Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Help with List Files

  • Eric C Smith
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2010
      Good morning Folks!

      All of the tags used below can be found in the LST File Tag Index.

      Rob wrote:
      > Okay...
      >
      > I worked on this for hours. Using the list editor within PCGen I was
      > trying to create a template to apply to a race to confer campaign
      > powers
      > and knowledges on a new character.
      >
      > This is what I'm trying to add to a char:
      >
      > 1) +5 to Knowledge (Local)

      Use the following LST code:

      BONUS:SKILL|Knowledge (Local)|5

      > 2) A special ability that confers DR Admantium for a duration, a
      > certain number of times per day. Useable 1/day per 20 levels, for ECL
      > +1
      > rounds, versus a specific class of attack (slashing, piercing,
      > bludgeoning) chosen at levels 3, 6, and 9. The value of the DR is
      > 1/2 ECL,
      > max 5.

      Hmmm, this would best be implemented as a simple 'Special Ability'
      using the DESC tag with the appropriate variables. Something like the
      following:

      My Damage Reduction (Slashing)
      CATEGORY:Special Ability
      TYPE:SpecialQuality.DamageReduction
      DEFINE:DRDuration|0
      DEFINE:DRTimes|0
      DEFINE:DamageReduction|0
      BONUS:VAR|DRDuration|TL+1
      BONUS:VAR|DRTimes|
      BONUS:VAR|DamageReduction|TL/2
      DESC:You gain Damage Reduction %1/Adamantium and Slashing, usable %2
      per day for %3 rounds.|DamageReduction|DRTimes|DRDuration

      This would be repeated for 'Piercing' and 'Bludgeoning' damage types.

      > 3) Gain a spell like ability at level 10 and 20 useable 1/day, cast at
      > 1/2 ECL.

      Spell like abilities are implemented with the SPELLS tag:

      SPELLS:Innate|TIMES=1|CASTERLEVEL=<caster level>|<spell name>,<DC>|
      PRELEVEL:MIN=10

      and

      SPELLS:Innate|TIMES=1|CASTERLEVEL=<caster level>|<spell name>,<DC>|
      PRELEVEL:MIN=20

      > 4) One Bonus Feat at 1st Level.

      Use the following tag in a template that gets added at first level:

      BONUS:FEAT|POOL|1

      If every character in your campaign gets this bonus then you can
      actually place it in your homebrew campaign file, i.e. my_campaign.pcc
      file. For more information on how to build your own pcc file check out
      the LST File classes in the docs. There are two classes specifically
      for the PCC file.

      > So, I would have thought the +5 to Knowledge (Local), and the bonus
      > feat
      > would be easy, but it's not really turning out that way. I started at
      > 03:30 this morning, trying to get this to work. I got seriously
      > stuck on
      > #1, This is what I came up with at the last, and I don't understand
      > why it
      > won't show up on the sheet:
      >
      > BONUS:SKILL|Knowledge (Local)|5|!PRESKILL=1,Knowledge (Local)=5

      Hmmm, not sure what you are trying to accomplish. Can you give us a
      clear description of the effect you are trying to implement?

      Maredudd
    • Rob Hines Jr.
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2010
        In the List editor, creating a template to keep it all together, I
        actually tried adding things for Knowledge (Local), like what you
        suggested, and like the example I pasted in.

        I opened the list editor, editted the template, added those segments on
        the Advanced tab, saved the template, then applied it to the character. No
        matter whether I applied it fresh, reloaded the char, or restarted the
        whole thing, in no case would Knowledge (Local) show up on the sheet with
        the proper bonuses, whether I had points in it, or not. On the other hand,
        if I changed it to a skill that shows up on the sheet by default, like
        Spot, it did show the bonus properly.

        Rob

        Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 09:55:12 -0500
        From: Eric C Smith <maredudd@...>
        To: PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Help with List Files

        Rob wrote:
> [...]

        actually place it in your homebrew campaign file, i.e. my_campaign.pcc
        file. For more information on how to build your own pcc file check out
        the LST File classes in the docs. There are two classes specifically
        for the PCC file.

        > So, I would have thought the +5 to Knowledge (Local), and the bonus
        > feat
        > would be easy, but it's not really turning out that way. I started at
        > 03:30 this morning, trying to get this to work. I got seriously
        > stuck on
        > #1, This is what I came up with at the last, and I don't understand
        > why it
        > won't show up on the sheet:
        >
        > BONUS:SKILL|Knowledge (Local)|5|!PRESKILL=1,Knowledge (Local)=5

        Hmmm, not sure what you are trying to accomplish. Can you give us a
        clear description of the effect you are trying to implement?

        o----------------------o------------------o
        | System Administrator | hines@... |
        | ITI - Platform: Unix | (765)49-41617 |
        o----------------------o------------------o

        "If you wish to convince people of something, it
        is more useful to be entertaining than to be right."

        --
        SDF-EU Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf-eu.org
      • Rob Hines Jr.
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2010
          Hmm, I don't think I explained the special ability very well, but that
          gives me someplace to start. To give an example of how it would work, this
          is what I was thinking.

          At 3rd level, I choose slashing as the type of attack I want to first gain
          DR against, so I now have:

          (TL/2)/Adamantium for TL+1 rounds, once per day versus slashing
          - DR 1/adamantium for 4 rounds, 1/day vs slashing
          - NOT against piercing or bludgeoning

          At 6th level, I chose piercing as the second type of attack that I gain DR
          against piercing.

          (TL/2)/Adamantium for TL+1 rounds, once per day versus piercing
          - DR 3/adamantium for 7 rounds, 1/day vs slashing and piercing
          - NOT against bludgeoning

          At 9th level, I chose bludgeoning as the final type of attack I gain DR
          against.

          (TL/2)/Adamantium for TL+1 rounds, once per day versus bludgeoning
          (Okay, this one is easy, since it's all attacks.)
          - DR 4/Admantium for 10 rounds, 1/day.

          Then at tenth level, the DR is maxed out.
          - DR 5/Admantium for 11 rounds, 1/day.

          After that, the duration just increments every level, until 20, where I
          can do it twice a day.

          Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 09:55:12 -0500
          From: Eric C Smith <maredudd@...>
          To: PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com

          Rob wrote:
> [...]

          for the PCC file.

          > So, I would have thought the +5 to Knowledge (Local), and the bonus
          > feat
          > would be easy, but it's not really turning out that way. I started at
          > 03:30 this morning, trying to get this to work. I got seriously
          > stuck on
          > #1, This is what I came up with at the last, and I don't understand
          > why it
          > won't show up on the sheet:
          >
          > BONUS:SKILL|Knowledge (Local)|5|!PRESKILL=1,Knowledge (Local)=5

          Hmmm, not sure what you are trying to accomplish. Can you give us a
          clear description of the effect you are trying to implement?

          Maredudd

          Rob Hines Jr.
          o----------------------o------------------o
          | System Administrator | hines@... |
          | ITI - Platform: Unix | (765)49-41617 |

          "Change is inevitable; progress is optional."

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 2, 2010
            Hi Folks!

            Hmm, lets see if I can get this one right. I leave it to the more
            experienced data monkeys to correct my errors . . . or just tell me
            I'm on crack . . . :-)

            (IMPORTANT NOTE: I haven't had a chance to test drive any of this but
            I believe it will work. See above note about being on crack . . . )

            Rob wrote:
            > Hmm, I don't think I explained the special ability very well, but that
            > gives me someplace to start. To give an example of how it would
            > work, this
            > is what I was thinking.
            >
            > At 3rd level, I choose slashing as the type of attack I want to
            > first gain
            > DR against, so I now have:
            >
            > (TL/2)/Adamantium for TL+1 rounds, once per day versus slashing
            > - DR 1/adamantium for 4 rounds, 1/day vs slashing
            > - NOT against piercing or bludgeoning
            >
            > At 6th level, I chose piercing as the second type of attack that I
            > gain DR
            > against piercing.
            >
            > (TL/2)/Adamantium for TL+1 rounds, once per day versus piercing
            > - DR 3/adamantium for 7 rounds, 1/day vs slashing and piercing
            > - NOT against bludgeoning
            >
            > At 9th level, I chose bludgeoning as the final type of attack I gain
            > DR
            > against.
            >
            > (TL/2)/Adamantium for TL+1 rounds, once per day versus bludgeoning
            > (Okay, this one is easy, since it's all attacks.)
            > - DR 4/Admantium for 10 rounds, 1/day.

            This can be done but as PCGen doesn't currently have text variables it
            will require a more complicated implementation than simple having
            three templates, one each for DR:x/Adamantium and Slashing, DR:x/
            Adamantium and Piercing and DR:x/Adamantium and Bludgeoning. We'll
            need to create three variables which can be turned on based upon the
            users selections s at 3rd, 6th and 9th level. That gives us seven
            possible combinations of DR and therefore seven possible DESC tags.

            The template in your my_template.lst file would look something like
            this:

            My Damage Reduction Template
            CATEGORY:Special Ability
            TYPE:SpecialQuality.DamageReduction
            DEFINE:DRDuration|0
            DEFINE:DRTimes|0
            DEFINE:DamageReduction|0
            DEFINE:DRSlashing|0
            DEFINE:DRPiercing|0
            DEFINE:DRBludgeoning|0
            BONUS:VAR|DRDuration|TL+1
            BONUS:VAR|DRTimes|min(2,TL/20+1)
            BONUS:VAR|DamageReduction|min(TL/2,5)
            DESC:You gain Damage Reduction %1/Adamantium and Slashing, usable %2
            per day for %3 rounds.|DamageReduction|DRTimes|DRDuration|PREMULT:3,
            [PREVAREQ:DRSlashing,1],[PREVAREQ:DRPiercing,0],
            [PREVAREQ:DRBludgeoning,0]
            DESC:You gain Damage Reduction %1/Adamantium and Piercing, usable %2
            per day for %3 rounds.|DamageReduction|DRTimes|DRDuration|PREMULT:3,
            [PREVAREQ:DRSlashing,0],[PREVAREQ:DRPiercing,1],
            [PREVAREQ:DRBludgeoning,0]
            DESC:You gain Damage Reduction %1/Adamantium and Bludgeoning, usable
            %2 per day for %3 rounds.|DamageReduction|DRTimes|DRDuration|PREMULT:3,
            [PREVAREQ:DRSlashing,0],[PREVAREQ:DRPiercing,0],
            [PREVAREQ:DRBludgeoning.1]
            DESC:You gain Damage Reduction %1/Adamantium and Slashing and
            Piercing, usable %2 per day for %3 rounds.|DamageReduction|DRTimes|
            DRDuration|PREMULT:3,[PREVAREQ:DRSlashing,1],[PREVAREQ:DRPiercing,1],
            [PREVAREQ:DRBludgeoning,0]
            DESC:You gain Damage Reduction %1/Adamantium and Piercing and
            Bludgeoning, usable %2 per day for %3 rounds.|DamageReduction|DRTimes|
            DRDuration|PREMULT:3,[PREVAREQ:DRSlashing,0],[PREVAREQ:DRPiercing,1],
            [PREVAREQ:DRBludgeoning,1]
            DESC:You gain Damage Reduction %1/Adamantium and Slashing and
            Bludgeoning, usable %2 per day for %3 rounds.|DamageReduction|DRTimes|
            DRDuration|PREMULT:3,[PREVAREQ:DRSlashing,1],[PREVAREQ:DRPiercing,0],
            [PREVAREQ:DRBludgeoning.1]
            DESC:You gain Damage Reduction %1/Adamantium, usable %2 per day for %3
            rounds.|DamageReduction|DRTimes|DRDuration|PREMULT:3,
            [PREVAREQ:DRSlashing,1],[PREVAREQ:DRPiercing,1],
            [PREVAREQ:DRBludgeoning.1]
            CHOOSE:ABILITY|Special Ability|My Slashing DR,My Piercing DR,My
            Bludgeoning DR|PRELEVEL:MIN=3
            CHOOSE:ABILITY|Special Ability|My Slashing DR,My Piercing DR,My
            Bludgeoning DR|PRELEVEL:MIN=6
            CHOOSE:ABILITY|Special Ability|My Slashing DR,My Piercing DR,My
            Bludgeoning DR|PRELEVEL:MIN=9

            You will also ned to create three abilities in your my_abilities.lst
            file. For this example I'm using 'My Slashing DR', 'My Piercing DR'
            and 'My Bludgeoning DR'. These should look something like this:

            My Slashing DR
            CATEGORY:Special Ability
            TYPE:Internal
            VISIBLE:DISPLAY
            BONUS:VAR|DRSlashing|1

            My Piercing DR
            CATEGORY:Special Ability
            TYPE:Internal
            VISIBLE:DISPLAY
            BONUS:VAR|DRPiercing|1

            My Bludgeoning DR
            CATEGORY:Special Ability
            TYPE:Internal
            VISIBLE:DISPLAY
            BONUS:VAR|DRBludgeoning|1

            You will also need a My_Campaign.pcc file, an example of which you can
            find in the My Dataset folder within PCGen.

            Also note that this will not display the DR info on the DR line of the
            character sheet. That is not currently possible, as far as I am aware.
            (See note above, i.e. being on crack . . . )

            Maredudd

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 23, 2010
              Okay, when I load my custom sources, I get this error:

              SEVERE Unconstructed Reference: ClassSpellList Urban

              with regards to the spell list for the Urban Ranger class I was trying to
              create.

              Help?

