Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Noob questiions

  • John Kantner
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2010
      Rod:

      Ah, glad to see you took my advice and came over here!

      Let's get right to it. I wrote a very basic walk-through a few weeks ago (it
      will become part of the documentation on the PCGen site, soon, once I do
      some edits to make it a bit more generic) but I still suggest you start with
      it. You'll learn a lot about how .lst files work, first and foremost. And
      that's most important right now.

      Here's the link:

      The walkthrough I wrote is very step-by-step and it will teach you how to
      create a custom item (in the walk-through you learn how to create a special
      bow).

      I know you don't want to create a bow. You want to create a feat. But follow
      the walk-through anyway. I promise it won't take long and you'll end up
      knowing exactly how the .lst files work.

      Now as for your specific questions:

      >by this i mean, (for example) which .lst files should i be editing in order
      to keep my custom content safe when upgrading to new versions of pcgen in
      the future?

      This is basically answered in the walkthrough. Short answer? Don't edit any
      of the current RSRD stuff included with PCGen. Only edit the "my_data" stuff
      (read the walk-through and you'll understand). Referencing the RSRD files is
      sometimes a great way to figure things out (e.g. you want to create a spell
      that's "like" Fireball, but with a few changes... why not look up how the
      "real" Fireball is written first as a jumping off point?), but editing it
      could mess things up. Using the "My_Data" files, on the other hand, makes
      all your resources your own.

      After going through the walk-through I think you'll have a firmer grasp on
      things. Give it a go. Tell us how it works out for you. Then you can tell us
      exactly what you want to do and trust me, Andrew or Eric or many of the
      others who hang around her all the time will be able to give you the nuts
      and bolts.

      The walk-through explains why cars need to have fuel in them. Once you
      understand that you'll be able to ask more specific questions. Until then,
      if you do have any questions, feel free to ask. Don't worry about sounding
      stupid: do a search for my posts in this group and trust me, you'll find a
      ton of really, really stupid questions, too!

      John

    • Rod Smith
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2010
        Might be a few days before I can get it looked at, but I'll take a look as
        soon as I can wangle some spare time - thanks John!

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2010
          Hi Rod,

          We have syntax highlighter for Notepad++ if you find you like the
          interface. Syntax Highlighter is a great tool to help you spot errors in
          you personal coding.

          Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
        • Rod
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2010
            Ah that sounds damn useful! I had a quick look in the files section here but could not see it. Where should I go to get the files for the syntax highlighter?

> [...]
            > >> could mess things up. Using the "My_Data" files, on the other hand, makes
            > >> all your resources your own.
            > >>
            > >> After going through the walk-through I think you'll have a firmer grasp on
            > >> things. Give it a go. Tell us how it works out for you. Then you can tell
            > >> us
            > >> exactly what you want to do and trust me, Andrew or Eric or many of the
            > >> others who hang around her all the time will be able to give you the nuts
            > >> and bolts.
            > >>
            > >> The walk-through explains why cars need to have fuel in them. Once you
            > >> understand that you'll be able to ask more specific questions. Until then,
            > >> if you do have any questions, feel free to ask. Don't worry about sounding
            > >> stupid: do a search for my posts in this group and trust me, you'll find a
            > >> ton of really, really stupid questions, too!

          • Rod
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 5, 2010
              anyone know where the files for the notepad++ syntax highlighter can be found?

              --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Rod" <rodjsmith@...> wrote:

              > Ah that sounds damn useful! I had a quick look in the files section here but could not see it. Where should I go to get the files for the syntax highlighter?
              >
              > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Rod,
              > >
              > > We have syntax highlighter for Notepad++ if you find you like the
              > > interface. Syntax Highlighter is a great tool to help you spot errors in
              > > you personal coding.
              > >

              > > On 1/2/2010 2:31 PM, Rod Smith wrote:
              > > > Might be a few days before I can get it looked at, but I'll take a look as
              > > > soon as I can wangle some spare time - thanks John!

              > > --
              > >
              > > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
              > > Admin Silverback, PCGen Board of Directors
              > > Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

            • karianna03
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 5, 2010
                Hi there