Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: Add note concerning conditional skill synergy?

    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 21, 2009
      > * Is there a significant difference between using "SynergyBonus" in the code vs. the number 2? Both seem to work... (and I don't ever plan to change the global synergy bonus...)

      a) Allows house rules to change that number easily.
      b) Allows an object to change that bonus for a specific character
      (like a feat that increases all synergy bonuses - I think there is a
      Closed Content WotC feat that does that.)

      > * Was it important to use the mathematical expression "0-SynergyBonus" rather than just "-SynergyBonus"?

      Helps the math parser. :)

      > * I don't know why had some of my code all upper case (it did seem to work...), but I switched it to upper/lower as you did. Does case matter to PCGen?

      In most cases, no. Just makes it easier for use to debug, and
      maintain data, so we have some standards. We ProperCase things that
      are defined in Data (as opposed to the program).

      > * I didn't quite understand your code to make the synergies not stack ("Synergy Bonuses Stack. If you don't want a +4 to the Find or follow tracks then you need to have the BONUS:SKILL and BONUS:SKILLRANK have PRESKILL:2,Forensics=5,Search=5 instead"), so I tried an alternative kluge to make this synergy not stack (unlike the other "normal" synergies). I added the tag
      >
      > BONUS:SKILL|Survival (Find or follow tracks)|0-SynergyBonus|TYPE=Synergy.STACK|PRESKILL:2,Forensics=5,Search=5
      >
      > to my Survival.MOD entry. That seems to do the trick (canceling out the double addition of the SynergyBonus). Was this kluge any worse PCGen "programming etiquette" than the rest of my code?

      Let's say I wanted to add another skill in a new dataset to be loaded
      with yours... Say, Skill Foo, and I want it to grant a synergy with
      Survival just like forensics. Either I make a really complicated PRE
      to go with the BONUS, or .MOD the bonus away completely, and add my
      own, or I use a non-stack method, so that each PRExxx can stand alone,
      and not make some really huge synergy bonuses.

      > * Does it matter where all these BONUS tags are placed? I don't yet understand the logic of what difference it makes whether they're placed in my Forensics line, the Survival.MOD line...or any other Skill entry for that matter.

      Yes, since the skill object is only attached (and all BONUSes from
      that object processed) when there are ranks assigned (or if it is
      untrained).

      For a character that has ranks in the skills, it doesn't matter, but
      it can cause some not-nice outputs for characters without that.