KNOWNSPELLS at other than Level 1?

  • the_rodent_of_unusual_size
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 31, 2009
      Suppose I want a class at Level 5 to automatically know all Level 1 spells?

      5 KNOWNSPELLS:LEVEL=1

      is what I want -- but it's not legal. What's the right way? Is there one?

      Thaks!
    • the_rodent_of_unusual_size
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 31, 2009
        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "the_rodent_of_unusual_size" <coar@...> wrote:

        > Suppose I want a class at Level 5 to automatically know all Level 1 spells?
        >
        > 5 KNOWNSPELLS:LEVEL=1

        Or, failing that, some magic keyword to KNOWN:

        5 KNOWN:%,%

        (or ALL,ALL, or *,*, or something other than 100,100)

        Thanks!
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 31, 2009
          the_rodent_of_unusual_size wrote:
          > Suppose I want a class at Level 5 to automatically know all Level 1 spells?
          >
          > 5 KNOWNSPELLS:LEVEL=1
          >
          > is what I want -- but it's not legal. What's the right way? Is there one?

          Sounds like a FREQ to me.

          2848199 Make KNOWNSPELL valid on a Class Level Line
          <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2848199&group_id=25576&atid=384722>
          > Thaks!

          Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 31, 2009
            the_rodent_of_unusual_size wrote:
            > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "the_rodent_of_unusual_size" <coar@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Suppose I want a class at Level 5 to automatically know all Level 1 spells?
            >>
            >> 5 KNOWNSPELLS:LEVEL=1
            >>

            > Or, failing that, some magic keyword to KNOWN:
            >
            > 5 KNOWN:%,%
            >
            > (or ALL,ALL, or *,*, or something other than 100,100)

            KNOWN has a different purpose than KNOWNSPELLS. But if you really want
            to change how many known spells you have, it will take a Variable, same
            with CAST, (Which would be handy to use REPEATLEVEL with then.)
            > Thanks!

            Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

          • the_rodent_of_unusual_size
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 31, 2009

              > KNOWN has a different purpose than KNOWNSPELLS. But if
              > you really want to change how many known spells you have,
              > it will take a Variable, same with CAST, (Which would be
              > handy to use REPEATLEVEL with then.)

              The problem is, I don't know how many spells there may be in all the lists and datasets. Add another set of [custom] spells, and the number changes.

              I'm looking for 'However many 1st-level spells there are, you know 'em all.'

              Thanks!
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 31, 2009
                the_rodent_of_unusual_size wrote:
                > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...> wrote:
                >
                >> KNOWN has a different purpose than KNOWNSPELLS. But if
                >> you really want to change how many known spells you have,
                >> it will take a Variable, same with CAST, (Which would be
                >> handy to use REPEATLEVEL with then.)
                >>

                > The problem is, I don't know how many spells there may be in all the lists and datasets. Add another set of [custom] spells, and the number changes.
                >
                > I'm looking for 'However many 1st-level spells there are, you know 'em all.'

                That's not KNOWN then. KNOWN controls how many spells of each level you
                can "known" as a spontaneous caster at each specified level.

                1 <> KNOWN:4,2 <> CAST:2,2

                At first level you may know 4 - 0th level spells, and 2 -1st level
                spells, however, you can cast 2 0th and 2 1st level spells.

                2 <> KNOWN:4 <> CAST:2,2,2
                You've all of a sudden lost all your 1st level known spells (tsk tsk),
                but can cast 2 of 0th, 1st and 2nd level spells. (Yes, you can code some
                pretty wacky stuff)

                There is no restriction on how many spells you can "HAVE" in a
                Memorization based class however.

                KNOWNSPELLS:LEVEL=1 will grant a Memorization based class ALL 1st level
                spells, for Spontaneous, I don't know what would happen.

                I put in a Feature Request to allow 'knownspells' to work on Class Level
                Lines, instead of just Class Lines.

                > Thanks!

                Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

              • the_rodent_of_unusual_size
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 31, 2009

                  > That's not KNOWN then. KNOWN controls how many spells of each level you
                  > can "known" as a spontaneous caster at each specified level.

                  I think that's what I want. I'm working on coding the Erudite expanded psionic class -- which has no limit to the number of powers that can be known.

                  The number of powers that can be manifested (cast) is already handled, but an Erudite can add any number of powers to his repertoire as he learns them.

                  Based on that, am I interpreting how to accomplish this incorrectly?

                  Thanks!
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 31, 2009
                    the_rodent_of_unusual_size wrote:
                    > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> That's not KNOWN then. KNOWN controls how many spells of each level you
                    >> can "known" as a spontaneous caster at each specified level.
                    >>

                    > I think that's what I want. I'm working on coding the Erudite expanded psionic class -- which has no limit to the number of powers that can be known.
                    >
                    > The number of powers that can be manifested (cast) is already handled, but an Erudite can add any number of powers to his repertoire as he learns them.
                    >
                    > Based on that, am I interpreting how to accomplish this incorrectly?

                    Don't worry about KNOWNSPELLS or KNOWN then... sounds like you should
                    treat it like a Wizard... you learn the 'spell/power' and you can cast it.
                    > Thanks!

                    Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

                  • the_rodent_of_unusual_size
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 31, 2009

                      > Don't worry about KNOWNSPELLS or KNOWN then... sounds like you should
                      > treat it like a Wizard... you learn the 'spell/power' and you can cast it.

                      My ignorance of how it all fits together must be handicapping me, then, because *nothing* shows up in the spell list pane unless I have a KNOWN tag on a class level line. No list of spells, nor even a 'type of spell' header. With

                      1 KNOWN:0,100

                      I at least get the list of 1st-level powers.
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 1, 2009

                        >> Don't worry about KNOWNSPELLS or KNOWN then... sounds like you should
                        >> treat it like a Wizard... you learn the 'spell/power' and you can cast it.
                        >
                        > My ignorance of how it all fits together must be handicapping me, then, because *nothing* shows up in the spell list pane unless I have a KNOWN tag on a class level line.  No list of spells, nor even a 'type of spell' header.  With
                        >
                        > 1  KNOWN:0,100
                        >
                        > I at least get the list of 1st-level powers.

                        Ok, try doing MEMORIZE:YES on the CLASS line. (and remove KNOWN tags.)
                        That will convert it to a Wizard-type implementation (no limit on how
                        many spells known.) You won't need to do the spellbook, etc. stuff,
                        since you aren't worrying about that (you won't use the Memorize
                        stuff, just the unlimited spell 'known' spell list.)

                        For your level 5 bit (automatically know all spells), you'll need the
                        FReq for KNOWNSPELLS equivalent in class level line. I know we had
                        one open a while ago.