Trying to add a custom ring

  • Karl Garrison
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 26, 2009
      I am using PCGen 5.16 with the Pathfinder release rules. I am attempting to
      add a custom item - a "Ring of Luck". I found the my_dataset directory, and
      followed the instructions in the how_to_use_this.txt file in that
      directory. Specifically, I edited the file my_equipment.lst to add the
      entry for my item, then edited the file my__campaign.pcc in that directory
      to change the GAMEMODE to Pathfinder_RPG, and to uncomment the line that
      loads the file my_equipment.lst. I do not see my new item when I try to add
      it to an existing character, however.

      For the item entry, I copied the entry for "Ring of Protection +1", and
      modified it so that it instead grants a +1 luck bonus to saving throws
      (referencing the luck blade for how to do that). Here's my entry in that
      file, with actual tabs replaced with <tab>. There are no stray spaces
      between fields - the only ones in the entry are in the name of the item:

      Ring of

      Any ideas what could be incorrect or missing here?

      Thanks,

      Karl

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 27, 2009
        Karl Garrison wrote:

        Hi Karl,

        Welcome to the help group.
        > I am using PCGen 5.16 with the Pathfinder release rules. I am attempting to
        > add a custom item - a "Ring of Luck". I found the my_dataset directory, and
        > followed the instructions in the how_to_use_this.txt file in that
        > directory. Specifically, I edited the file my_equipment.lst to add the
        > entry for my item, then edited the file my__campaign.pcc in that directory
        > to change the GAMEMODE to Pathfinder_RPG, and to uncomment the line that
        > loads the file my_equipment.lst. I do not see my new item when I try to add
        > it to an existing character, however.

        Easy enough. The 'my_campaign' folder and files are not being loaded.
        You did excellent in modifying the pcc file and uncommenting the line,
        but unless you actually load it, no equipment, or anything else you add
        for that matter, will be available.

        What you need to do is find the campaign file to load, since you change
        the name, only Paizo and Homebrew should be available choices. Simply
        load "MyCampaign" and it should appear for you.
        > For the item entry, I copied the entry for "Ring of Protection +1", and
        > modified it so that it instead grants a +1 luck bonus to saving throws
        > (referencing the luck blade for how to do that). Here's my entry in that
        > file, with actual tabs replaced with <tab>. There are no stray spaces
        > between fields - the only ones in the entry are in the name of the item:
        >
        > Ring of
        >
        > Any ideas what could be incorrect or missing here?

        Code looks good. No worries there.

        If loading MyCampaign with the paizo campaign does work, please let me
        know and we can walk through it together.

        Cheers,
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Karl

        Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
      • hermes_917
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 27, 2009

          > Easy enough. The 'my_campaign' folder and files are not being loaded.
          > You did excellent in modifying the pcc file and uncommenting the line,
          > but unless you actually load it, no equipment, or anything else you add
          > for that matter, will be available.
          >
          > What you need to do is find the campaign file to load, since you change
          > the name, only Paizo and Homebrew should be available choices. Simply
          > load "MyCampaign" and it should appear for you.

          Okay, it seems like I must be missing something basic here, but I am not seeing a way to load "MyCampaign". In the basic screen, I see MSRD, SRD 3.0, SRD 3.5, etc., but nothing about "MyCampaign". On the advanced screen, I only see Paizo, but not Homebrew. What determines if this appears on the load screen? I have uploaded my my__campaign.pcc file to the lst files area in case it could be a factor.

          Anyway, thanks for your help!

          Karl
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 27, 2009
            hermes_917 wrote:
            > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...> wrote:
            >

            >> Easy enough. The 'my_campaign' folder and files are not being loaded.
            >> You did excellent in modifying the pcc file and uncommenting the line,
            >> but unless you actually load it, no equipment, or anything else you add
            >> for that matter, will be available.
            >>
            >> What you need to do is find the campaign file to load, since you change
            >> the name, only Paizo and Homebrew should be available choices. Simply
            >> load "MyCampaign" and it should appear for you.
            >>

            > Okay, it seems like I must be missing something basic here, but I am not seeing a way to load "MyCampaign". In the basic screen, I see MSRD, SRD 3.0, SRD 3.5, etc., but nothing about "MyCampaign". On the advanced screen, I only see Paizo, but not Homebrew. What determines if this appears on the load screen? I have uploaded my my__campaign.pcc file to the lst files area in case it could be a factor.
            >
            > Anyway, thanks for your help!

            Well, yahoo doesn't like your file. It turned the entire thing into a
            html script.

            Try emailing it direct to me. drew0500@...

            > Karl

            Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 27, 2009
              Karl Garrison wrote:
              > I am using PCGen 5.16 with the Pathfinder release rules. I am attempting to
              > add a custom item - a "Ring of Luck". I found the my_dataset directory, and
              > followed the instructions in the how_to_use_this.txt file in that
              > directory. Specifically, I edited the file my_equipment.lst to add the
              > entry for my item, then edited the file my__campaign.pcc in that directory
              > to change the GAMEMODE to Pathfinder_RPG,

              Ah hah...
              GAMEMODE:Pathfinder

              Not
              GAMEMODE:Pathfinder_RPG

              > and to uncomment the line that
              > loads the file my_equipment.lst. I do not see my new item when I try to add
              > it to an existing character, however.
              >
              > For the item entry, I copied the entry for "Ring of Protection +1", and
              > modified it so that it instead grants a +1 luck bonus to saving throws
              > (referencing the luck blade for how to do that). Here's my entry in that
              > file, with actual tabs replaced with <tab>. There are no stray spaces
              > between fields - the only ones in the entry are in the name of the item:
              >
              > Ring of
              >
              > Any ideas what could be incorrect or missing here?
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Karl

              Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
            • hermes_917
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 27, 2009

                > Ah hah...
                > GAMEMODE:Pathfinder
                >
                > Not
                > GAMEMODE:Pathfinder_RPG

                That was it - it's working now. Thanks again for your help!

                Karl