Re: Adding description to Templates?

  • herzogaldilkassach
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 15, 2009
      You could also implement the City ranger as (a) substitution level(s) instead of as a template.

      That way, you can add in any specific city ranger abilities instead of the (replaced) abilities you would want to remove.

      Note that you need to add in all abilities you want to retain for the specified levels as well.

      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Allen C" <allen@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > > > Hi folks,
      > > >
      > > > I just created five templates (pretty good for me!). It all seems to be working well...except for 1 thing: I can't get descriptive text to print out. I tried both DESC and TEMPDESC.
      > > >
      > > > Is this a problem with the output template I'm using?
      > > > Am I missing something like PREAPPLY:ANYPC?
      > > > Is this even possible?
      > > >
      > > > Two other things I'd like to add, but aren't crucial: I'd like the CITY RANGER template to remove the ranger's wild empathy and animal companion. Is there a way to code that?
      > > >
      > > > I've included the working code below (feel free to let me know if you see any other bad coding practices in there).
      > > >
      > > > Many thanks,
      > > > Allen
      > > >

      > > <SNIP>
      > >
      > > Hi Allen,
      > >
      > > Template doesn't take DESC, BENEFIT. You can use SAB but that's a bit
      > > old school and the output won't be a nice.
      > >
      > > I'd suggest making an ability that gets called by the template. You take
      > > template, template grants the ability, the ability displays on the
      > > character sheet..
      > >

      > > Sample:
      > > Ability File
      > > Name of Ability
      > > CATEGORY:Special Ability
      > > TYPE:SpecialQuality
      > > DESC:Short Text - something simple
      > > BENEFIT:Long text - something long or complete
      > >
      > > That's it.
      > >
      > > For the TEMPLATEs
      > >
      > > ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Name of Ability
      > >
      > > Oh, for future reference it's best to ask about each issue separately.
      > > Otherwise people don't answer cause they might not know all the answers
      > > to your questions.
      > >
      > > Like how to remove the Ranger Stuff is advanced stuff. It requires some
      > > creativity to do, since REMOVING a feat is possible but Abilities, not
      > > quite possible yet...
      > >

      > > Solutions (Choose the method that works for you)
      > >
      > > 1) Make your own ranger class with how you want things
      > > 2) Modify the existing ranger and get creative with pretemplate on the
      > > various BONUS tags
      > > 3) Something else that I can't think up from the top of my head... (The
      > > issues of doing things from memory unfortunately).
      > >
      > > Now Ideally, one of us Chimps will eventually get around to making the
      > > core set super homebrew friendly, or the code will get in to make
      > > removing abilities a cake... Until either of those happen, it's the
      > > harder method...
      > >
      > > Personally, I'd mod the class and put back in the abilities but again
      > > with prevars or pretemplates, or whatever happens to make the most sense.
      > >
      > > Prevar is the easier one to use.
      > >
      > > Anyways, I hope that helps... I'll need to reread your post to make sure
      > > I didn't miss anything. And then it's answer the deity weapon question
      > > after a quick bite to eat if someone hasn't already answered...
      > >
      > > --
      > >
      > > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
      > > Admin Silverback, PCGen Board of Directors

    • Allen C
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 17, 2009
        Very clever...thanks!

        Allen

        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 18, 2009
          Actually, now I'd like to know more about this approach. What precisely is a "substitution level"? Do you mean just creating a "City Ranger" custom class?

          Thanks,
          Allen

          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 18, 2009
            Allen C wrote:
            > Actually, now I'd like to know more about this approach. What precisely is a "substitution level"? Do you mean just creating a "City Ranger" custom class?

            CLASS:Ranger.MOD
            SUBSTITUTIONCLASS:City Ranger
            SUBSTITUTIONLEVEL:1 <> Tags you want
            > Thanks,
            > Allen
            >
            > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Allen C" <allen@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Very clever...thanks!
            >>
            >> Allen
            >>
            >> --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "herzogaldilkassach" <herzogaldilkassach@> wrote:
            >>
            >>> You could also implement the City ranger as (a) substitution level(s) instead of as a template.
            >>>
            >>> That way, you can add in any specific city ranger abilities instead of the (replaced) abilities you would want to remove.
            >>>
            >>> Note that you need to add in all abilities you want to retain for the specified levels as well.

            Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

          • Eric C Smith
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 18, 2009
              Hi Folks!

              Allen wrote:
              > Actually, now I'd like to know more about this approach. What
              > precisely is a "substitution level"? Do you mean just creating a
              > "City Ranger" custom class?

