Re: PCGenDataConvert Hangs

  • Tom Parker
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 8, 2009
      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "omeara_frank" <fomeara@...> wrote:

      > I'm in the process of converting my old data (CMP) to 5.16. I believe my datasets are 5.14 already. I've got a fresh install of 5.16 RC3 using the installer. I then extracted one of my CMP datasets into 5.16. I launched the batch-convert.jar file and chose the CMP directory. I tried to convert the 3 core books. I got to 17% complete and the app hung. I canceled and tried again this time only doing just the DMG. I got through 45% this time and the app hung again. Is there something I'm not doing correctly? It appears to be trying to convert the DMG_d20_v35e_equip_wondrous.lst

      Are you getting any particular message from the converter?
    • omeara_frank
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 8, 2009
        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Parker" <thpr@...> wrote:

        > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "omeara_frank" <fomeara@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I'm in the process of converting my old data (CMP) to 5.16. I believe my datasets are 5.14 already. I've got a fresh install of 5.16 RC3 using the installer. I then extracted one of my CMP datasets into 5.16. I launched the batch-convert.jar file and chose the CMP directory. I tried to convert the 3 core books. I got to 17% complete and the app hung. I canceled and tried again this time only doing just the DMG. I got through 45% this time and the app hung again. Is there something I'm not doing correctly? It appears to be trying to convert the DMG_d20_v35e_equip_wondrous.lst
        > >

        > Are you getting any particular message from the converter?

        Nope just sits there. No further progress and no error messages.
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 8, 2009
          Hi Frank,

          Any reason you aren't using the latest stable release of 5.16.0?

          You might want to try that out and see if it works better.

          Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

          omeara_frank wrote:
          > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Parker" <thpr@...> wrote:
          >
          >> --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "omeara_frank" <fomeara@> wrote:
          >>
          >>> I'm in the process of converting my old data (CMP) to 5.16. I believe my datasets are 5.14 already. I've got a fresh install of 5.16 RC3 using the installer. I then extracted one of my CMP datasets into 5.16. I launched the batch-convert.jar file and chose the CMP directory. I tried to convert the 3 core books. I got to 17% complete and the app hung. I canceled and tried again this time only doing just the DMG. I got through 45% this time and the app hung again. Is there something I'm not doing correctly? It appears to be trying to convert the DMG_d20_v35e_equip_wondrous.lst
          >>>

          >> Are you getting any particular message from the converter?
          >>

          > Nope just sits there. No further progress and no error messages.

        • Paul
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 8, 2009
            Connor, what's the date on the data files in the original zip? I downloaded mine on 10/27, which was after I thought they updated them, and then found out that it wasn't updated till a couple of days afterward. So mine are still at 5.12.1, which since I'n laid off for a while I thought I'd finally get a chance to convert them and clean them up.

            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 8, 2009
              And just as a note I just used Barak's script to update my set to 5.14.1 (and deleted all the old xxx_race.lst except for the RSRD which I had to use the PreMonster>Kit script on) and the converter is hanging on the wondrous.lst file also.

              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 8, 2009

                > Hi Frank,
                >
                > Any reason you aren't using the latest stable release of 5.16.0?
                >
                > You might want to try that out and see if it works better.

                > Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
                >

                > omeara_frank wrote:
                > > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Parker" <thpr@> wrote:

                > >> Are you getting any particular message from the converter?
                > >>

                > > Nope just sits there. No further progress and no error messages.

                I uninstalled RC3 and installed the stable release and it still does the same thing.
              • Brandon Morrison
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 9, 2009
                  I noticed the same problem at first and then I started converting them one at a time instead of doing groups and it seemed to work better. After trying to do it in groups of 4, it kept hanging, so I went to doing it one at a time in an attempt to find the issue and it went away...
                • Paul
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 9, 2009
                    Uggg, I would not want to have to do that since I have the ENTIRE WotC sets. :(

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 9, 2009
                      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Brandon Morrison" <brandon_morrison@...> wrote:

                      > I noticed the same problem at first and then I started converting them one at a time instead of doing groups and it seemed to work better. After trying to do it in groups of 4, it kept hanging, so I went to doing it one at a time in an attempt to find the issue and it went away...

                      That could indicate the "hang" is from running out of memory.

                      Another option for seeing what happens is to launch it from a command line rather than double-clicking. This will give a window into which any stack traces would be dumped.

