Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] New Items/Weapons

  • John Kantner
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 22, 2009
      I'm sure Andrew's post is absolutely correct but I think Gus was looking for
      a more thorough walkthrough so I'll expand on what Andrew said. I'm brand
      new to editing list files myself, btw.

      Gus, the first thing you need to do is go to where your PCGen files are
      located. For me it's at C:\Program Files\PCGen\PCGen5160. I think this is
      the default path (except, of course, I'm running an older version).

      Now go to the \data\ folder. After that you should go to the \my_dataset
      folder.

      Now follow these steps:
      1.) Use any text-editor program to open the file "my_campaign.pcc" (I use
      MS-Notepad with the Word Wrap feature disabled; this will be important
      later... that option, btw, is under "Format" in the toolbar in Notepad. I
      think the default for it is to have a checkmark next to it; just unclick the
      checkmark if it's there).
      2.) A pound sign (#) in front of any line means that that line will be
      ignored by PCGen. You need to make sure the following lines do not have #'s
      at the beginning:
      CAMPAIGN
      GAMEMODE
      RANK
      GENRE
      BOOKTYPE
      SETTING
      TYPE
      PUBNAMELONG
      PUBNAMESHORT
      PUBNAMEWEB
      SOURCELONG
      SOURCESHORT
      SOURCEWEB
      SOURCEDATE
      ISOGL
      COPYRIGHT

      3.) Now go to the "CAMPAIGN:" line. Replace whatever comes after the colon
      with the name of your campaign (mine simply reads as CAMPAIGN:Encrypters
      because Encrypters is the name of my gaming group).

      4.) The next line is GAMEMODE:. Mine reads GAMEMODE:35e because, guess what?
      I play D&D 3.5! Sounds like you do, too, or Pathfinder (or 3.0). If you play
      Pathfinder or 3.0 you need to find out what GAMEMODE to use. I bet Andrew
      can answer that one for you but unfortunately I can't.

      5.) I Ignored the rest of the lines here (RANK through COPYRIGHT). You can
      mess around with that stuff later once you get to know how this all works.
      It doesn't affect what you want to do in any way unless you're a publisher
      or something.

      6.) You do need to remove the # in front of these two lines too:
      EQUIPMENT:my_equipment.lst and WEAPONPROF:my_weaponprofs.lst. The reason you
      do this is simple: with the # in front PCGen will ignore those lines. But
      you don't want PCGen to ignore those lines. You want PCGen to know that with
      this new campaign resource you're creating, these files will be necessary.
      For example, in my campaign I've only created new spells and new feats so in
      my PCC file there is no pound in front of the FEAT:my_feats.lst line and the
      SPELL:my_spells.lst line.

      7.) Now that you've done all this you need to save the file. Don't rename
      it: just save it.

      8.) Now use your text editor (I'm assuming by now that you're using what I
      use, MS-Notepad) to open the file: \data\my_dataset\my_equipment.lst.
      There's a lot of information in there you might want to read through to get
      a firmer understanding of how all this works, but I'll warn you on one
      thing: do NOT delete any line that does not begin with a #. For the purposes
      of this walkthrough, and assuming you've followed my instructions exactly so
      far, this is not a good idea. Trust me.

      9.) Just under the fourth line from the top is a line that reads "#insert
      your data here". Put your cursor at the end of this line and hit enter.

      10.) You should be on a whole new line. You are now about to create your
      weapon. Excited? Here's what you do:
      10a.) Remembering not to put in a # sign, enter this info WITHOUT going to a
      new line (all this information needs to be on the same line; that's why we
      turned off Word Wrap earlier-- these lines get long!):
      The Name of Your New Weapon
      (tab or double tab, doesn't matter in my experience)
      TYPE:Ranged.Piercing.Martial.Exotic
      (tab or double tab, doesn't matter in my experience)
      RANGE:130
      (tab or double tab, doesn't matter in my experience)
      DAMAGE:1d10
      (tab or double tab, doesn't matter in my experience)
      PROFICIENCY:WEAPON|The Name of Your New Weapon

      11.) You're done with this file. Cross your fingers, save the file, and
      close it.

      12.) Now open the file \my_dataset\my_weaponprofs.lst file using good ol'
      MS-Notepad.

      13.) Repeat step 9.

      14.) Once again, remembering not to put in a # sign, enter this info WITHOUT
      ever going to a new line. ALL THE FOLLOWING INFO NEEDS TO BE ON THE SAME
      LINE! We use Tabs to seperate the information so PCGen can read it all
      correctly. On this list, though, a "break" in coding advice represents a tab
      because... it's not important. Just follow these instructions:
      14a.) The Name of Your New Weapon
      (tab or double tab, doesn't matter in my experience)
      TYPE:Martial.Ranged.Piercing

      15.) Grats, man, you're done. Now how do you get this to show up in PCGen?

      16.) First, open PCGen. If you had it running already you should close it
      and open it again.

      17.) Load your sources. I play 3.5 so I load that first; because I don't
      know what source you use I'll just assume you use the same.

