Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Cancel out abilities

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 3, 2009
      REMOVE:ABILITY removes an object at character run, from the character
      that already had that ability from user choice or LST calls. You are
      trying to modify modify setup of options before character load, so
      .MOD and .CLEAR, etc. are what you want.

      I have a better idea. Esp. since I just did a bunch of stuff for UA
      in my 5.6.1 update and testing. :p (Someone might want to record
      this, because I think I'm basically writing something that could
      easily be incorporated into a LST Class for the Docs.

      Remove the ability with .CLEAR, and add whatever you want later with
      whatever PREreqs, or even Ability Pools.

      For example:
      UA has 2 variants for Barbarian Rage / Indomitable Will, so there are
      now 3 options I want to choose from.
      - Standard like SRD
      - "Whirling Frenzy"
      - "Hunter" (replace Rage and Indomitable Will with Favored Enemy and
      Archery Combat Style stuff)

      In my coding below, I'm putting one tag per class level line. I
      didn't do it in my files, but it makes it easier to clarify that there
      is tabs between tags... Consider a tab between level line and the tag
      listed.

      First thing I did, is remove all the old references and give myself a
      clean slate:
      CLASS:Barbarian.MOD
      1 BONUS:VAR|BarbRageTimesLVL,BarbRagePowerLVL|-CL
      1 ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|.CLEAR.Barbarian Rage|.CLEAR.Rage
      14 ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|.CLEAR.Indomitable Will

      With just that above, Loading Barbarian removes all of his Rage /
      Indomitable Will stuff, completely. The BONUS:VAR negation is for a
      corner case: what if at a future date a character used "Hunter"
      version, but had "Rage" from a racial ability (like 1/day or
      something).

      Next, I need to set up an Ability Pool for my choices. I can then
      test that they are working, and after that, I can add the various bits
      to that framework.

      Ability Category file (called with ABILITYCATEGORY tag in PCC), all on
      one line separated by tabs:
      ABILITYCATEGORY:Barbarian Rage Variant
      VISIBLE:QUALIFY
      EDITABLE:NO
      EDITPOOL:YES
      FRACTIONALPOOL:NO
      CATEGORY:Special Ability
      TYPE:RageChoice
      PLURAL:Barbarian Rage Variants
      DISPLAYLOCATION:Class Abilities

      Big parts to notice are CATEGORY, TYPE (have to put those in my choice
      objects for the ability category to find them), DISPLAYLOCATION (I've
      put it with the rest of the RSRD Class ability choices, so the GUI
      remains clean), VISIBLE:QUALIFY (I want only Barbarians to see the
      Pool display on the right had side of Class Abilities, again for nice
      GUI display).

      Ok, so now that I have an ABILITYCATEGORY, I need to set up some
      objects to test.
      Ability File:
      Barbarian Hunter
      CATEGORY:Special Ability
      TYPE:Internal.RageChoice
      VISIBLE:DISPLAY
      All those on one line again, with Tabs, and:
      Barbarian Whirling Frenzy
      CATEGORY:Special Ability
      TYPE:Internal.RageChoice
      VISIBLE:DISPLAY

      So now I have 2 choices, matching CATEGORY and TYPE as the
      ABILITYCATEGORY, VISIBLE:DISPLAY, so it shows up on the GUI, but not
      the character sheet (The "Real" abilities will do that for me).

      After getting that to work, I went about making the Barbarian Hunter
      completely functional. The RSRD relevant parts for that from the
      Ranger Class are:
      1 BONUS:VAR|RangerFavoredEnemyLVL|CL
      1 ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Basic Favored Enemy|Ranger Favored Enemy
      ###Block: Combat Trees
      1 BONUS:VAR|RangerCombatTreeLVL|CL
      1 ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Ranger Combat Tree

      So, I need in my Barbarian CLASS (under the .MOD)
      1 BONUS:VAR|RangerFavoredEnemyLVL|CL|PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special
      Ability,Barbarian Hunter
      Notice the PREABILITY, so the VARS aren't calculated unless the
      character has the choice "Barbarian Hunter"

