Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Ways to tie category pools together

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2009
      nylanfs wrote:

      Hi Paul G.,

      Seems a bit over complicated. You want everything driven by one pool,
      but have it spread out quite a bit... why not try this and just adapt it
      were appropriate.

      UPDATE: I have two solutions, one simplifies the process, the other
      takes your existing method, but instead of driven by pool is driven by
      PREVAR. These are just simple summaries, if you need more working
      examples let me know.

      First Method:
      ABILITYCATEGORY:Build Pool
      CATEGORY:Special Ability
      POOL:400
      (all the rest of that jazz)
      TYPE:A Special Attributes.B Active Skills.Other Stuff

      For Abilities:

      Keep everything the same...

      Now, I know you wanted to get everything by tabs, but this should be
      easier to set up and less fuss. Just remove the BONUS vars, and it
      should work.

      If you want to get more complicated, it can be done... but the headache
      of intricate complexities you're encountering doesn't sound worth it.

      Second Solution:
      Now, if I know the system a little better, I might be able to offer
      better insight, like perhaps COST:0 with a pool of 1, and then you hit a
      certain limit based upon your Variable (Like we did with Skill Tricks).

      In fact, that might be the best idea, using VAR with PREVAR. Again a bit
      more complex, but you can have your multiple tab set up.

      So, you have your BuildPool set at 400, and you already have your
      BONUS:VARs in place, what you need to do is put PREVARGTEQ:BuildPool,x
      with x being your minimum cost value. That way you are assured that no
      one goes beyond cost.

      You keep your tabs, and you aren't relying on the POOL system.

      If you need more help, don't hesitate to ask.

      Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin