Where should domain spells be specified?

  • allencohn
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 6, 2009
      Hi folks,

      Should the association of spells with domains take place in the domain.lst file or in each individual domain spell's description?

      For example, I just noticed that the spell Clenched Fist has the DOMAINS:Strength=8 tag in its description. But the Strength domain also has the tag

      SPELLLEVEL:DOMAIN|Strength=1|Enlarge Person|Strength=2|Bull's Strength|Strength=3|Magic Vestment|Strength=4|Spell Immunity|Strength=5|Righteous Might|Strength=6|Stoneskin|Strength=7|Grasping Hand|Strength=8|Clenched Fist|Strength=9|Crushing Hand

      which seems like the same mapping is being specified in two different locations. When I set up my own custom domains, do I need to do the mapping in both? either?

      Thanks,
      Allen
    • Michael W. Fender
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 6, 2009
        Accessing file 13727.23368.32647

        Data from user allencohn is as follows:

        > Hi folks,
        >
        > Should the association of spells with domains take place in the domain.lst
        > file or in each individual domain spell's description?
        >
        > For example, I just noticed that the spell Clenched Fist has the
        > DOMAINS:Strength=8 tag in its description. But the Strength domain also has
        > the tag
        >
        > SPELLLEVEL:DOMAIN|Strength=1|Enlarge Person|Strength=2|Bull's
        > Strength|Strength=3|Magic Vestment|Strength=4|Spell
        > Immunity|Strength=5|Righteous
        > Might|Strength=6|Stoneskin|Strength=7|Grasping Hand|Strength=8|Clenched
        > Fist|Strength=9|Crushing Hand
        >
        > which seems like the same mapping is being specified in two different
        > locations. When I set up my own custom domains, do I need to do the mapping
        > in both? either?

        Either. As it is right now, using one or the other will set up the spell to
        work with a Domain.
        --
        Fluxxdog

        think.
      • Michael W. Fender
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 6, 2009
          Accessing file 16280.7182.27882

          Data from user allencohn is as follows:

          > Thanks, Fluxxdog!
          >
          > Just out of curiosity...I'm no programmer, but isn't it sort of dangerous
          > to specify the same thing in two locations as has been done in the core
          > dataset?

          I'd think so, but the Code team seems to have a tight leash on it. I think it
          was designed this way because domain spells are listed in both the spell entry
          and the domain entry in sources, so if you enter one, the other, or both, you
          have no problem.
          --
          Fluxxdog

          think.
        • allencohn
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 6, 2009
            Thanks, Fluxxdog!

            Just out of curiosity...I'm no programmer, but isn't it sort of dangerous to specify the same thing in two locations as has been done in the core dataset?

            Allen

            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Michael W. Fender" <fluxxdog@...> wrote:

            [snip]

            > Either. As it is right now, using one or the other will set up the spell to
            > work with a Domain.
            > --
            > Fluxxdog

          • Tom Parker
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 10, 2009
              --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Michael W. Fender" <fluxxdog@...> wrote:
              > Data from user allencohn is as follows:
              > > Just out of curiosity...I'm no programmer, but isn't it sort of dangerous
              > > to specify the same thing in two locations as has been done in the core
              > > dataset?
              >
              > I'd think so, but the Code team seems to have a tight leash on it. I think it
              > was designed this way because domain spells are listed in both the spell entry
              > and the domain entry in sources, so if you enter one, the other, or both, you
              > have no problem.

              Actually, I'd think this is a bit screwy. Can we get a FREQ to catch this situation, please?

              TP.
            • Michael W. Fender
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 10, 2009
                Accessing file 18318.31427.8458

                Data from user Tom is as follows:

                > > > Just out of curiosity...I'm no programmer, but isn't it sort of
                > > > dangerous to specify the same thing in two locations as has been done
                > > > in the core dataset?
                > >
                > > I'd think so, but the Code team seems to have a tight leash on it. I
                > > think it was designed this way because domain spells are listed in both
                > > the spell entry and the domain entry in sources, so if you enter one, the
                > > other, or both, you have no problem.
                >
                > Actually, I'd think this is a bit screwy. Can we get a FREQ to catch this
                > situation, please?

                2835209 - Domain spells can be defined in two places at once
                https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2835209&group_id=25576&atid=384722
                --
                Fluxxdog

                think.