Need help with difficult spells known progression

  • herzogaldilkassach
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 2, 2010
      PCGen 5.16.2

      I'm coding up a class that has a rather peculiar spellcasting progression. Let's call it an Element Cleric.

      This class gets access to spells like a sorcerer does, so a limited number of spells known.
      At each spell level, it gets one spell from a specific list (similar to a domain spell), some spells from a very restricted list (connected to a single element) and some spells from a more generic list (connected to all but the opposing element)

      My current implementation tries to use domains to get the specific spell working. The character has to choose from one of three domains, and gets the spell associated with that domain as soon as he gets access to that lvl.

      It uses seperate spell lists for all the spells associated with the various elements, and attempts to provide access through these.

      However, I seem to be running into some trouble, and I can't figure out what is wrong. I assume something with the domains, and the fact I use the same name for various classes and spelllists, but I'm at a loss how to do it proper.

      Here's the current implementation (of one of the four classes created for this):
      CLASS:Water Cleric<TAB>HD:6<TAB>TYPE:Base.PC<TAB>ABB:ClrW<TAB>BONUS:CHECKS|BASE.Fortitude|((CL/2)+2)<TAB>BONUS:CHECKS|BASE.Reflex,BASE.Willpower|(CL/3)<TAB>BONUS:COMBAT|BAB|(CL/2)|TYPE=Base.REPLACE<TAB>BONUS:DOMAIN|NUMBER|1<TAB>SOURCEPAGE:p.10
      CLASS:Water Cleric<TAB>STARTSKILLPTS:4<TAB>CSKILL:Concentration|TYPE.Craft|Diplomacy|Heal|TYPE.Knowledge|TYPE.Profession|Spellcraft
      CLASS:Water Cleric<TAB>SPELLSTAT:CHA<TAB>SPELLTYPE:Divine<TAB>MEMORIZE:NO<TAB>BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|Water Cleric|CL SPELLLIST:3|Water Cleric|Earth Cleric|Air Cleric
      1<TAB>DOMAIN:Special Water Domain 1|Special Water Domain 2|Special Water Domain 3
      1<TAB>CAST:5,3<TAB>KNOWN:2,1<TAB>BONUS:SPELLKNOWN|CLASS=Water Cleric;LEVEL=0|2<TAB>BONUS:SPELLKNOWN|CLASS=Water Cleric;LEVEL=1|1

      What I expect is to get the possibility to select a single domain.
      What happens is that all three domains get added, and all associated spells are automatically on my spells known list.

      What I expect is to get the possibility to add some spells to my spells known from the earth,air and water cleric spell lists, and some only from the water cleric spell list.
      What happens is that I get a single list of Water Cleric spells to choose from, some of which have a sub-indication of Domains, then the spell, then the 'Domain' within squaire brackets.

      Any pointers on how to accomplish this are appreciated!
    • karianna03
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 3, 2010
        I'm the least of the LST monkeys in PCGen (they usually smack my paws away when I go and play ;p), but I think you're missing the concept of the CHOOSE tag. Perhaps have a look in the docs for that tag and some examples.

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 3, 2010
          > 1<TAB>DOMAIN:Special Water Domain 1|Special Water Domain 2|Special Water Domain 3
          > What I expect is to get the possibility to select a single domain.
          > What happens is that all three domains get added, and all associated spells are automatically on my spells known list.

          That's what the Domain tag does. Adds the domains directly to the character.

          > What I expect is to get the possibility to add some spells to my spells known from the earth,air and water cleric spell lists, and some only from the water cleric spell list.
          > What happens is that I get a single list of Water Cleric spells to choose from, some of which have a sub-indication of Domains, then the spell, then the 'Domain' within squaire brackets.
          >
          > Any pointers on how to accomplish this are appreciated!

          Not exactly sure what you want from your code snippet. Going back to
          your original statement:

          > This class gets access to spells like a sorcerer does, so a limited number of spells known.
          > At each spell level, it gets one spell from a specific list (similar to a domain spell), some spells from a very restricted list (connected to a single element) and some spells from a more generic list (connected to all but the opposing element)

          So, two pools to learn spells from? Say level 1, gets 2 from very
          restricted and 1 from generic?

          No really easy way to do that. You could do it all with Abilities,
          but that gets really cumbersome really fast.

