Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Cancel out abilities

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2009
      Hi,

      Might I interest you in a much easier method?

      Make a Substitution class of the class you wish to change. It removes
      all abilities of the affected level.

      CLASS:Barbarian.MOD
      SUBSTITUTIONCLASS:Barbarian Cool Guy
      SUBSTITUTIONLEVEL:1 <> Whatever I want to go here.

      Beyond that, there are other methods... but I'd go with the easier
      method myself.

      Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

      herzogaldilkassach wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I'm trying to find a way to implement Alternate Class Features.
      >
      > Since the REMOVE:ABILITY tag isn't implemented yet, and wouldn't apply to AUTOMATIC abilities anyway, I tried the following (using barbarian fast movement as an example)
      >
      > I created an ability called:
      > Barbarian ACF Cancel Fast Movement
      >
      > I then modified the barbarian Fast Movement ability to have a preability:
      >
      > CATEGORY:Special Ability|Barbarian Fast Movement.MOD<TAB>PREABILITY:0,CATEGORY=Special Ability,[Barbarian ACF Fast Movement]
      >
      > Then, when adding an alternate class feature as an ability, I add in the cancel fast movement ability:
      >
      > Spiritual Totem<TAB>CATEGORY:Special Ability<TAB>TYPE:ClassFeature<TAB>COST:0<TAB>VISIBLE:YES<TAB>PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,Barbarian Fast Movement,[Spiritual Totem],[Barbarian ACF Cancel Fast Movement]<TAB>BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Spirit Totems|1<TAB>ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Barbarian ACF Cancel Fast Movement
      >

      > I would expect this to effectively remove the ability, but it doesn't seem to work.
      >
      > Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

    • herzogaldilkassach
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2009
        In this particular case, that would work.
        However, there are situations where multiple class abilities on the same level can be traded out/substituted. I don't want to make a seperate substitutionclass for every possible combination.

        most direct example: Ranger with alternate class features from both Complete Champion and Player's Handbook II:
        -get bonus feat at lvl 4+, replaces spellcasting
        -get Distracting Strike, replaces Animal Companion

        both at lvl 4...

        true, I'm not yet sure how to do the spellcasting thing, but I would like to be able to use the animal companion replacement either with or without the spellcasting replacement. Which would lead to three combination substitution levels/classes, and then I'm not even mentioning the Ranger without spellcasting from the Complete Warrior.

        In short, I'd like to do it the hard way :)

        Which leads me back to my original question: what's wrong with the addition of the prerequisite after the fact?
        Am I making a syntax error there? or is this not possible at all?

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 3, 2009
          REMOVE:ABILITY removes an object at character run, from the character
          that already had that ability from user choice or LST calls. You are
          trying to modify modify setup of options before character load, so
          .MOD and .CLEAR, etc. are what you want.

          I have a better idea. Esp. since I just did a bunch of stuff for UA
          in my 5.6.1 update and testing. :p (Someone might want to record
          this, because I think I'm basically writing something that could
          easily be incorporated into a LST Class for the Docs.

          Remove the ability with .CLEAR, and add whatever you want later with
          whatever PREreqs, or even Ability Pools.

          For example:
          UA has 2 variants for Barbarian Rage / Indomitable Will, so there are
          now 3 options I want to choose from.
          - Standard like SRD
          - "Whirling Frenzy"
          - "Hunter" (replace Rage and Indomitable Will with Favored Enemy and
          Archery Combat Style stuff)

          In my coding below, I'm putting one tag per class level line. I
          didn't do it in my files, but it makes it easier to clarify that there
          is tabs between tags... Consider a tab between level line and the tag
          listed.

          First thing I did, is remove all the old references and give myself a
          clean slate:
          CLASS:Barbarian.MOD
          1 BONUS:VAR|BarbRageTimesLVL,BarbRagePowerLVL|-CL
          1 ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|.CLEAR.Barbarian Rage|.CLEAR.Rage
          14 ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|.CLEAR.Indomitable Will

          With just that above, Loading Barbarian removes all of his Rage /
          Indomitable Will stuff, completely. The BONUS:VAR negation is for a
          corner case: what if at a future date a character used "Hunter"
          version, but had "Rage" from a racial ability (like 1/day or
          something).

          Next, I need to set up an Ability Pool for my choices. I can then
          test that they are working, and after that, I can add the various bits
          to that framework.

          Ability Category file (called with ABILITYCATEGORY tag in PCC), all on
          one line separated by tabs:
          ABILITYCATEGORY:Barbarian Rage Variant
          VISIBLE:QUALIFY
          EDITABLE:NO
          EDITPOOL:YES
          FRACTIONALPOOL:NO
          CATEGORY:Special Ability
          TYPE:RageChoice
          PLURAL:Barbarian Rage Variants
          DISPLAYLOCATION:Class Abilities

          Big parts to notice are CATEGORY, TYPE (have to put those in my choice
          objects for the ability category to find them), DISPLAYLOCATION (I've
          put it with the rest of the RSRD Class ability choices, so the GUI
          remains clean), VISIBLE:QUALIFY (I want only Barbarians to see the
          Pool display on the right had side of Class Abilities, again for nice
          GUI display).