              Thanks!
              Rob

              --
              Rob Hines Jr.
              o----------------------o------------------o
              | System Administrator | hines@... |
              | ITI - Platform: Unix | (765)49-41617 |
              o----------------------o------------------o

              "You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."
              -- Yiddish proverb

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 23, 2010
                Oh, also, how would I give a character 2/day cast of a spell at ECL/2?

                I've read through the instructions and docs, and it's painfully confusing
                to me.

                Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 12:20:30 +0000 (UTC)
                From: Rob Hines Jr. <rhines@...>
                To: PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com
                Subject: [PCGenListFileHelp] Strange

                Okay, when I load my custom sources, I get this error:

                SEVERE Unconstructed Reference: ClassSpellList Urban

                with regards to the spell list for the Urban Ranger class I was trying to
                create.

                Help?

                Thanks!
                Rob

                --
                Rob Hines Jr.
                o----------------------o------------------o
                | System Administrator | hines@... |
                | ITI - Platform: Unix | (765)49-41617 |
                o----------------------o------------------o

                "There is much that cannot be understood by the
                poor soul that thinks words are the same as thoughts."

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 23, 2010
                  Hi Folks!

                  Rob Hines Jr. wrote:
                  > Oh, also, how would I give a character 2/day cast of a spell at ECL/2?

                  Rob, give this a shot:

                  SPELLS:Innate|TIMES=2|CASTERLEVEL=ECL/2|<spell name>,<dc>

                  Maredudd
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 23, 2010
                    Hi Rob,

                    This means you are telling PCGen that there should be a spell casting
                    class named 'Urban'. How this happened

                    Spell Name <> CLASSES:Ranger,Urban=1
                    OR
                    Spell Name.MOD <> CLASSES:Urban=1

                    You need to do one of the following - Change the 'Urban' to 'Urban
                    Ranger' or remove the 'Urban' completely and instead use

                    SPELLLIST:1|Ranger in the Urban Ranger Class

                    Example:

                    CLASS:Urban Ranger <> SPELLLIST:1|Ranger

                    And that will give the Urban Ranger the same spells as the ranger.

                    Cheers,

                    On 1/23/2010 4:20 AM, Rob Hines Jr. wrote:
                    > Okay, when I load my custom sources, I get this error:
                    >
                    > SEVERE Unconstructed Reference: ClassSpellList Urban
                    >
                    > with regards to the spell list for the Urban Ranger class I was trying to
                    > create.
                    >
                    > Help?
                    >
                    > Thanks!
                    > Rob

                    Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 23, 2010
                      I see Eric's reply, I'll add on top of that

                      Let's use a Cleric Spell Bless

                      SPELLS:Innate|TIMES=2|CASTERLEVEL=Cleric/2|Bless

                      In theory this will grant you Bless x2/day at HALF (Round down) your
                      Cleric Caster Level.

                      How does PCGen get this Caster Level information from the character, I
                      hear you ask. Simple, you supplied it with that information using
                      BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|Cleric|CL in the class line (CL = Class Level) which
                      you only use in the actual class.

                      Taking your prior question regarding Urban Ranger guy, you'd add the tag

                      BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|Urban Ranger|CL to the CLASS Line

                      CLASS:Urban Ranger <> BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|Urban Ranger|CL
                      Now, since the Ranger is normally only a half caster, you may wish to
                      instead use
                      CLASS:Urban Ranger <> BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|Urban Ranger|CL/2

                      Which would make the caster level HALF the actual class level.

                      Now, if you truly want to use the Effective Character Level divide by
                      Two (ECL/2) then the code Eric supplied you will work as intended.

                      On a similar note, if you'd like to give feedback on how the
                      documentation could be improved to help others who come behind, that
                      would also be appreciated. I've heard folks complain the docs are great
                      for coders, but not for layman, so any feedback is welcome in this regard.

                      Cheers,

                      On 1/23/2010 4:25 AM, Rob Hines Jr. wrote:
                      > Oh, also, how would I give a character 2/day cast of a spell at ECL/2?
                      >
                      > I've read through the instructions and docs, and it's painfully confusing
                      > to me.
                      >
                      > On Sat, 23 Jan 2010, Rob Hines Jr. wrote:
                      >
                      > Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 12:20:30 +0000 (UTC)
                      > From: Rob Hines Jr.<rhines@...>
                      > To: PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com
                      > Subject: [PCGenListFileHelp] Strange
                      >
                      > Okay, when I load my custom sources, I get this error:
                      >
                      > SEVERE Unconstructed Reference: ClassSpellList Urban
                      >
                      > with regards to the spell list for the Urban Ranger class I was trying to
                      > create.
                      >
                      > Help?
                      >
                      > Thanks!
                      > Rob