              Take a look at the PCGen docs. At the top of the Class File LST Tag
              docs you will find an intro to Subclass and substitution classes. The
              tags used in substitution classes are located in the Substitution
              Class subsection of the same docs.

              Maredudd
            • Allen C
              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 18, 2009
                Ah...thank you...this is entirely new to me. I don't see much in the documentation about it...maybe I didn't look in the right place.

                What is conceptually going on? Is this code that one puts in the custom class file that basically tells PCGen "make a new class with the name City Ranger that is exactly like Ranger except for the levels defined explicitly here"?

                Thanks again,
                Allen

                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 18, 2009
                  Hi Folks!

                  Allen wrote:
                  > Ah...thank you...this is entirely new to me. I don't see much in the
                  > documentation about it...maybe I didn't look in the right place.
                  >
                  > What is conceptually going on? Is this code that one puts in the
                  > custom class file that basically tells PCGen "make a new class with
                  > the name City Ranger that is exactly like Ranger except for the
                  > levels defined explicitly here"?

                  Conceptually, what PCGen will do in Andrews example is will allow you
                  to create a ranger, give you the option to make it a City Ranger, and
                  if you take that option will replace everything on the 1st level Class
                  Level Line with what you include on the City Ranger Substitution Class
                  Level Line.

                  Maredudd
                • Allen C
                  Message 8 of 26 , Oct 18, 2009
                    Thanks for the follow up.

                    * So, once that code is in, I still select "Ranger" when creating the character, but PCGen will know to ask me if I want to make it the City Ranger version...is that correct? (At first glance, I thought it was the SUBCLASS stuff that instructed PCGen to do that.)

                    * Am I correct that this code goes in my custom class.lst file?

                    * I would like this variant class to have the same spell list as the standard ranger. Will this approach preserve the spell list?

                    * I noticed that the distributed code to define a ranger has several lines to define level 1. Can I similarly use multiple SUBSTITUTIONLEVEL lines?

                    * What about abilities that don't show up on a level line? I'd like my city ranger to have Knowledge (Local) and Gather Information as class skills. (Maybe this approach doesn't work for that kind of change.)

                    Thank you for holding my hand through this new (to me) coding technique.

                    Allen

                    Message 9 of 26 , Oct 18, 2009
                      Allen C wrote:
                      > Thanks for the follow up.
                      >
                      > * So, once that code is in, I still select "Ranger" when creating the character, but PCGen will know to ask me if I want to make it the City Ranger version...is that correct? (At first glance, I thought it was the SUBCLASS stuff that instructed PCGen to do that.)

                      At first level you'd get the choice of Either Ranger or City Ranger.
                      > * Am I correct that this code goes in my custom class.lst file?

                      Goes in the Class file, whether your own custom file or not is up to
                      you. I'd recommend using a custom file.
                      > * I would like this variant class to have the same spell list as the standard ranger. Will this approach preserve the spell list?

                      I believe it does... and since the the first level ranger has no spells,
                      it should be fine. Just as long as you remember to put in all the
                      abilities that he keeps on the 1st level line.
                      > * I noticed that the distributed code to define a ranger has several lines to define level 1. Can I similarly use multiple SUBSTITUTIONLEVEL lines?

                      You can use multiple lines. I'm not aware of any issue with multiple lines.
                      > * What about abilities that don't show up on a level line? I'd like my city ranger to have Knowledge (Local) and Gather Information as class skills. (Maybe this approach doesn't work for that kind of change.)

                      Put in ADD:CLASSSKILLS (look it up in the docs for proper syntax - I'm
                      in the middle of a gaming session... ;) )
                      > Thank you for holding my hand through this new (to me) coding technique.

                      No problem. Hope that helps.

                      Cheers,
                      > Allen
                      >
                      > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eric C Smith <maredudd@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> Hi Folks!
                      >>
                      >> Allen wrote:
                      >>
                      >>> Ah...thank you...this is entirely new to me. I don't see much in the
                      >>> documentation about it...maybe I didn't look in the right place.
                      >>>
                      >>> What is conceptually going on? Is this code that one puts in the
                      >>> custom class file that basically tells PCGen "make a new class with
                      >>> the name City Ranger that is exactly like Ranger except for the
                      >>> levels defined explicitly here"?
                      >>>

                      >> Conceptually, what PCGen will do in Andrews example is will allow you
                      >> to create a ranger, give you the option to make it a City Ranger, and
                      >> if you take that option will replace everything on the 1st level Class
                      >> Level Line with what you include on the City Ranger Substitution Class
                      >> Level Line.
                      >>
                      >> Maredudd

                      Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

                    • Allen C
                      Message 10 of 26 , Oct 18, 2009
                        Well, I'm most of the way through creating my Urban Ranger. Thanks, guys!