      18.) Now you have to load a new source: the one you created in step 7. Yeah,
      I didn't tell you back then that you were creating a source file (that was
      the my_campaign.pcc file) because I wanted it to be a surprise. :D
      18a.) *Assuming you're using the Advanced Screen and not the Basic Screen*,
      on the left pane of the source-load screen, find the "Homebrew" source in
      the "Source Material" column. Throw that one over to the right pane the same
      way you would throw over your regular Source Material. If you're using Basic
      I don't know what to tell you. In the version of PCGen that I have (I'm too
      nervous to upgrade; I only barely understand this one but it works for me,
      it's not too old (v.5.16.0) and it serves my needs so why upgrade?) the
      "Basic" screen gives me all sorts of problems when I load sources from
      there.
      18b.) The point is that you need to load your main source material and your
      Homebrew source material before doing anything else. So hit the "load"
      button in the right frame. If you messed anything up following this
      walkthrough (or if I messed anything up writing it) then you will get
      errors. You should copy and paste those errors into a reply to this message
      so we (or more likely the real monkeys) can advise you on how to fix them.

      19.) Assuming there were no errors you should now be able to find the "The
      Name of Your New Weapon", whatever it was, in the "inventory" tab after you
      load your character. Assuming that the coding Andrew gave was correct (and
      in my experience he's correct about 95% of the time) your new weapon should
      look exactly the way you want it to.

      I hope this little walkthrough has helped in some way. If you have anymore
      questions, never hesitate to ask. I may not be able to answer them (as
      mentioned before I am in no way near the level of level of a true monkey)
      but many others who monitor this definitely can.

      I wrote this walkthrough because I assume that you, Gus, are like me: a
      simple lover of PCGen who wants to include non-OGL info in his campaign but
      who doesn't understand anything about "coding". If I'm wrong and it turns
      out you're an expert and it sounds like I've been talking down to you, I
      apologize. But if I'm write, please allow me to give you a couple pieces of
      advice:

      First, in the future you should always state which version of PCGen you are
      running, what your computer's OS is, and which sources you already use (e.g.
      RSRD, Pathfinder, etc.).

      Second, never ever ever mention the name of a copyrighted, non-OGL source.
      The folks at PCGen strictly adhere to the OGL. You didn't do this so I'm
      assuming you already know this but I would be remiss if I didn't point out
      this huge no-no.

      One last thing: PCGen is awesome because it can basically do anything. Want
      to add spells? Feats? Races? Equipment? Gods? Domains? Etc? You can do it.
      For people like me, who happens to be hanging out at the second-from-lowest
      ladder on the coding skill ladder, it can seem amazingly difficult at times
      to do it. But posting a question here usually clears it all up right away.
      The monkeys who hang out here are really cool and they don't make you feel
      stupid for being ignorant. My only problem with PCGen is that the
      walkthroughs on its site are definitely not meant for n00bs.

      I hope this one was. That was my goal, at least, because I'm barely out of
      n00b-dom myself. Honestly, I'm probably still there. If I messed up at all
      please let me know. Ask more questions. Once you learn how to do a few
      things it's actually not that hard (plus then you'll start to know what
      specific questions to ask). But everyone here is pretty cool and I've never
      seen anyone say, "WTF? Are you a freaking moron!?!?" comment in the months
      I've been here. This is a small group. It's not a troll-infested group of
      Internet jerks.

      Again, I hope the information I provided was useful. Please let me know if
      it worked (all credit for coding should go to Andrew; all I did was give you
      the step-by-step assuming you needed it). If it didn't work please post the
      error message here or explain what didn't work.

      Narrinian

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 22, 2009
        I think you just made one. ;) I'll package this up and send it to get
        added.

        Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
      • Ainvar G
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 22, 2009
          As a long-time lurker and occasional dabbler in the LST files, I have to say, "Well done!" I think you don't give yourself enough credit on your depth of knowledge, but your documentation is easy to follow and I'm sure others following in your footsteps will appreciate it.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 1, 2010
            WOW!  That's exactly what I needed.  Do you think that also works in the new release?  I'll give it a whirl.  I appreciate this very much, John.  Thanks, Gus

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 1, 2010
              Gus,

              It will work in the new release. Let us know how it turns out!

              John

              On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 3:26 PM, Gustavo Oliveira <gustavobyu@...>wrote:

> [...]
              >
              > I hope this one was. That was my goal, at least, because I'm barely out of
              >
              > n00b-dom myself. Honestly, I'm probably still there. If I messed up at all
              >
              > please let me know. Ask more questions. Once you learn how to do a few
              >
              > things it's actually not that hard (plus then you'll start to know what
              >
              > specific questions to ask). But everyone here is pretty cool and I've never
              >
              > seen anyone say, "WTF? Are you a freaking moron!?!?" comment in the months
              >
              > I've been here. This is a small group. It's not a troll-infested group of
              >
              > Internet jerks.
              >
              > Again, I hope the information I provided was useful. Please let me know if
              >
              > it worked (all credit for coding should go to Andrew; all I did was give
              > you
              >
              > the step-by-step assuming you needed it). If it didn't work please post the
              >
              > error message here or explain what didn't work.

