Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Help with List Files

  • Eric C Smith
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2010
      Hi Folks!

      Hmm, lets see if I can get this one right. I leave it to the more
      experienced data monkeys to correct my errors . . . or just tell me
      I'm on crack . . . :-)

      (IMPORTANT NOTE: I haven't had a chance to test drive any of this but
      I believe it will work. See above note about being on crack . . . )

      Rob wrote:
      > Hmm, I don't think I explained the special ability very well, but that
      > gives me someplace to start. To give an example of how it would
      > work, this
      > is what I was thinking.
      >
      > At 3rd level, I choose slashing as the type of attack I want to
      > first gain
      > DR against, so I now have:
      >
      > (TL/2)/Adamantium for TL+1 rounds, once per day versus slashing
      > - DR 1/adamantium for 4 rounds, 1/day vs slashing
      > - NOT against piercing or bludgeoning
      >
      > At 6th level, I chose piercing as the second type of attack that I
      > gain DR
      > against piercing.
      >
      > (TL/2)/Adamantium for TL+1 rounds, once per day versus piercing
      > - DR 3/adamantium for 7 rounds, 1/day vs slashing and piercing
      > - NOT against bludgeoning
      >
      > At 9th level, I chose bludgeoning as the final type of attack I gain
      > DR
      > against.
      >
      > (TL/2)/Adamantium for TL+1 rounds, once per day versus bludgeoning
      > (Okay, this one is easy, since it's all attacks.)
      > - DR 4/Admantium for 10 rounds, 1/day.

      This can be done but as PCGen doesn't currently have text variables it
      will require a more complicated implementation than simple having
      three templates, one each for DR:x/Adamantium and Slashing, DR:x/
      Adamantium and Piercing and DR:x/Adamantium and Bludgeoning. We'll
      need to create three variables which can be turned on based upon the
      users selections s at 3rd, 6th and 9th level. That gives us seven
      possible combinations of DR and therefore seven possible DESC tags.

      The template in your my_template.lst file would look something like
      this:

      My Damage Reduction Template
      CATEGORY:Special Ability
      TYPE:SpecialQuality.DamageReduction
      DEFINE:DRDuration|0
      DEFINE:DRTimes|0
      DEFINE:DamageReduction|0
      DEFINE:DRSlashing|0
      DEFINE:DRPiercing|0
      DEFINE:DRBludgeoning|0
      BONUS:VAR|DRDuration|TL+1
      BONUS:VAR|DRTimes|min(2,TL/20+1)
      BONUS:VAR|DamageReduction|min(TL/2,5)
      DESC:You gain Damage Reduction %1/Adamantium and Slashing, usable %2
      per day for %3 rounds.|DamageReduction|DRTimes|DRDuration|PREMULT:3,
      [PREVAREQ:DRSlashing,1],[PREVAREQ:DRPiercing,0],
      [PREVAREQ:DRBludgeoning,0]
      DESC:You gain Damage Reduction %1/Adamantium and Piercing, usable %2
      per day for %3 rounds.|DamageReduction|DRTimes|DRDuration|PREMULT:3,
      [PREVAREQ:DRSlashing,0],[PREVAREQ:DRPiercing,1],
      [PREVAREQ:DRBludgeoning,0]
      DESC:You gain Damage Reduction %1/Adamantium and Bludgeoning, usable
      %2 per day for %3 rounds.|DamageReduction|DRTimes|DRDuration|PREMULT:3,
      [PREVAREQ:DRSlashing,0],[PREVAREQ:DRPiercing,0],
      [PREVAREQ:DRBludgeoning.1]
      DESC:You gain Damage Reduction %1/Adamantium and Slashing and
      Piercing, usable %2 per day for %3 rounds.|DamageReduction|DRTimes|
      DRDuration|PREMULT:3,[PREVAREQ:DRSlashing,1],[PREVAREQ:DRPiercing,1],
      [PREVAREQ:DRBludgeoning,0]
      DESC:You gain Damage Reduction %1/Adamantium and Piercing and
      Bludgeoning, usable %2 per day for %3 rounds.|DamageReduction|DRTimes|
      DRDuration|PREMULT:3,[PREVAREQ:DRSlashing,0],[PREVAREQ:DRPiercing,1],
      [PREVAREQ:DRBludgeoning,1]
      DESC:You gain Damage Reduction %1/Adamantium and Slashing and
      Bludgeoning, usable %2 per day for %3 rounds.|DamageReduction|DRTimes|
      DRDuration|PREMULT:3,[PREVAREQ:DRSlashing,1],[PREVAREQ:DRPiercing,0],
      [PREVAREQ:DRBludgeoning.1]
      DESC:You gain Damage Reduction %1/Adamantium, usable %2 per day for %3
      rounds.|DamageReduction|DRTimes|DRDuration|PREMULT:3,
      [PREVAREQ:DRSlashing,1],[PREVAREQ:DRPiercing,1],
      [PREVAREQ:DRBludgeoning.1]
      CHOOSE:ABILITY|Special Ability|My Slashing DR,My Piercing DR,My
      Bludgeoning DR|PRELEVEL:MIN=3
      CHOOSE:ABILITY|Special Ability|My Slashing DR,My Piercing DR,My
      Bludgeoning DR|PRELEVEL:MIN=6
      CHOOSE:ABILITY|Special Ability|My Slashing DR,My Piercing DR,My
      Bludgeoning DR|PRELEVEL:MIN=9

      You will also ned to create three abilities in your my_abilities.lst
      file. For this example I'm using 'My Slashing DR', 'My Piercing DR'
      and 'My Bludgeoning DR'. These should look something like this:

      My Slashing DR
      CATEGORY:Special Ability
      TYPE:Internal
      VISIBLE:DISPLAY
      BONUS:VAR|DRSlashing|1

      My Piercing DR
      CATEGORY:Special Ability
      TYPE:Internal
      VISIBLE:DISPLAY
      BONUS:VAR|DRPiercing|1

      My Bludgeoning DR
      CATEGORY:Special Ability
      TYPE:Internal
      VISIBLE:DISPLAY
      BONUS:VAR|DRBludgeoning|1

      You will also need a My_Campaign.pcc file, an example of which you can
      find in the My Dataset folder within PCGen.