                        You showed me how to add class skills using ADD:CLASSSKILLS. (It works...though it brings up a chooser dialog window....I wish it would just add the specified class skills.)

                        But is there also a way to remove a class skill? My Urban Ranger will get something I'm calling "Forensics" instead of "Search".

                        Many thanks,
                        Allen

                        Message 11 of 26 , Oct 18, 2009
                          I'm close on the adding of class skills. But there's a little problem: when the code is

                          SUBSTITUTIONLEVEL:1 AUTO:FEAT|Track ADD:CLASSSKILLS|3|Knowledge (Local),Gather Information,Diplomacy

                          it doesn't work.

                          When the code is exactly the same except I substitute 2 for 3

                          SUBSTITUTIONLEVEL:1 AUTO:FEAT|Track ADD:CLASSSKILLS|2|Knowledge (Local),Gather Information,Diplomacy

                          it works.

                          I'd like to select all three skills. Any ideas?

                          Allen

                          Message 12 of 26 , Oct 18, 2009
                            On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 8:38 PM, Allen C <allen@...> wrote:
                            > I'm close on the adding of class skills. But there's a little problem: when the code is
                            >
                            > SUBSTITUTIONLEVEL:1     AUTO:FEAT|Track ADD:CLASSSKILLS|3|Knowledge (Local),Gather Information,Diplomacy
                            >
                            > it doesn't work.
                            >
                            > When the code is exactly the same except I substitute 2 for 3
                            >
                            > SUBSTITUTIONLEVEL:1     AUTO:FEAT|Track ADD:CLASSSKILLS|2|Knowledge (Local),Gather Information,Diplomacy
                            >
                            > it works.
                            >
                            > I'd like to select all three skills. Any ideas?

                            CSKILL tag. But on the SUBSTITUTIONCLASS line. :)

                          • Allen C
                            Message 13 of 26 , Oct 18, 2009
                              Ah, I wished that worked, but it didn't seem to. The first two lines of my Urban Ranger

                              CLASS:Ranger.MOD
                              SUBSTITUTIONCLASS:Urban Ranger CSKILL:Knowledge (Local)|Gather Information|Diplomacy

                              That didn't work.

                              Allen

                              --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Tir Gwaith <Tir.Gwaith@...> wrote:

                              [snip]

                              > CSKILL tag. But on the SUBSTITUTIONCLASS line. :)
                              >

                              > Tir Gwaith
                              > PCGen LST Chimp

                            • thpr
                              Message 14 of 26 , Oct 18, 2009
                                --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Allen C" <allen@...> wrote:

                                > Ah, I wished that worked, but it didn't seem to. The first two lines of my Urban Ranger
                                >
                                > CLASS:Ranger.MOD
                                > SUBSTITUTIONCLASS:Urban Ranger CSKILL:Knowledge (Local)|Gather Information|Diplomacy
                                >
                                > That didn't work.

                                It won't work, by design.

                                There is no rule construct as "Substitution Class", thus the SUBSTITUTIONCLASS line doesn't process any tokens other than prerequisites.

                                We'll have to fix the ADD:CLASSSKILLS problem - TM for that bug please.

                                TP.
                                Message 15 of 26 , Oct 18, 2009
                                  thpr wrote:

                                  2881550 ADD:CLASSSKILLS issue in SUBSTITUTION CLASS with Numbers
                                  <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2881550&group_id=25576&atid=384719>
                                  > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Allen C" <allen@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> Ah, I wished that worked, but it didn't seem to. The first two lines of my Urban Ranger
                                  >>
                                  >> CLASS:Ranger.MOD
                                  >> SUBSTITUTIONCLASS:Urban Ranger CSKILL:Knowledge (Local)|Gather Information|Diplomacy
                                  >>
                                  >> That didn't work.
                                  >>

                                  > It won't work, by design.
                                  >
                                  > There is no rule construct as "Substitution Class", thus the SUBSTITUTIONCLASS line doesn't process any tokens other than prerequisites.
                                  >
                                  > We'll have to fix the ADD:CLASSSKILLS problem - TM for that bug please.
                                  >
                                  > TP.

                                  Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

                                • Allen C
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Oct 19, 2009
                                    OK...since CSKILL won't work on SUBSTITUTIONCLASS lines or SUBSTITUTIONLEVEL lines, I tried an alternative kluge: using CSKILL within a custom feat.

