Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Where should domain spells be specified?

  • Michael W. Fender
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 6, 2009
      Accessing file 13727.23368.32647

      Data from user allencohn is as follows:

      > Hi folks,
      >
      > Should the association of spells with domains take place in the domain.lst
      > file or in each individual domain spell's description?
      >
      > For example, I just noticed that the spell Clenched Fist has the
      > DOMAINS:Strength=8 tag in its description. But the Strength domain also has
      > the tag
      >
      > SPELLLEVEL:DOMAIN|Strength=1|Enlarge Person|Strength=2|Bull's
      > Strength|Strength=3|Magic Vestment|Strength=4|Spell
      > Immunity|Strength=5|Righteous
      > Might|Strength=6|Stoneskin|Strength=7|Grasping Hand|Strength=8|Clenched
      > Fist|Strength=9|Crushing Hand
      >
      > which seems like the same mapping is being specified in two different
      > locations. When I set up my own custom domains, do I need to do the mapping
      > in both? either?

      Either. As it is right now, using one or the other will set up the spell to
      work with a Domain.
      --
      Fluxxdog

      think.
    • Michael W. Fender
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 6, 2009
        Accessing file 16280.7182.27882

        Data from user allencohn is as follows:

        > Thanks, Fluxxdog!
        >
        > Just out of curiosity...I'm no programmer, but isn't it sort of dangerous
        > to specify the same thing in two locations as has been done in the core
        > dataset?

        I'd think so, but the Code team seems to have a tight leash on it. I think it
        was designed this way because domain spells are listed in both the spell entry
        and the domain entry in sources, so if you enter one, the other, or both, you
        have no problem.
        --
        Fluxxdog

        think.
      • allencohn
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 6, 2009
          Thanks, Fluxxdog!

          Just out of curiosity...I'm no programmer, but isn't it sort of dangerous to specify the same thing in two locations as has been done in the core dataset?

          Allen

          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Michael W. Fender" <fluxxdog@...> wrote:

          [snip]

          > Either. As it is right now, using one or the other will set up the spell to
          > work with a Domain.
          > --
          > Fluxxdog

        • Tom Parker
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 10, 2009
            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Michael W. Fender" <fluxxdog@...> wrote:
            > Data from user allencohn is as follows:
            > > Just out of curiosity...I'm no programmer, but isn't it sort of dangerous
            > > to specify the same thing in two locations as has been done in the core
            > > dataset?
            >
            > I'd think so, but the Code team seems to have a tight leash on it. I think it
            > was designed this way because domain spells are listed in both the spell entry
            > and the domain entry in sources, so if you enter one, the other, or both, you
            > have no problem.

            Actually, I'd think this is a bit screwy. Can we get a FREQ to catch this situation, please?

            TP.
          • Michael W. Fender
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 10, 2009
              Accessing file 18318.31427.8458

              Data from user Tom is as follows:

              > > > Just out of curiosity...I'm no programmer, but isn't it sort of
              > > > dangerous to specify the same thing in two locations as has been done
              > > > in the core dataset?
              > >
              > > I'd think so, but the Code team seems to have a tight leash on it. I
              > > think it was designed this way because domain spells are listed in both
              > > the spell entry and the domain entry in sources, so if you enter one, the
              > > other, or both, you have no problem.
              >
              > Actually, I'd think this is a bit screwy. Can we get a FREQ to catch this
              > situation, please?

              2835209 - Domain spells can be defined in two places at once
              https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2835209&group_id=25576&atid=384722
              --
              Fluxxdog

              think.