day @ level 21), Level 21, Cone of Cold (@ level 20 Mage, 1/day), Level 25, Cone of Cold 2/day, Level 30, Distentigrate (@Level 25 Mage)

      This is just a test weapon. I'm trying to convey something like an EPIC weapon.

      Also, I haven't been able to find a LST Class for item creation. Does one exist?

      Issue 2:

      This has nothing to do with the topic but I didn't want to post a second time. I do not understand how to apply "treasure" kits to monsters I create. When I want to create a monster I click "File;New" then the Create Monster/Add Kit button. I select the monster, Orc. I then try to add a treasure table but, all the treasure types are red.

      I've also tried to add a kit to an existing monster. I click the Create Monster/Add Kit button, all the treasure types are red and I can't select any of them. The only way I've been able to add treasure to a monster is through the treasure generator.

      Any help you guys can give I'd appreciate.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3 6:44 PM
        Hi,

        Hm, I thought Eric answered this already... Since I'm not seeing it,
        I'll post a way I would do it.

        On 1/3/2010 8:03 AM, PVOICE wrote:
        > I asked each of my players to tell me their PC's favorite gem/metal. I am using this information in a variety of ways in the campaign. I'm looking to create weapons, specific to each PC, that are made from the specific gem/metal chosen by the PC. The weapons will start off as +1 and have special abilities based on the level of the character. The special abilities are related to a draon of the same type of gem/metal.
        >
        > The weapons will be made of adamantite and the chosen gem/metal. For instance; a bladed weapon would have a handle made of adamantite with the chosen gem/metal as the blade. The weapon will gain a plus every 4 levels up to +5 and it will special abilities starting at level 7 and every 7 levels up to level 21, at that point it will gain a special ability at 25 and 30 (hopefully we'll get that far..lol).
        >
        > Here is an example;
        >
        > Favorite Gem/Metal: Platinum
        >
        > Name:Platinum Dragon Blade
        > Type: Heavy Pick
        > Special Ability: +1 @ level 4 (add +1 at levels 8,12,16,20)
        > Special Ability: Level 7, Holy Aura @ 1/day (3/day @ level 21), Level 14, Heal 1/day (2/day @ level 21), Level 21, Cone of Cold (@ level 20 Mage, 1/day), Level 25, Cone of Cold 2/day, Level 30, Distentigrate (@Level 25 Mage)
        >
        > This is just a test weapon. I'm trying to convey something like an EPIC weapon.
        >
        > Also, I haven't been able to find a LST Class for item creation. Does one exist?

        Okay - Item Creation [John K. go for the step by step guide]. I don't
        believe there is one yet. You'll be the first to see this.

        Using a text program (edit plus, Notepad++, crimson editor, VI, etc...)

        For newcomers it's better/easier to use the My_DataSet folder and edit
        the files we provide in there. For advanced users, feel free to make it
        from scratch. This will be geared towards newbies/newcomers and the lst
        monkeys in training.

        Open the file mydataset_equipment.lst

        Start of a NEW LINE so you have a blank line (No #'s which are comment
        lines)

        The First Part is the Name of the Equipment, I'll give a sample for the
        walk through. Each new line is actually a <TAB> Space (By actually
        hitting the TAB key)

        The Awesome War Pick
        PROFICIENCY:WEAPON|War Pick
        TYPE:Weapon.Melee.Piercing.Pick.Magic
        DAMAGE:1d8
        CRITRANGE:1
        CRITMULT:x3
        WIELD:OneHanded
        SIZE:M
        COST:1000gp
        EQMOD:Metal

        Okay, so that's a sample. Breaking it down
        PROFICIENCY says we need a proficiency, the second part is either
        WEAPON, ARMOR or SHIELD dictating which proficiency (and file) PCGen
        will reference to see if the character has actual proficiency with the
        weapon.

        TYPE tells PCGen what the item is - We told it that it is a WEAPON
        (Which will place it on the OS in the Weapon Block), it's a Melee weapon
        (So it'll use Strength and use the correct output), that it'll deal
        Piercing damage, and that it's Magic (Bold in the equipment).

        DAMAGE is pretty self explanatory - the weapon will do 1d8 damage

        CRITRANGE: will tell PCGen if it a 20 on Crit, vs. a 19-20 or a 17-20.
        Look at the tag/token in the Docs for details of the tag usage.