                                    I created the custom feat:

                                    Urban Ranger Class Skills KEY:Urban Ranger Class Skills TYPE:GENERAL VISIBLE:NO CSKILL:.CLEAR.Search|Diplomacy|Gather Information|Forensics|Knowledge (Local) SOURCEPAGE:Alexandria DESC:Adds class skills.

                                    and then included the following in my class file:

                                    SUBSTITUTIONLEVEL:1 AUTO:FEAT|Track|Urban Ranger Class Skills

                                    It seems to work! (And it does so without making a selection box pop up.)

                                    Well, except for the .CLEAR part, but that's not crucial...I can simply remember to not add any points to Search.

                                    What do you think? Did I commit a PCGen heresy? Should I have done this with a special ability instead of a feat or does that matter?

                                    Thanks,
                                    Allen

                                    --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "thpr" <thpr@...> wrote:

                                    > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Allen C" <allen@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Ah, I wished that worked, but it didn't seem to. The first two lines of my Urban Ranger
                                    > >
                                    > > CLASS:Ranger.MOD
                                    > > SUBSTITUTIONCLASS:Urban Ranger CSKILL:Knowledge (Local)|Gather Information|Diplomacy
                                    > >
                                    > > That didn't work.
                                    >
                                    > It won't work, by design.
                                    >
                                    > There is no rule construct as "Substitution Class", thus the SUBSTITUTIONCLASS line doesn't process any tokens other than prerequisites.
                                    >
                                    > We'll have to fix the ADD:CLASSSKILLS problem - TM for that bug please.
                                    >
                                    > TP.

                                  • thpr
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Oct 19, 2009
                                      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Allen C" <allen@...> wrote:
                                      > Urban Ranger Class Skills KEY:Urban Ranger Class Skills TYPE:GENERAL VISIBLE:NO CSKILL:.CLEAR.Search|Diplomacy|Gather Information|Forensics|Knowledge (Local) SOURCEPAGE:Alexandria DESC:Adds class skills.

                                      This is common confusion about what .CLEAR. performs. .CLEAR. won't work because it can only clear during data load and only from the object in which the item exists, not at runtime from another object. Thus, as you noticed, .CLEAR. has no effect in this case.

                                      > [snip]
                                      > What do you think? Did I commit a PCGen heresy? Should I have done this with a special ability instead of a feat or does that matter?

                                      Not heresy, but may not be what you want. Note that if you multi-class the PC, the items in the CSKILL of that Ability will apply to all classes, not just your Urban Ranger (since CSKILL outside of a Class LST file has global effect on the PC)

                                      TP.
                                    • Allen C
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Oct 19, 2009
                                        Ah...I see your point.

                                        Maybe I should just go back to the ADD:CLASSSKILLS thing...

                                        Can you suggest some other way to remove a class skill?

                                        Or maybe I should just create a custom "urban ranger" class from scratch instead of this SUBSTITUTIONCLASS stuff. It wouldn't be very hard with a copy from the ranger entry within the rsrd class file and then adding a SPELLLIST:1|Ranger tag (at least I suspect that's the right way to do it...).

                                        Thoughts?

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Oct 19, 2009
                                          I've done Urban Ranger as a Subclass. Easy to change the class skills
                                          there, and covers most issues. Urban Ranger (as most know it), isn't
                                          a swap out a few levels thing, but more swapping out a few skills and
                                          a few abilities.

                                          Is this the Urban Ranger from UA?

                                          On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 3:16 PM, Allen C <allen@...> wrote:
                                          > Ah...I see your point.
                                          >
                                          > Maybe I should just go back to the ADD:CLASSSKILLS thing...
                                          >
                                          > Can you suggest some other way to remove a class skill?
                                          >
                                          > Or maybe I should just create a custom "urban ranger" class from scratch instead of this SUBSTITUTIONCLASS stuff. It wouldn't be very hard with a copy from the ranger entry within the rsrd class file and then adding a SPELLLIST:1|Ranger tag (at least I suspect that's the right way to do it...).
                                          >
                                          > Thoughts?
                                        • Allen C
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Oct 19, 2009
                                            Hi, Tir,

                                            I didn't even know that there was an Urban Ranger in UA...don't own the book. :-)

                                            No this is an entirely made-up thing for our home campaign (wow...I'm not violating any copyrights!). We're trying to make an homage to Batman (with a bit of Wolverine thrown in just in case his personality wasn't abrasive enough) and ranger came very close.

                                            I thought (based on an earlier message thread) that SUBCLASS was intended for casting classes and the whole focusing on schools business. How would it work in this case? In particular, how would a SUBCLASS be more flexible with class skills than SUBSTITUTIONCLASS? Does SUBCLASS allow the use of CSKILL and especially CSKILL:.CLEAR?

