String variables?

  • zorden@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 29, 2009

      Is it possible to use variables of the string type. I have an ability which grants different forms and types of energy as a weapon based on the selected dragon color. It would be easy to make a DESC tag as:

      DESC:You can use %1 feet %2 of %3|EnergyDistance|EnergyForm|EnergyType

      EnergyDistance would be numerical, but the othet two would be strings. So the DESC would be "You can use 15 feet line of fire" or "You can use 30 feet cone of cold" and so on.

      Is there an easy way to do this or do I have to have as many abilities as form * type?

      Peter
    • ovka
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 29, 2009
        I think there is a CHOOSE:STRING tag that you can use to select the energy type, then you would need an abilities for BW (Line), BW (Cone), etc.

        There was talk of a double chooser at one time, but I don't know if that is in production yet.

        Cheers,

        Sir George Anonymous

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 29, 2009
          ovka wrote:
          > I think there is a CHOOSE:STRING tag that you can use to select the energy type, then you would need an abilities for BW (Line), BW (Cone), etc.

          Yes, CHOOSE:STRING would do fine.

          But it would only work for ONE choice, not both.
          > There was talk of a double chooser at one time, but I don't know if that is in production yet.

          No Double Chooser in the works quite yet.
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Sir George Anonymous
          >

          > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "zorden@..." <zorden@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Hi,
          >>
          >> Is it possible to use variables of the string type. I have an ability which grants different forms and types of energy as a weapon based on the selected dragon color. It would be easy to make a DESC tag as:
          >>
          >> DESC:You can use %1 feet %2 of %3|EnergyDistance|EnergyForm|EnergyType
          >>
          >> EnergyDistance would be numerical, but the othet two would be strings. So the DESC would be "You can use 15 feet line of fire" or "You can use 30 feet cone of cold" and so on.
          >>
          >> Is there an easy way to do this or do I have to have as many abilities as form * type?
          >>
          >> Peter

          Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 30, 2009
            2009/10/30 Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...>:
            > ovka wrote:
            >> I think there is a CHOOSE:STRING tag that you can use to select the energy type, then you would need an abilities for BW (Line), BW (Cone), etc.
            >>

            > Yes, CHOOSE:STRING would do fine.
            >
            > But it would only work for ONE choice, not both.

            And %CHOICE in the DESC. Yes, the single chooser is the limit.

          • zorden@ymail.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 2, 2009
              Thanks for the answers. Maybe I'm wrong but this will not help me or my way of thinking is different.

              Does this work without the chooser? Because the type of energy is known automatically based on the selected SUBCLASS.

              Is it possible to nest abilities? I mean to create an ability to set some more abilities based on some criterias?

              Thanks,
              Peter