        CRITMULT: what is the Critical Multiplier of the weapon, in this case it
        does x3

        WIELD - How is the weapon normally used? OneHanded vs. Light vs.
        TwoHanded this correlates with the SIZE tag which says what SIZE
        creature the equipment is used for.

        COST - What is the retail value on the market of the item.

        EQMOD - EQuipment MODifier is a special tag that tells PCGen what
        equipment or magical modifiers are applied to the equipment.

        --- John feel free to do your step-by-step magic.

        Okay, now to your question of how to do the items in question

        You want this:

        Name:Platinum Dragon Blade
        Type: Heavy Pick
        Special Ability: +1 @ level 4 (add +1 at levels 8,12,16,20)
        Special Ability: Level 7, Holy Aura @ 1/day (3/day @ level 21), Level 14, Heal 1/day (2/day @ level 21), Level 21, Cone of Cold (@ level 20 Mage, 1/day), Level 25, Cone of Cold 2/day, Level 30, Distentigrate (@Level 25 Mage)

        To be entered:

        Platinum Dragon Blade
        PROFICIENCY:WEAPON|Pick (Heavy)
        TYPE:Weapon.Melee.Piercing.Pick.Magic
        SIZE:M
        ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Platinum Dragon Blade ~ Holy
        Aura|PREPCLEVEL:MIN=7
        ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Platinum Dragon Blade ~
        Heal|PREPCLEVEL:MIN=14
        ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Platinum Dragon Blade ~ Cone of
        Cold|PREPCLEVEL:MIN=21
        ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Platinum Dragon Blade ~
        Disintegrate|PREPCLEVEL:MIN=30
        ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Platinum Dragon Blade ~
        Enhancement Bonus|PREPCLEVEL:MIN=4
        BONUS:WEAPON|TOHIT,DAMAGE|DragonBladeBonus

        In an ability File
        Platinum Dragon Blade ~ Holy Aura
        CATEGORY:Special Ability
        TYPE:SpecialQuality
        DESC:Grants a Holy Aura as a spell 1/day|PREPCLEVEL:MAX=20
        DESC:Grants a Holy Aura as a spell 3/day|PREPCLEVEL:MIN=21

        Platinum Dragon Blade ~ Heal
        CATEGORY:Special Ability
        TYPE:SpecialQuality
        DESC:1/day|PREPCLEVEL:MAX=20
        DESC:2/day|PREPCLEVEL:MIN=21

        Platinum Dragon Blade ~ Cone of Cold
        CATEGORY:Special Ability
        TYPE:SpecialAttack
        DESC:level 20 Mage, 1/day|PREPCLEVEL:MAX=24
        DESC:level 20 Mage, 2/day|PREPCLEVEL:MIN=25

        You may also get fancier and use
        SPELLS:Innate|CASTERLEVEL=20|TIMES=1|TIMESUNIT=Day|Cone of
        Cold|PREPCLEVEL:MAX=24
        SPELLS:Innate|CASTERLEVEL=20|TIMES=2|TIMESUNIT=Day|Cone of
        Cold|PREPCLEVEL:MIN=25
        But that is only if you want the spell to appear under innate spells

        Platinum Dragon Blade ~ Disintegrate
        CATEGORY:Special Ability
        TYPE:SpecialAttack
        DESC:level 25 Mage
        SPELLS:Innate|CASTERLEVEL=25|Disintegrate

        Platinum Dragon Blade ~ Enhancement Bonus
        CATEGORY:Special Ability
        BONUS:VAR|DragonBladeBonus|TL/4
        DEFINE:DragonBladeBonus|0

        Okay, not tested, but that should get you going in the right direction.

        > Issue 2:
        >
        > This has nothing to do with the topic but I didn't want to post a second time. I do not understand how to apply "treasure" kits to monsters I create. When I want to create a monster I click "File;New" then the Create Monster/Add Kit button. I select the monster, Orc. I then try to add a treasure table but, all the treasure types are red.
        >
        > I've also tried to add a kit to an existing monster. I click the Create Monster/Add Kit button, all the treasure types are red and I can't select any of them. The only way I've been able to add treasure to a monster is through the treasure generator.
        >
        > Any help you guys can give I'd appreciate.

        I think Kar has responded to this issue, but you apply the treasure to
        the PC, and it should "in theory" just add it to the inventory. Having
        never used it myself, I can't speak because well, I've never used it. ;)

        Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
      • PVOICE
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 7 6:44 PM
          Thanks so much for the help. This should get me going even if there are errors.