      In my Ability file, I need to add the following to Barbarian Hunter
      ability (I could do it in the class line, but that would require
      another PRExxx, and I find this cleaner - personal preference, since
      either will work)
      ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Basic Favored Enemy|Ranger Favored Enemy
      (That's implements the Favored Enemy stuff, no real modifications)
      and then:
      ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Archery Combat Style
      This one is different from the Ranger, in that I'm calling the Archery
      Combat Style object directly, since that is what the UA variant
      mentions... I'm not going to need to choose between Combat styles, so
      I just add the Archery and be done. :)

      To make it the Style kick off the actual abilties of the style, I need
      to increment the VAR RangerCombatTreeLVL, so back in CLASS.lst, where
      I had the other bits:
      1 BONUS:VAR|RangerCombatTreeLVL|CL|PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special
      Ability,Barbarian Hunter
      Gotta put the PRE there. I could have done it a few other ways, but
      that makes it clean for me. :)

      That takes care of the Barbarian Hunter (and I can test it...) Only
      have to modify Barbarian Rage, and implement Whirling Frenzy....

      I hope that explained some steps in how to do this sort of thing. I
      suppose I could go into EVERYTHING to implement those, but I'll save
      that for a LST Class if need be. (aka I'm getting tired of typing
      this morning)

    • Barak
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2009
        > most direct example: Ranger with alternate class features from both
        > Complete Champion and Player's Handbook II:
        > -get bonus feat at lvl 4+, replaces spellcasting
        > -get Distracting Strike, replaces Animal Companion
        >
        > both at lvl 4...
        >
        > true, I'm not yet sure how to do the spellcasting thing, but I would
        > like to be able to use the animal companion replacement either with or
        > without the spellcasting replacement. Which would lead to three
        > combination substitution levels/classes, and then I'm not even
        > mentioning the Ranger without spellcasting from the Complete Warrior.

        They don't work that way.... you wither take the one or the other... it's
        not mix & match (per standard rules anyway).

        > Which leads me back to my original question: what's wrong with the
        > addition of the prerequisite after the fact?
        > Am I making a syntax error there? or is this not possible at all?

        I see one issue...

        > PREABILITY:0,CATEGORY=Special Ability...

        That 0 is probably messing you up.

        I'd try !PREABILITY:1,

        Barak
      • herzogaldilkassach
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 4, 2009
          Hi!

          Nice LST class!

          I'm actually alread doing part of what you explain here, except for one part:

          I want to keep the original, default ability intact UNLESS someone wants an alternate class feature.
          That's why I tried to modify the existing ability that's being replaced and add in a 'cancellation' ability.
          (it is my understanding and experience the REMOVE:ABILITY tag isn't implemented yet)

          In short, yes, I understand REMOVE:ABILITY would remove an already assigned ability, and that's exactly what I'm trying to accomplish.

          You did, however, point me towards my second mistake (the first one was using CATEGORY:Special Ability instead of CATEGORY=Special Ability):

          I tried modifying the ability, while I should have been modifying the class.

          I now have:
          CLASS:Barbarian.MOD
          1 ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|.CLEAR.Barbarian Fast Movement
          1 ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Barbarian Fast Movement|!PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,Barbarian ACF Cancel Fast Movement

          My Alternate class feature adds the ability 'barbarian ACF Cancel Fast Movent' in addition to it's own bonusses, and the barbarian fast movement disappears....

          Done! Thanks for helping!
        • herzogaldilkassach
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 5, 2009
            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Barak" <barak@...> wrote:

> [...]
            ---snip---
            > Barak

            I'm not sure I want to get into a rules argument here, but to clarify:
            I don't see any reason why you couldn't combine either the normal spellcaster with a substitution that replaces the animal companion or the Complete Warrior Ranger with a substitution that replaces the animal companion.
            Or a ranger with both the substitution from PHII that replaces the animal companion and the substitution from Complete Champion that replaces spellcasting.

            Of course, you couldn't add a substitution that replaces spellcasting to the complete warrior ranger that has no spellcasting.
            Nor could you take two substitution features that replace the same ability....