          Personally, I'd set them all in a pool per choice (add to the spell
          list), and leave policing what came from which pool to the user, which
          we typically call "DM policing".

        • herzogaldilkassach
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 5, 2010
            Thank you for the reply. I'll try to add some more info, in the hope you can help me.

            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Tir Gwaith <Tir.Gwaith@...> wrote:

            > > 1<TAB>DOMAIN:Special Water Domain 1|Special Water Domain 2|Special Water Domain 3
            > > What I expect is to get the possibility to select a single domain.
            > > What happens is that all three domains get added, and all associated spells are automatically on my spells known list.
            >
            > That's what the Domain tag does. Adds the domains directly to the character.

            I understand that. However, the CHOOSE:DOMAINS|x|x tag does not seem to work. And I found no way to make the domains 'available' somehow besides adding a 'Water' deity. Is that what I should be doing? Adding a 'Water' deity with these domains, then select that as a deity, to select the appropriate 'domain'?

            > > What I expect is to get the possibility to add some spells to my spells known from the earth,air and water cleric spell lists, and some only from the water cleric spell list.
            > > What happens is that I get a single list of Water Cleric spells to choose from, some of which have a sub-indication of Domains, then the spell, then the 'Domain' within squaire brackets.
            > >
            > > Any pointers on how to accomplish this are appreciated!
            >
            > Not exactly sure what you want from your code snippet.

            The code snippet was the first attempt. I was just wondering whether someone would spot a data-bug in there that would explain it not working. Wouldn't be the first time....
            Fact is, with these kind of datasets I keep running into problems that might be PCGen bugs, not-yet-implemented features, or simply my own lack in data knowledge. Sometimes, it's as simple as trying to use a tag in the wrong type of lst file. Sometimes, it's a combination of not (yet) working functionality, unforseen combinations of tags, and my own misunderstanding of the tags. In other words, most of the time posting a small code snippet can bring out the most obvious mistakes I made, so I can focus on what works and what doesn't, and find work-arounds for those parts that don't work (yet).

            > Going back to
            > your original statement:
            >
            > > This class gets access to spells like a sorcerer does, so a limited number of spells known.
            > > At each spell level, it gets one spell from a specific list (similar to a domain spell), some spells from a very restricted list (connected to a single element) and some spells from a more generic list (connected to all but the opposing element)
            >
            > So, two pools to learn spells from? Say level 1, gets 2 from very
            > restricted and 1 from generic?
            >
            > No really easy way to do that. You could do it all with Abilities,
            > but that gets really cumbersome really fast.
            >
            > Personally, I'd set them all in a pool per choice (add to the spell
            > list), and leave policing what came from which pool to the user, which
            > we typically call "DM policing".
            >
            > Tir Gwaith
            > PCGen LST Chimp

            I'd prefer something similar to the wizard's specialty bonus spell, but with multiple spells. would that work, and where would I need to implement that?
            I'm asking because I'm still a bit hazy on which parts of PCGen are (partly) hardcoded and which can be used outside of their 'normal' use (like domains and specialty bonus spells)
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 5, 2010
              Error Spot Check as requested by just eyeballing this.

              No such 'check' as Willpower > Change to Will to follow the standard naming convention.

              Is this a PRC? Cause you're bonusing the Cleric Caster Level, and not the Base Class.

              SPELLLIST:3| is going to grant you ALL three class spell lists. If you want it to be a CHOICE, you need to change it to SPELLLIST:1| and it will let you SELECT one of the list class spell lists

              For the DOMAIN to be selectable, unfortunately, you'll need to SELECT a Deity, that is a hardcoded thing to my knowledge. The Deity may be the defauly "NONE" which by default includes all Data set loaded Domains.

              I'm not sure the BONUS:SPELLKNOWN is the correct usage in this case, I'd need to look at the documentation.

              Is there any reason you aren't making this a SUBCLASS of Cleric? Can this class be taken with Cleric Separately?

              Anyways, I'm still groggy, but hopefully that will help a bit.

              - Andrew

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 5, 2010
                > I understand that. However, the CHOOSE:DOMAINS|x|x tag does not seem to work. And I found no way to make the domains 'available' somehow besides adding a 'Water' deity. Is that what I should be doing? Adding a 'Water' deity with these domains, then select that as a deity, to select the appropriate 'domain'?

