Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] New Items/Weapons

  • John Kantner
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2010
      Gus,

      It will work in the new release. Let us know how it turns out!

      John

      On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 3:26 PM, Gustavo Oliveira <gustavobyu@...>wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > Name of Your New Weapon", whatever it was, in the "inventory" tab after you
      >
      > load your character. Assuming that the coding Andrew gave was correct (and
      >
      > in my experience he's correct about 95% of the time) your new weapon should
      >
      > look exactly the way you want it to.
      >
      > I hope this little walkthrough has helped in some way. If you have anymore
      >
      > questions, never hesitate to ask. I may not be able to answer them (as
      >
      > mentioned before I am in no way near the level of level of a true monkey)
      >
      > but many others who monitor this definitely can.
      >
      > I wrote this walkthrough because I assume that you, Gus, are like me: a
      >
      > simple lover of PCGen who wants to include non-OGL info in his campaign but
      >
      > who doesn't understand anything about "coding". If I'm wrong and it turns
      >
      > out you're an expert and it sounds like I've been talking down to you, I
      >
      > apologize. But if I'm write, please allow me to give you a couple pieces of
      >
      > advice:
      >
      > First, in the future you should always state which version of PCGen you are
      >
      > running, what your computer's OS is, and which sources you already use
      > (e.g.
      >
      > RSRD, Pathfinder, etc.).
      >
      > Second, never ever ever mention the name of a copyrighted, non-OGL source.
      >
      > The folks at PCGen strictly adhere to the OGL. You didn't do this so I'm
      >
      > assuming you already know this but I would be remiss if I didn't point out
      >
      > this huge no-no.
      >
      > One last thing: PCGen is awesome because it can basically do anything. Want
      >
      > to add spells? Feats? Races? Equipment? Gods? Domains? Etc? You can do it.
      >
      > For people like me, who happens to be hanging out at the second-from-
      > lowest
      >
      > ladder on the coding skill ladder, it can seem amazingly difficult at times
      >
      > to do it. But posting a question here usually clears it all up right away.
      >
      > The monkeys who hang out here are really cool and they don't make you feel
      >
      > stupid for being ignorant. My only problem with PCGen is that the
      >
      > walkthroughs on its site are definitely not meant for n00bs.
      >
      > I hope this one was. That was my goal, at least, because I'm barely out of
      >
      > n00b-dom myself. Honestly, I'm probably still there. If I messed up at all
      >
      > please let me know. Ask more questions. Once you learn how to do a few
      >
      > things it's actually not that hard (plus then you'll start to know what
      >
      > specific questions to ask). But everyone here is pretty cool and I've never
      >
      > seen anyone say, "WTF? Are you a freaking moron!?!?" comment in the months
      >
      > I've been here. This is a small group. It's not a troll-infested group of
      >
      > Internet jerks.
      >
      > Again, I hope the information I provided was useful. Please let me know if
      >
      > it worked (all credit for coding should go to Andrew; all I did was give
      > you
      >
      > the step-by-step assuming you needed it). If it didn't work please post the
      >
      > error message here or explain what didn't work.

      "The people you think are on your side are actually vampires sucking your
      blood; the people you think are out to destroy you and America are actually
      trying to save you--and you're throwing away the life vest they've thrown
      you because the predators pretending to be your friends told you it's a
      bomb." --NYTimes commentator 'Ehkzu' in a Times editors' selection, August
      7, 2009

    • Gustavo Oliveira
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 6, 2010
        I must have done something wrong.  I followed these directions given in the previous email, and it hasn't worked for me at all.  I'm a little at a loss here, and asking what went wrong is a dumb question, huh?
        Thanks for everything though.

      • Ainvar G
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 6, 2010
          Don't give up, Gus! Are you seeing errors or are you just not seeing what you expect to see? If you post your code thus far, someone might be able to track down what went wrong. As John indicated, there are a lot of folks lurking here that want you to be successful in this, but they will need more information about what you are seeing to help you get to the bottom of this.