      Also note that this will not display the DR info on the DR line of the
      character sheet. That is not currently possible, as far as I am aware.
      (See note above, i.e. being on crack . . . )

      Maredudd

    • Rob Hines Jr.
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 23, 2010
        Okay, when I load my custom sources, I get this error:

        SEVERE Unconstructed Reference: ClassSpellList Urban

        with regards to the spell list for the Urban Ranger class I was trying to
        create.

        Help?

        Thanks!
        Rob

        --
        Rob Hines Jr.
        o----------------------o------------------o
        | System Administrator | hines@... |
        | ITI - Platform: Unix | (765)49-41617 |
        o----------------------o------------------o

        "You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."
        -- Yiddish proverb

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 23, 2010
          Oh, also, how would I give a character 2/day cast of a spell at ECL/2?

          I've read through the instructions and docs, and it's painfully confusing
          to me.

          Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 12:20:30 +0000 (UTC)
          From: Rob Hines Jr. <rhines@...>
          To: PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: [PCGenListFileHelp] Strange

          Okay, when I load my custom sources, I get this error:

          SEVERE Unconstructed Reference: ClassSpellList Urban

          with regards to the spell list for the Urban Ranger class I was trying to
          create.

          Help?

          Thanks!
          Rob

          --
          Rob Hines Jr.
          o----------------------o------------------o
          | System Administrator | hines@... |
          | ITI - Platform: Unix | (765)49-41617 |
          o----------------------o------------------o

          "There is much that cannot be understood by the
          poor soul that thinks words are the same as thoughts."

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 23, 2010
            Hi Folks!

            Rob Hines Jr. wrote:
            > Oh, also, how would I give a character 2/day cast of a spell at ECL/2?

            Rob, give this a shot:

            SPELLS:Innate|TIMES=2|CASTERLEVEL=ECL/2|<spell name>,<dc>

            Maredudd
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 23, 2010
              Hi Rob,

              This means you are telling PCGen that there should be a spell casting
              class named 'Urban'. How this happened

              Spell Name <> CLASSES:Ranger,Urban=1
              OR
              Spell Name.MOD <> CLASSES:Urban=1

              You need to do one of the following - Change the 'Urban' to 'Urban
              Ranger' or remove the 'Urban' completely and instead use

              SPELLLIST:1|Ranger in the Urban Ranger Class

              Example:

              CLASS:Urban Ranger <> SPELLLIST:1|Ranger

              And that will give the Urban Ranger the same spells as the ranger.

              Cheers,

              On 1/23/2010 4:20 AM, Rob Hines Jr. wrote:
              > Okay, when I load my custom sources, I get this error:
              >
              > SEVERE Unconstructed Reference: ClassSpellList Urban
              >
              > with regards to the spell list for the Urban Ranger class I was trying to
              > create.
              >
              > Help?
              >
              > Thanks!
              > Rob

              Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 23, 2010
                I see Eric's reply, I'll add on top of that

                Let's use a Cleric Spell Bless

                SPELLS:Innate|TIMES=2|CASTERLEVEL=Cleric/2|Bless

                In theory this will grant you Bless x2/day at HALF (Round down) your
                Cleric Caster Level.

                How does PCGen get this Caster Level information from the character, I
                hear you ask. Simple, you supplied it with that information using
                BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|Cleric|CL in the class line (CL = Class Level) which
                you only use in the actual class.

                Taking your prior question regarding Urban Ranger guy, you'd add the tag

                BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|Urban Ranger|CL to the CLASS Line

                CLASS:Urban Ranger <> BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|Urban Ranger|CL
                Now, since the Ranger is normally only a half caster, you may wish to
                instead use
                CLASS:Urban Ranger <> BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|Urban Ranger|CL/2

                Which would make the caster level HALF the actual class level.

                Now, if you truly want to use the Effective Character Level divide by
                Two (ECL/2) then the code Eric supplied you will work as intended.

                On a similar note, if you'd like to give feedback on how the
                documentation could be improved to help others who come behind, that
                would also be appreciated. I've heard folks complain the docs are great
                for coders, but not for layman, so any feedback is welcome in this regard.

                Cheers,

                On 1/23/2010 4:25 AM, Rob Hines Jr. wrote:
                > Oh, also, how would I give a character 2/day cast of a spell at ECL/2?
                >
                > I've read through the instructions and docs, and it's painfully confusing
                > to me.
                >
                > On Sat, 23 Jan 2010, Rob Hines Jr. wrote:
                >
                > Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 12:20:30 +0000 (UTC)
                > From: Rob Hines Jr.<rhines@...>
                > To: PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com
                > Subject: [PCGenListFileHelp] Strange
                >
                > Okay, when I load my custom sources, I get this error:
                >
                > SEVERE Unconstructed Reference: ClassSpellList Urban
                >
                > with regards to the spell list for the Urban Ranger class I was trying to
                > create.
                >
                > Help?
                >
                > Thanks!
                > Rob