                I think you want the ADDDOMAINS tag. User still chooses the domain on
                the Domain tab, but the choices will be available no matter what deity
                (or not) is selected. That's an old tag, so it doesn't follow the
                (now) normal ADD: syntax structure. Check the docs for usage, since I
                don't want my possibly faulty memory to cause you extra grief0.

                > The code snippet was the first attempt. I was just wondering whether someone would spot a data-bug in there that would explain it not working. Wouldn't be the first time....
                > Fact is, with these kind of datasets I keep running into problems that might be PCGen bugs, not-yet-implemented features, or simply my own lack in data knowledge. Sometimes, it's as simple as trying to use a tag in the wrong type of lst file. Sometimes, it's a combination of not (yet) working functionality, unforseen combinations of tags, and my own misunderstanding of the tags. In other words, most of the time posting a small code snippet can bring out the most obvious mistakes I made, so I can focus on what works and what doesn't, and find work-arounds for those parts that don't work (yet).

                Oh, I understand. I just couldn't figure out what you were trying to
                do this time. Sometimes I can. :)

                >> Going back to
                >> your original statement:
                >>
                >> > This class gets access to spells like a sorcerer does, so a limited number of spells known.
                >> > At each spell level, it gets one spell from a specific list (similar to a domain spell), some spells from a very restricted list (connected to a single element) and some spells from a more generic list (connected to all but the opposing element)
                >>
                >> So, two pools to learn spells from?  Say level 1, gets 2 from very
                >> restricted and 1 from generic?
                >>
                >> No really easy way to do that.  You could do it all with Abilities,
                >> but that gets really cumbersome really fast.
                >>
                >> Personally, I'd set them all in a pool per choice (add to the spell
                >> list), and leave policing what came from which pool to the user, which
                >> we typically call "DM policing".
                >>
                >> Tir Gwaith
                >> PCGen LST Chimp
                >>

                > I'd prefer something similar to the wizard's specialty bonus spell, but with multiple spells. would that work, and where would I need to implement that?
                > I'm asking because I'm still a bit hazy on which parts of PCGen are (partly) hardcoded and which can be used outside of their 'normal' use (like domains and specialty bonus spells)

                That might work, if it is always the same number of spells for all
                levels. Somehow I don't think so, but if it is, you need subclasses,
                with the CHOICE bit like wizard, and just change
                KNOWNSPELLSFROMSPECIALTY to have whatever number of spells the
                character gets for that specialty. CHOICE is limited to SCHOOL,
                SUBSCHOOL, and DESCRIPTOR, so you'll need to put the choices you want
                to define into one of those.

              • herzogaldilkassach
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 6, 2010
                  Thank you for your help so far.
                  I've considered your comments, and decided to make the following changesc(Still doesn't work exactly as I would like, but I'm getting there):

                  1. Created Water 'deity', with the three domains. Must be manually selected in 'Domains' as the deity of the character, but I can live with that.
                  Increased domain number (to allow selection of one of the domains).

                  2. Changed class to four subclasses. (replaced 'Cleric' with 'Priest' to avoid confusion with 'normal' cleric)

                  3. Used subclasses with specialization to differentiate between normal spells and specialty spells. (differentiating on DESCRIPTOR)
                  Had to MOD the spells on the classes' spelllist to include that descriptor, but the list isn't that large, so doable.

                  4. Using 'Will' instead of 'Willpower'. (I've encountered both Will and Willpower at several locations in the datasets and in the documentation, leaving me confused on which to use. Global data and documentation search and replace might be in order....)

                  new code snippet:

                  CLASS:Priest<TAB>HD:6<TAB><TAB>TYPE:Base.PC<TAB>ABB:Pri<TAB><TAB>BONUS:CHECKS|BASE.Will|((CL/2)+2)<TAB>BONUS:CHECKS|BASE.Reflex,BASE.Fortitude|(CL/3)<TAB>BONUS:DOMAIN|NUMBER|1<TAB>BONUS:COMBAT|BAB|(CL/2)|TYPE=Base.REPLACE<TAB>SOURCEPAGE:p.10
                  CLASS:Priest<TAB>STARTSKILLPTS:4<TAB>CSKILL:Concentration|TYPE.Craft|Diplomacy|Heal|TYPE.Knowledge|TYPE.Profession|Spellcraft
                  CLASS:Priest<TAB>SPELLSTAT:CHA<TAB>SPELLTYPE:Divine<TAB>MEMORIZE:NO<TAB>BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|Priest|CL<TAB>
                  SUBCLASS:Air Priest<TAB>COST:1<TAB>PROHIBITCOST:1<TAB>CHOICE:DESCRIPTOR|PriA<TAB>SPELLLIST:3|Fire Priest|Water Priest|Air Priest
                  SUBCLASS:Water Priest<TAB>COST:1<TAB>PROHIBITCOST:1<TAB>CHOICE:DESCRIPTOR|PriW<TAB>SPELLLIST:3|Water Priest|Air Priest|Earth Priest
                  SUBCLASS:Fire Priest<TAB>COST:1<TAB>PROHIBITCOST:1<TAB>CHOICE:DESCRIPTOR|PriF<TAB>SPELLLIST:3|Fire Priest|Air Priest|Earth Priest
                  SUBCLASS:Earth Priest<TAB>COST:1<TAB>PROHIBITCOST:1<TAB>CHOICE:DESCRIPTOR|PriE<TAB>SPELLLIST:3|Fire Priest|Water Priest|Earth Priest
                  1<TAB>CAST:5,3<TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB>KNOWN:2,1<TAB><TAB><TAB>SPECIALTYKNOWN:2,1

                  Still open:

                  1. I haven't been able to confirm yet that I can only select KNOWN spells from the generic pool and SPECIALTYKNOWN from the limited pool. I suspect still some work to be done there. Also, I'm a bit confused at the existence of a KNOWNSPELLSFROMSPECIALTY tag. Is SPECIALTYKNOWN still a valid tag?

                  2. I have to manually select the opposing element in the specialty/prohibited selection screens, while I would like to automatically select the opposing element in the subclass description as the prohibited descriptor. Also, I would like to remove the 'base' class (Priest) from the option list. (choosing an element is required, not optional)

                  3. spelltype and spellstat not transferred to subclass. do i have to add those to each subclass? I would think all properties set for the base class would automatically apply to the subclasses.

                  Anyway, again thanks for your help. Any additional pointers appreciated.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 6, 2010
                    Maybe I should try these things first before I post....

                    I think I got it:

                    CLASS:Priest<TAB>HD:6<TAB><TAB>TYPE:Base.PC<TAB>ABB:Pri<TAB><TAB>BONUS:CHECKS|BASE.Will|((CL/2)+2)<TAB>BONUS:CHECKS|BASE.Reflex,BASE.Fortitude|(CL/3)<TAB>BONUS:DOMAIN|NUMBER|1<TAB>BONUS:COMBAT|BAB|(CL/2)|TYPE=Base.REPLACE<TAB>SOURCEPAGE:p.10
                    CLASS:Priest<TAB>STARTSKILLPTS:4<TAB>CSKILL:Concentration|TYPE.Craft|Diplomacy|Heal|TYPE.Knowledge|TYPE.Profession|Spellcraft
                    CLASS:Priest<TAB>SPELLSTAT:CHA<TAB>SPELLTYPE:Divine<TAB>MEMORIZE:NO<TAB>BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|Priest|CL<TAB>
                    CLASS:Priest<TAB>ALLOWBASECLASS:NO
                    SUBCLASS:Air Priest<TAB>COST:0<TAB>CHOICE:DESCRIPTOR|PriA<TAB>SPELLLIST:3|Fire Priest|Water Priest|Air Priest
                    SUBCLASS:Water Priest<TAB>COST:0<TAB>CHOICE:DESCRIPTOR|PriW<TAB>SPELLLIST:3|Water Priest|Air Priest|Earth Priest
                    SUBCLASS:Fire Priest<TAB>COST:0<TAB>CHOICE:DESCRIPTOR|PriF<TAB>SPELLLIST:3|Fire Priest|Air Priest|Earth Priest
                    SUBCLASS:Earth Priest<TAB>COST:0<TAB>CHOICE:DESCRIPTOR|PriE<TAB>SPELLLIST:3|Fire Priest|Water Priest|Earth Priest
                    1<TAB>CAST:5,3<TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB>KNOWN:2,1<TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB>SPECIALTYKNOWN:2,1

                    The spellstat is progressed into the subclass as it should be (it just isn't listed as such in the selection screen)
                    No need for prohibited descriptor (since the spell list is already unavailable for the opposing element)

                    The spell selection screen is a bit confusing (since it lists specialty spells and spells from domain as one number instead of two) and domain spell slots get added too early.

