Re: First few feats

  • Rod
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2010
      John,
      I guess these would be class abilities, since no other class would have access to them. Upon satisfying the pre-reqs and taking the first level of my prestige class, the character should automatically get them both. At higer levels, the presitge class would get more of these as well, but I thought I'd just tackle the first few at this stage.

      I guess it's sort of the way monks get Flurry of Blows at level 1 or how Arcane Archers get Enchant Arrow when taking that first Arcane Archer level.
      Rod.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2010
        Hi Rod,

        Those would be class abilities. We use the 'ABILITY' tags for those.

        Example:

        Class File
        CLASS:My Prestige
        1 <TAB> ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Ability Name One|Ability Name Two

        In the Ability File

        Ability Name One
        CATEGORY:Special Ability
        TYPE:SpecialQuality
        DESC:What this ability will display on the OS under the Special Qualities section.

        Ability Name Two
        CATEGORY:Special Ability
        TYPE:SpecialAttack
        DESC:What this ability will display on the OS. This would appear in the Special Attack section.

        NOTE: SpecialQuality and SpecialAttack determine where on the OS the Class Ability will appear - One Shows under "Special Qualities" the other shows under "Special Attack".

        That's a quick and dirty example. Since John is doing a good job, I'll let him get into more step-by-step details if you need it.

        - Andrew (At work)

        ________________________________
        I guess these would be class abilities, since no other class would have access to them. Upon satisfying the pre-reqs and taking the first level of my prestige class, the character should automatically get them both. At higer levels, the presitge class would get more of these as well, but I thought I'd just tackle the first few at this stage.

        I guess it's sort of the way monks get Flurry of Blows at level 1 or how Arcane Archers get Enchant Arrow when taking that first Arcane Archer level.
        Rod.

        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, John Kantner <jkantner@...> wrote:

        > Rod:
        >
        > Are these actual feats you want in the game that this prestige class happens
        > to get, or is it a class ability like a rogue's Sneak Attack?
        >
        > John
        >
        > On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 1:15 AM, Rod <rodjsmith@...> wrote:
        >

        > > Ok - followed John's step by step for creating the longbow. All worked ok.
        > > From doing this it's clear there are a ton of tags and I guess I just need
        > > practice (and to see examples) to get my head around how they all work.
        > >
        > > To that end, I'm trying to make some feats which will be used as class
        > > specific feats for a prestige character class I wish to make.
        > > Let's start off with two that the character class will automatically be
        > > given the first time they take a level in my custom prestige class.
        > >
        > > 1. Max Damage: Once per day per level, the character may use this feat to
        > > do maximum damage to their opponent.
        > >
        > > 2. Chosen Weapon: The "Chosen Weapon" becomes the focus for all of the
        > > prestige classes special abilities. (so I guess I need some sort of dialog
        > > box to pop up, allowing the player to choose from a list of weapons?)
        > >
        > > If anyone is feeling a little bored and cares to whip up what the tags for
        > > these feats might look like, I'd surely find it useful to see examples of
        > > these feats which would help with the learning process.
        > >
        > > Any takers?
        > >
        > > Cheers,
        > > Rod.
        > >

        > --
        > "The people you think are on your side are actually vampires sucking your
        > blood; the people you think are out to destroy you and America are actually
        > trying to save you--and you're throwing away the life vest they've thrown
        > you because the predators pretending to be your friends told you it's a
        > bomb." --NYTimes commentator 'Ehkzu' in a Times editors' selection, August
        > 7, 2009

      • John Kantner
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2010
          Andrew:

          Rod, this is the guy you really need to talk with. Whereas I talk out of my
          ass this guy actually knows a thing or two.

          I'm thinking that what you want to do though, Rod, is create a whole new
          prestige-class that has class abilities. So why not take a look at the RSRD
          files for classes? The ones that already work? Look up "assassin" or "arcane
          trickster". It might give you a good idea for how such things are written
          for PCGen.

          John