                                            I'm looking at the documentation and I am also unclear on how SUBCLASS differs from SUBSTITUTIONCLASS other than the use of things like:

                                            COST:2 <tab> CHOICE:SCHOOL|Abjuration <tab> KNOWNSPELLSFROMSPECIALTY:1

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Oct 19, 2009
                                              Allen C wrote:

                                              SUBCLASS has been used outside the School Specialities for Wizards for
                                              neat workarounds.

                                              Basically a subclass is a one shot deal, you choose which class (Base or
                                              sub) at first level and you get that progression.

                                              However, in your instance you'd need to modify the whole Class. Not just
                                              using a .MOD either, we're talking removing stuff, like abilities and
                                              only putting them on SubClass Level lines.

                                              You'd want to make the base Ranger a subclass in that case as well.

                                              And then use the tag that disables choosing the Base Class. I think
                                              ALLOWBASECLASS:NO, but double check that.

                                              That should get you started down the path...
                                              > Hi, Tir,
                                              >
                                              > I didn't even know that there was an Urban Ranger in UA...don't own the book. :-)
                                              >
                                              > No this is an entirely made-up thing for our home campaign (wow...I'm not violating any copyrights!). We're trying to make an homage to Batman (with a bit of Wolverine thrown in just in case his personality wasn't abrasive enough) and ranger came very close.
                                              >
                                              > I thought (based on an earlier message thread) that SUBCLASS was intended for casting classes and the whole focusing on schools business. How would it work in this case? In particular, how would a SUBCLASS be more flexible with class skills than SUBSTITUTIONCLASS? Does SUBCLASS allow the use of CSKILL and especially CSKILL:.CLEAR?
                                              >
                                              > I'm looking at the documentation and I am also unclear on how SUBCLASS differs from SUBSTITUTIONCLASS other than the use of things like:
                                              >
                                              > COST:2 <tab> CHOICE:SCHOOL|Abjuration <tab> KNOWNSPELLSFROMSPECIALTY:1
                                              >

                                              > Thanks,
                                              > Allen
                                              >
                                              > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Tir Gwaith <Tir.Gwaith@...> wrote:
                                              >
                                              >> I've done Urban Ranger as a Subclass. Easy to change the class skills
                                              >> there, and covers most issues. Urban Ranger (as most know it), isn't
                                              >> a swap out a few levels thing, but more swapping out a few skills and
                                              >> a few abilities.
                                              >>
                                              >> Is this the Urban Ranger from UA?
                                              >>
                                              >> Tir Gwaith

                                              Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Oct 19, 2009
                                                > However, in your instance you'd need to modify the whole Class. Not just
                                                > using a .MOD either, we're talking removing stuff, like abilities and
                                                > only putting them on SubClass Level lines.
                                                >
                                                > You'd want to make the base Ranger a subclass in that case as well.

                                                The only things you need to remove from the class level lines and move
                                                to SUBCLASSLEVEL lines are those that are different between the
                                                options. Anything common stays where it is. :)

                                                All Subclasses get everything from the base class, plus anything on
                                                their specific subclass levels. Also, the subclass name shows up on
                                                the character sheet, and you don't have to deal with pop-ups every
                                                level.

                                                The RSRD has Dragon Disciple prestige class which uses Subclass.

                                                > And then use the tag that disables choosing the Base Class.  I think
                                                > ALLOWBASECLASS:NO,  but double check that.

                                                On the CLASS lines, not just to be clear. :)

                                              • thpr
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Oct 30, 2009
                                                  --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Allen C" <allen@...> wrote:

                                                  > I'm close on the adding of class skills. But there's a little problem: when the code is
                                                  >
                                                  > SUBSTITUTIONLEVEL:1 AUTO:FEAT|Track ADD:CLASSSKILLS|3|Knowledge (Local),Gather Information,Diplomacy
                                                  >
                                                  > it doesn't work.
                                                  >
                                                  > When the code is exactly the same except I substitute 2 for 3
                                                  >
                                                  > SUBSTITUTIONLEVEL:1 AUTO:FEAT|Track ADD:CLASSSKILLS|2|Knowledge (Local),Gather Information,Diplomacy
                                                  >
                                                  > it works.
                                                  >
                                                  > I'd like to select all three skills. Any ideas?

                                                  Allen,

                                                  Can you go back and test this again? I believe what is happening is that it is not prompting you when you use "3" because there are only 3 choices. I tested this and it does work, it just doesn't prompt.

                                                  Thanks.

                                                  TP.