          AinvarG

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 6, 2010
            John,
            Thanks for the effort.  Have you tried the new version? 5.16.2??
            I followed your instructions to the letter, and it didn't work for me.  If you happen to know how to troubleshoot this, I'm all ears!
            BTW, those instructions were awesome!  There was no way I could be misled!
            Thanks, Gus

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 6, 2010
              This is what My__campaign looks like:
              # CVS $Revision: 6294 $ $Author: amaitland $ -- Fri Dec  9 22:23:18 2005 -- reformated by prettylst.pl v1.35 (build 553)CAMPAIGN:WardsGAMEMODE:35eRANK:8GENRE:FantasyBOOKTYPE:HomebrewSETTING:My Homebrew CampaignTYPE:Homebrew.MyCampaignPUBNAMELONG:My HomebrewPUBNAMESHORT:HomebrewPUBNAMEWEB:http://www.mywebsite.comSOURCELONG:My CampaignSOURCESHORT:MySOURCEWEB:http://www.mywebsite.comSOURCEDATE:2008-01ISOGL:NOCOPYRIGHT:My Campaign, Copyright 2005 by me
              #INFOTEXT:To display an Information in the Source Info section on the Source Materials tab, replace the text after 'INFOTEXT:' with your text and remove the '#'
              #ABILITY:my_abilities.lst#ABILITYCATEGORY:my_ability_categories.lst#BIOSET:my_biosettings.lst#CLASS:my_classes.lst#COMPANIONMOD:my_companionmods.lst#DEITY:my_deities.lst#DOMAIN:my_domains.lstEQUIPMENT:my_equipment.lst#EQUIPMOD:my_equipmods.lst#FEAT:my_feats.lst#KIT:my_kits.lst#LANGUAGE:my_languages.lst#RACE:my_races.lst#SKILL:my_skills.lst#SPELL:my_spells.lst#TEMPLATE:my_templates.lstWEAPONPROF:my_weaponprofs.lst
              ### You can hide TYPEs in the GUI - TYPEs are handy for organization, but some are only used for internal functions.#HIDETYPE:EQUIP|SpecialSuppressor#HIDETYPE:SKILL|Science#HIDETYPE:FEAT|Leadership
              #Remove the '#' in front of those lines referring to files that you actually want to load#Remember to set the GAMEMODE to the one you really want.#Options in the Open Source data are 3e, 35e, Modern, Deadlands, Sidewinder, Spycraft, or Xcrawl.
              #If you use this framework to set up a dataset of your own, then you may want to rename the folder and files to something#different. Otherwise if you ever should install a newer version of PCGen into your existing directory or needed to re-install#your existing installation of PCGen, your changes would get overwritten and thus be lost.

              From: John Kantner <jkantner@gmail. com>

              To: PCGenListFileHelp@ yahoogroups. com

              Date: Friday, January 1, 2010, 1:36 PM

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 6, 2010
                Hi Gus,

                Are you loading 'my campaign' along with the rsrd set?
                Did you uncomment - remove the '#' before the relevant call, i.e. if you
                added equipment, did you remove the # from before the
                'EQUIPMENT:blah.lst' in the 'mycampaign.pcc' file?
                Did you restart pcgen, if it was already loaded. Any pcc file changes
                will not be recognized until pcgen is restarted.

                Feel free to post a snippet of code as long as it doesn't have any
                closed content information, (Basically no name or DESC/BENEFIT tag.) If
                you feel that is too hard, you may email me direct with the files you
                have modified. It's usually a simple oversight that causes the issue.
                One of those "D'oh" moments.

                - Andrew

                Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
              • arjan_van_ginneken
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 7, 2010
                  Nicely done!

                  I have one tip however. I strongly suggest to copy the my_dataset folder and rename it! I've lost my dataset more than once by (re)installing PCGen in the same folder.

                  Safest way to do this is put your own datasets in a folder not in the PCGen tree and point PCGen to it through the preferences. That way you won't loose your dataset to easily.

                  Go to Settings - Preferences - PCGen - Location - PCGen Vendor Data Directory to set this option.

                  Regards,
                  Arjan

                  --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, John Kantner <jkantner@...> wrote:

                  <snip walkthrough>