              "The people you think are on your side are actually vampires sucking your
              blood; the people you think are out to destroy you and America are actually
              trying to save you--and you're throwing away the life vest they've thrown
              you because the predators pretending to be your friends told you it's a
              bomb." --NYTimes commentator 'Ehkzu' in a Times editors' selection, August
              7, 2009

            • Gustavo Oliveira
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 6, 2010
                I must have done something wrong.  I followed these directions given in the previous email, and it hasn't worked for me at all.  I'm a little at a loss here, and asking what went wrong is a dumb question, huh?
                Thanks for everything though.

                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 6, 2010
                  Don't give up, Gus! Are you seeing errors or are you just not seeing what you expect to see? If you post your code thus far, someone might be able to track down what went wrong. As John indicated, there are a lot of folks lurking here that want you to be successful in this, but they will need more information about what you are seeing to help you get to the bottom of this.

                  AinvarG

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 6, 2010
                    John,
                    Thanks for the effort.  Have you tried the new version? 5.16.2??
                    I followed your instructions to the letter, and it didn't work for me.  If you happen to know how to troubleshoot this, I'm all ears!
                    BTW, those instructions were awesome!  There was no way I could be misled!
                    Thanks, Gus

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 6, 2010
                      This is what My__campaign looks like:
                      # CVS $Revision: 6294 $ $Author: amaitland $ -- Fri Dec  9 22:23:18 2005 -- reformated by prettylst.pl v1.35 (build 553)CAMPAIGN:WardsGAMEMODE:35eRANK:8GENRE:FantasyBOOKTYPE:HomebrewSETTING:My Homebrew CampaignTYPE:Homebrew.MyCampaignPUBNAMELONG:My HomebrewPUBNAMESHORT:HomebrewPUBNAMEWEB:http://www.mywebsite.comSOURCELONG:My CampaignSOURCESHORT:MySOURCEWEB:http://www.mywebsite.comSOURCEDATE:2008-01ISOGL:NOCOPYRIGHT:My Campaign, Copyright 2005 by me
                      #INFOTEXT:To display an Information in the Source Info section on the Source Materials tab, replace the text after 'INFOTEXT:' with your text and remove the '#'
                      #ABILITY:my_abilities.lst#ABILITYCATEGORY:my_ability_categories.lst#BIOSET:my_biosettings.lst#CLASS:my_classes.lst#COMPANIONMOD:my_companionmods.lst#DEITY:my_deities.lst#DOMAIN:my_domains.lstEQUIPMENT:my_equipment.lst#EQUIPMOD:my_equipmods.lst#FEAT:my_feats.lst#KIT:my_kits.lst#LANGUAGE:my_languages.lst#RACE:my_races.lst#SKILL:my_skills.lst#SPELL:my_spells.lst#TEMPLATE:my_templates.lstWEAPONPROF:my_weaponprofs.lst
                      ### You can hide TYPEs in the GUI - TYPEs are handy for organization, but some are only used for internal functions.#HIDETYPE:EQUIP|SpecialSuppressor#HIDETYPE:SKILL|Science#HIDETYPE:FEAT|Leadership
                      #Remove the '#' in front of those lines referring to files that you actually want to load#Remember to set the GAMEMODE to the one you really want.#Options in the Open Source data are 3e, 35e, Modern, Deadlands, Sidewinder, Spycraft, or Xcrawl.
                      #If you use this framework to set up a dataset of your own, then you may want to rename the folder and files to something#different. Otherwise if you ever should install a newer version of PCGen into your existing directory or needed to re-install#your existing installation of PCGen, your changes would get overwritten and thus be lost.

                      From: John Kantner <jkantner@gmail. com>

                      To: PCGenListFileHelp@ yahoogroups. com

                      Date: Friday, January 1, 2010, 1:36 PM

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 6, 2010
                        Hi Gus,

                        Are you loading 'my campaign' along with the rsrd set?
                        Did you uncomment - remove the '#' before the relevant call, i.e. if you
                        added equipment, did you remove the # from before the
                        'EQUIPMENT:blah.lst' in the 'mycampaign.pcc' file?
                        Did you restart pcgen, if it was already loaded. Any pcc file changes
                        will not be recognized until pcgen is restarted.

                        Feel free to post a snippet of code as long as it doesn't have any
                        closed content information, (Basically no name or DESC/BENEFIT tag.) If
                        you feel that is too hard, you may email me direct with the files you
                        have modified. It's usually a simple oversight that causes the issue.
                        One of those "D'oh" moments.

                        - Andrew

                        Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
                      • arjan_van_ginneken
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 7, 2010
                          Nicely done!

                          I have one tip however. I strongly suggest to copy the my_dataset folder and rename it! I've lost my dataset more than once by (re)installing PCGen in the same folder.

                          Safest way to do this is put your own datasets in a folder not in the PCGen tree and point PCGen to it through the preferences. That way you won't loose your dataset to easily.

                          Go to Settings - Preferences - PCGen - Location - PCGen Vendor Data Directory to set this option.

                          Regards,
                          Arjan

                          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, John Kantner <jkantner@...> wrote:

                          <snip walkthrough>