          Ok, so now that I have an ABILITYCATEGORY, I need to set up some
          objects to test.
          Ability File:
          Barbarian Hunter
          CATEGORY:Special Ability
          TYPE:Internal.RageChoice
          VISIBLE:DISPLAY
          All those on one line again, with Tabs, and:
          Barbarian Whirling Frenzy
          CATEGORY:Special Ability
          TYPE:Internal.RageChoice
          VISIBLE:DISPLAY

          So now I have 2 choices, matching CATEGORY and TYPE as the
          ABILITYCATEGORY, VISIBLE:DISPLAY, so it shows up on the GUI, but not
          the character sheet (The "Real" abilities will do that for me).

          After getting that to work, I went about making the Barbarian Hunter
          completely functional. The RSRD relevant parts for that from the
          Ranger Class are:
          1 BONUS:VAR|RangerFavoredEnemyLVL|CL
          1 ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Basic Favored Enemy|Ranger Favored Enemy
          ###Block: Combat Trees
          1 BONUS:VAR|RangerCombatTreeLVL|CL
          1 ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Ranger Combat Tree

          So, I need in my Barbarian CLASS (under the .MOD)
          1 BONUS:VAR|RangerFavoredEnemyLVL|CL|PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special
          Ability,Barbarian Hunter
          Notice the PREABILITY, so the VARS aren't calculated unless the
          character has the choice "Barbarian Hunter"

          In my Ability file, I need to add the following to Barbarian Hunter
          ability (I could do it in the class line, but that would require
          another PRExxx, and I find this cleaner - personal preference, since
          either will work)
          ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Basic Favored Enemy|Ranger Favored Enemy
          (That's implements the Favored Enemy stuff, no real modifications)
          and then:
          ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Archery Combat Style
          This one is different from the Ranger, in that I'm calling the Archery
          Combat Style object directly, since that is what the UA variant
          mentions... I'm not going to need to choose between Combat styles, so
          I just add the Archery and be done. :)

          To make it the Style kick off the actual abilties of the style, I need
          to increment the VAR RangerCombatTreeLVL, so back in CLASS.lst, where
          I had the other bits:
          1 BONUS:VAR|RangerCombatTreeLVL|CL|PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special
          Ability,Barbarian Hunter
          Gotta put the PRE there. I could have done it a few other ways, but
          that makes it clean for me. :)

          That takes care of the Barbarian Hunter (and I can test it...) Only
          have to modify Barbarian Rage, and implement Whirling Frenzy....

          I hope that explained some steps in how to do this sort of thing. I
          suppose I could go into EVERYTHING to implement those, but I'll save
          that for a LST Class if need be. (aka I'm getting tired of typing
          this morning)

        • Barak
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 3, 2009

            They don't work that way.... you wither take the one or the other... it's
            not mix & match (per standard rules anyway).

            > Which leads me back to my original question: what's wrong with the
            > addition of the prerequisite after the fact?
            > Am I making a syntax error there? or is this not possible at all?

            I see one issue...

            > PREABILITY:0,CATEGORY=Special Ability...

            That 0 is probably messing you up.

            I'd try !PREABILITY:1,

            Barak
          • herzogaldilkassach
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 4, 2009
              Hi!

              Nice LST class!

              I'm actually alread doing part of what you explain here, except for one part:

              I want to keep the original, default ability intact UNLESS someone wants an alternate class feature.
              That's why I tried to modify the existing ability that's being replaced and add in a 'cancellation' ability.
              (it is my understanding and experience the REMOVE:ABILITY tag isn't implemented yet)

              In short, yes, I understand REMOVE:ABILITY would remove an already assigned ability, and that's exactly what I'm trying to accomplish.

              You did, however, point me towards my second mistake (the first one was using CATEGORY:Special Ability instead of CATEGORY=Special Ability):

              I tried modifying the ability, while I should have been modifying the class.

              I now have:
              CLASS:Barbarian.MOD
              1 ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|.CLEAR.Barbarian Fast Movement
              1 ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Barbarian Fast Movement|!PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,Barbarian ACF Cancel Fast Movement

              My Alternate class feature adds the ability 'barbarian ACF Cancel Fast Movent' in addition to it's own bonusses, and the barbarian fast movement disappears....

              Done! Thanks for helping!
            • herzogaldilkassach
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 5, 2009
                --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Barak" <barak@...> wrote:

> [...]
                ---snip---
                > Barak

                I'm not sure I want to get into a rules argument here, but to clarify:
                I don't see any reason why you couldn't combine either the normal spellcaster with a substitution that replaces the animal companion or the Complete Warrior Ranger with a substitution that replaces the animal companion.
                Or a ranger with both the substitution from PHII that replaces the animal companion and the substitution from Complete Champion that replaces spellcasting.

                Of course, you couldn't add a substitution that replaces spellcasting to the complete warrior ranger that has no spellcasting.
                Nor could you take two substitution features that replace the same ability....