Re: use of SAB

  • Maredudd
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 15, 2009
      Greetings Folks!

      herzogaldilkassach wrote:

      > Just to rehash (and make sure I'm right):
      >
      > If I currently have lst files of my own that implement
      > the SAB, I should replace it with the ABILITY tag, and
      > use the DESC or BENEFIT tags of those to fill in the
      > description (probably the one that is currently in the
      > SAB tag)

      You will need to add an ability to the ability.lst file for each SAB tag and then replace the SAB tag with the ABILITY tag.

      As an example:

      For SAB:Can fling bananas as a ranged attack with a range
      increment of 10' and doing 1d3 damage.

      becomes ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Banana Flinger

      With the following ability in the ability.lst file: (new lines represent tabs)
      Banana Flinger
      CATEGORY:Special Ability
      TYPE:SpecialAttack
      DESC:Can fling bananas as a ranged attack.
      BENEFIT:Can fling bananas as a ranged attack with a range
      increment of 10' and doing 1d3 damage.

      > Does this also apply to TEMPLATE definitions containing SAB?
      > (and FEATS containing SAB)

      Yes to templates. No to feats. You can change the SAB in the
      feat directly to a DESC or BENEFIT tag.

      > As a sidenote: what's the difference between DESC and BENEFIT?

      I believe the DESC and BENEFIT tags are intended to be identical
      with the only real difference being what they are used for. The
      DESC tag is intended to contain the short "flavor" text for the
      feat/ability. For sources for which we have permission to include
      all text for feats and abilities we use the BENEFIT tag to house
      the full text. Both DESC and BENEFIT use variable substitution
      so the description/benefit can be written to show the character
      specific info instead of the generic description.

      Maredudd

      > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@> wrote:
      > >
      > > herzogaldilkassach wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi,
      > > > I saw, in passing, a reference to the use of the SAB tag, being called 'outdated' (or something simmilar)
      > > >
      > > > I've noticed that the SAB tag doesn't have all that much 'spunk' when the contents get to the output sheets, so I'm not really surprised.
      > > >
      > > > Is there a 'preferred' way to code special abilities (and get them to the output)?
      > > >

      > > SAB was used primarily to put something on the character sheet,
      > > unfortunately it really was just a DESCRIPTION without the nice
      > > formatting of the Feat... SAB can still be used, but it's no longer
      > > preferred since Ability does a much better job. (And we've done some
      > > nice work to make it even better... Source with the page number will
      > > show up now, though currently I think that is only available in the next
      > > 5.17 version (5.17.1 for those who are wondering)... unless you grab an
      > > autobuild).
      > >
      > > Special Abilites are now coded as Ability objects using the
      > > CATEGORY:Special Ability and then using either 'SpecialQuality' or
      > > 'SpecialAttack' in the TYPE tag depending on whether it's an Attack or
      > > just a special quality of the creature. It'll output nicely to the sheet
      > > in it's own section.
      > >
      > > The nice thing about the ability object is you can also use either the
      > > DESC or BENEFIT tag to give it the flavor or meaty text and it takes
      > > those nice substitutions from variables. Just like a Feat has the Name
      > > and then a short blurb.
      > >
      > > And for homebrewers, there are newer output blocks put in to support 4e
      > > powers, or other things... Eventually I'll write down each of those in
      > > the help docs, but that should get you on your way.
      > > > If so, could somebody give me a hint? (and maybe add it to the SAB documentation as well...)
      > > >
      > > > I'm getting pretty good at lst file syntax, but using old style lst files (converted from CMP datasets) has gotten me some 'old style solution' datasets, and if there is a 'proper' way to re-code those I wouldn't mind...
      > > >

      > > Always glad to help. I suppose we could add a blurb in the SAB section.
      > > >

      > > > ------------------------------------
      > > >

      > > --
      > >
      > > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
      > > Admin Silverback, PCGen Board of Directors
      > > Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

    • Maredudd
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 15, 2009
        Hi Folks!

        I forgot to mention that there is a setting in the preferences
        to use the BENEFIT text instead of the DESC text. This comes
        in handy because the BENEFIT text can be lengthy and might
        have deleterious effects to the character sheet.

        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Maredudd" <maredudd@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > > 'SpecialAttack' in the TYPE tag depending on whether it's an Attack or
        > > > just a special quality of the creature. It'll output nicely to the sheet
        > > > in it's own section.
        > > >
        > > > The nice thing about the ability object is you can also use either the
        > > > DESC or BENEFIT tag to give it the flavor or meaty text and it takes
        > > > those nice substitutions from variables. Just like a Feat has the Name
        > > > and then a short blurb.
        > > >
        > > > And for homebrewers, there are newer output blocks put in to support 4e
        > > > powers, or other things... Eventually I'll write down each of those in
        > > > the help docs, but that should get you on your way.

        > > > Always glad to help. I suppose we could add a blurb in the SAB section.

        > > > --
        > > >
        > > > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
        > > > Admin Silverback, PCGen Board of Directors

      • Maredudd
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 15, 2009
          Hello Again!

          And I forgot one more thing. If the BENEFIT tags isn't
          used in an ability, PCGen will default to printing the
          DESC text even if the preferences is set to show the
          BENEFIT text.