Noob questiions

  • Rod
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2010
      hey guys .. i'm new to this but about to dive in and start to learn the ins and outs of .lst files etc

      i've got notepad++ (which seems ok for now) and read some of the documentation about lst file formats etc but didn't really come across any info regarding best practices when making custom content..

      by this i mean, (for example) which .lst files should i be editing in order to keep my custom content safe when upgrading to new versions of pcgen in the future?

      it's for a dnd 3.5 game, so do i just edit the data/d20ogl/srd3.5/basics .lst files or can i include my custom content in a different .lst file (data/my_dataset for instance) and reference that .lst file using an entry in a .pcc file somewhere?

      so i guess i'm asking, whats the standard way to add my own content in .lst files without clobbering the content that comes with PCGen and allowing me to keep my custom content safe when upgrading to a new version of PCGen?

      if someone can outline the basics for me (or point me to some reading that contains said info) i'd appreciate it!

      cheers,

      rod
    • John Kantner
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2010
        Rod:

        Ah, glad to see you took my advice and came over here!

        Let's get right to it. I wrote a very basic walk-through a few weeks ago (it
        will become part of the documentation on the PCGen site, soon, once I do
        some edits to make it a bit more generic) but I still suggest you start with
        it. You'll learn a lot about how .lst files work, first and foremost. And
        that's most important right now.

        Here's the link:

        The walkthrough I wrote is very step-by-step and it will teach you how to
        create a custom item (in the walk-through you learn how to create a special
        bow).

        I know you don't want to create a bow. You want to create a feat. But follow
        the walk-through anyway. I promise it won't take long and you'll end up
        knowing exactly how the .lst files work.

        Now as for your specific questions:

        >by this i mean, (for example) which .lst files should i be editing in order
        to keep my custom content safe when upgrading to new versions of pcgen in
        the future?

        This is basically answered in the walkthrough. Short answer? Don't edit any
        of the current RSRD stuff included with PCGen. Only edit the "my_data" stuff
        (read the walk-through and you'll understand). Referencing the RSRD files is
        sometimes a great way to figure things out (e.g. you want to create a spell
        that's "like" Fireball, but with a few changes... why not look up how the
        "real" Fireball is written first as a jumping off point?), but editing it
        could mess things up. Using the "My_Data" files, on the other hand, makes
        all your resources your own.

        After going through the walk-through I think you'll have a firmer grasp on
        things. Give it a go. Tell us how it works out for you. Then you can tell us
        exactly what you want to do and trust me, Andrew or Eric or many of the
        others who hang around her all the time will be able to give you the nuts
        and bolts.

        The walk-through explains why cars need to have fuel in them. Once you
        understand that you'll be able to ask more specific questions. Until then,
        if you do have any questions, feel free to ask. Don't worry about sounding
        stupid: do a search for my posts in this group and trust me, you'll find a
        ton of really, really stupid questions, too!

        John

      • Rod Smith
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2010
          Might be a few days before I can get it looked at, but I'll take a look as
          soon as I can wangle some spare time - thanks John!

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2010
            Hi Rod,

            We have syntax highlighter for Notepad++ if you find you like the
            interface. Syntax Highlighter is a great tool to help you spot errors in
            you personal coding.

            Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
          • Rod
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 3, 2010
              Ah that sounds damn useful! I had a quick look in the files section here but could not see it. Where should I go to get the files for the syntax highlighter?

> [...]
              > >> could mess things up. Using the "My_Data" files, on the other hand, makes
              > >> all your resources your own.
              > >>
              > >> After going through the walk-through I think you'll have a firmer grasp on
              > >> things. Give it a go. Tell us how it works out for you. Then you can tell
              > >> us
              > >> exactly what you want to do and trust me, Andrew or Eric or many of the
              > >> others who hang around her all the time will be able to give you the nuts
              > >> and bolts.
              > >>
              > >> The walk-through explains why cars need to have fuel in them. Once you
              > >> understand that you'll be able to ask more specific questions. Until then,
              > >> if you do have any questions, feel free to ask. Don't worry about sounding
              > >> stupid: do a search for my posts in this group and trust me, you'll find a
              > >> ton of really, really stupid questions, too!

            • Rod
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 5, 2010
                anyone know where the files for the notepad++ syntax highlighter can be found?

                --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Rod" <rodjsmith@...> wrote:

                > Ah that sounds damn useful! I had a quick look in the files section here but could not see it. Where should I go to get the files for the syntax highlighter?
                >
                > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Rod,
                > >
                > > We have syntax highlighter for Notepad++ if you find you like the
                > > interface. Syntax Highlighter is a great tool to help you spot errors in
                > > you personal coding.
                > >

                > > On 1/2/2010 2:31 PM, Rod Smith wrote:
                > > > Might be a few days before I can get it looked at, but I'll take a look as
                > > > soon as I can wangle some spare time - thanks John!

                > > --
                > >
                > > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                > > Admin Silverback, PCGen Board of Directors
                > > Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

              • karianna03
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 5, 2010
                  Hi there