                    Still one thing left: can I automatically select a deity from the class lst file? I tried setting the allowed diety on the subclass line, but that didn't work.
                  • herzogaldilkassach
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 6, 2010
                      missed tyr's earlier comments.
                      using ADDOMAINS with PRESUBCLASS now...

                      still one oddity left: for some reason the spell selection screen shows spell levels up to lvl 25 in the tree view. No spells in the tree, but odd nonetheless.
                      Seems to be connected to domains (same happens when I add domains to a normal cleric)

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 6, 2010

                        Yeah, ignore the Level 10+ spells.

                        You've posted three updates, and my time is limited - What is still not
                        working as desired?

                        On 1/6/2010 1:55 AM, herzogaldilkassach wrote:
                        > missed tyr's earlier comments.
                        > using ADDOMAINS with PRESUBCLASS now...
                        >
                        > still one oddity left: for some reason the spell selection screen shows spell levels up to lvl 25 in the tree view. No spells in the tree, but odd nonetheless.
                        > Seems to be connected to domains (same happens when I add domains to a normal cleric)
                        >

                        > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "herzogaldilkassach"<herzogaldilkassach@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> Maybe I should try these things first before I post....
                        >>
                        >> I think I got it:

                        >> CLASS:Priest<TAB>HD:6<TAB><TAB>TYPE:Base.PC<TAB>ABB:Pri<TAB><TAB>BONUS:CHECKS|BASE.Will|((CL/2)+2)<TAB>BONUS:CHECKS|BASE.Reflex,BASE.Fortitude|(CL/3)<TAB>BONUS:DOMAIN|NUMBER|1<TAB>BONUS:COMBAT|BAB|(CL/2)|TYPE=Base.REPLACE<TAB>SOURCEPAGE:p.10
                        >> CLASS:Priest<TAB>STARTSKILLPTS:4<TAB>CSKILL:Concentration|TYPE.Craft|Diplomacy|Heal|TYPE.Knowledge|TYPE.Profession|Spellcraft
                        >> CLASS:Priest<TAB>SPELLSTAT:CHA<TAB>SPELLTYPE:Divine<TAB>MEMORIZE:NO<TAB>BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|Priest|CL<TAB>
                        >> CLASS:Priest<TAB>ALLOWBASECLASS:NO
                        >> SUBCLASS:Air Priest<TAB>COST:0<TAB>CHOICE:DESCRIPTOR|PriA<TAB>SPELLLIST:3|Fire Priest|Water Priest|Air Priest
                        >> SUBCLASS:Water Priest<TAB>COST:0<TAB>CHOICE:DESCRIPTOR|PriW<TAB>SPELLLIST:3|Water Priest|Air Priest|Earth Priest
                        >> SUBCLASS:Fire Priest<TAB>COST:0<TAB>CHOICE:DESCRIPTOR|PriF<TAB>SPELLLIST:3|Fire Priest|Air Priest|Earth Priest
                        >> SUBCLASS:Earth Priest<TAB>COST:0<TAB>CHOICE:DESCRIPTOR|PriE<TAB>SPELLLIST:3|Fire Priest|Water Priest|Earth Priest
                        >> 1<TAB>CAST:5,3<TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB>KNOWN:2,1<TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB>SPECIALTYKNOWN:2,1

                        >> The spellstat is progressed into the subclass as it should be (it just isn't listed as such in the selection screen)
                        >> No need for prohibited descriptor (since the spell list is already unavailable for the opposing element)
                        >>
                        >> The spell selection screen is a bit confusing (since it lists specialty spells and spells from domain as one number instead of two) and domain spell slots get added too early.
                        >>
                        >> Still one thing left: can I automatically select a deity from the class lst file? I tried setting the allowed diety on the subclass line, but that didn't work.

                        Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
                      • herzogaldilkassach
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 6, 2010
                          sorry about that.
                          I've posted the 10+ spells problem as a bug on the news and notes group.

                          All other parts are working now, just wanted to let people know that fact when I found out myself how to do things :)

                          Thanks for your help.