                      TP.
                    • Paul
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 9, 2009
                        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Parker" <thpr@...> wrote:

                        > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Brandon Morrison" <brandon_morrison@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I noticed the same problem at first and then I started converting them one at a time instead of doing groups and it seemed to work better. After trying to do it in groups of 4, it kept hanging, so I went to doing it one at a time in an attempt to find the issue and it went away...
                        > >

                        > That could indicate the "hang" is from running out of memory.
                        >
                        > Another option for seeing what happens is to launch it from a command line rather than double-clicking. This will give a window into which any stack traces would be dumped.
                        >
                        > TP.

                        Hey Tom, if it's using Java's defaults it's probably limited to the 64m. How can we up that amount with a .jar?
                      • Paul
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 9, 2009
                          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <nylanfs@...> wrote:

                          > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Parker" <thpr@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Brandon Morrison" <brandon_morrison@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > I noticed the same problem at first and then I started converting them one at a time instead of doing groups and it seemed to work better. After trying to do it in groups of 4, it kept hanging, so I went to doing it one at a time in an attempt to find the issue and it went away...
                          > > >

                          > > That could indicate the "hang" is from running out of memory.
                          > >
                          > > Another option for seeing what happens is to launch it from a command line rather than double-clicking. This will give a window into which any stack traces would be dumped.
                          > >
                          > > TP.
                          > >

                          > Hey Tom, if it's using Java's defaults it's probably limited to the 64m. How can we up that amount with a .jar?

                          Nevermind it's early and I haven't had coffee yet.

                          Answer: Create a batch file with the following
                          java -Xms128m -Xmx256m -jar batch-convert.jar

                          Then it also gives you a command dialog.
                        • Paul
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 9, 2009
                            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <nylanfs@...> wrote:

                            > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <nylanfs@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Parker" <thpr@> wrote:

                            > > > That could indicate the "hang" is from running out of memory.
                            > > >
                            > > > Another option for seeing what happens is to launch it from a command line rather than double-clicking. This will give a window into which any stack traces would be dumped.
                            > > >
                            > > > TP.
                            > > >

                            > > Hey Tom, if it's using Java's defaults it's probably limited to the 64m. How can we up that amount with a .jar?
                            > >

                            > Nevermind it's early and I haven't had coffee yet.
                            >
                            > Answer: Create a batch file with the following
                            > java -Xms128m -Xmx256m -jar batch-convert.jar
                            >
                            > Then it also gives you a command dialog.

                            And as an update I did the same process I had done before which was only try and convert the DMG, MM & PHB and it "paused" at the wondrous items but finished the entire set so it just looks like it needs more memory.

                            And as a FREQ, Tom could we get the converter to create a text file log of the errors just in-case we accidentally close the converter dialog?
                          • Tom Parker
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 9, 2009
                              --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <nylanfs@...> wrote:
                              > Answer: Create a batch file with the following
                              > java -Xms128m -Xmx256m -jar batch-convert.jar

                              Correct. I actually run mine at:
                              java -Xms256m -Xmx1024m -jar batch-convert.jar

                              YMMV.

                              TP.
                            • Tom Parker
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 9, 2009
                                --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <nylanfs@...> wrote:
                                > And as a FREQ, Tom could we get the converter to create a text file log of the errors just in-case we accidentally close the converter dialog?

                                open a FREQ.

                                TP.
                              • Paul
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 9, 2009
                                  --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Parker" <thpr@...> wrote:

                                  > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <nylanfs@> wrote:
                                  > > And as a FREQ, Tom could we get the converter to create a text file log of the errors just in-case we accidentally close the converter dialog?
                                  >
                                  > open a FREQ.
                                  >
                                  > TP.

                                  2819077 Error log from convertor

                                  https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2819077&group_id=25576&atid=384722
                                • omeara_frank
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 9, 2009
                                    Andrew I installed the stable release (I was not think correctly earlier) and the same thing happens.
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jul 9, 2009
                                      Thanks for that Frank.

                                      Sounds like Paul and Tom hit upon the problem... Default memory allocation.

                                      Try creating a batch file (Make text file, and make the extension '.bat')

                                      Inside the txt file (aka bat), insert the following line

                                      java -Xms256m -Xmx1024m -jar batch-convert.jar

                                      Just make sure you indeed have a 1 gb of ram to spare.

                                      Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jul 9, 2009
                                        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "omeara_frank" <fomeara@...> wrote:

                                        > Andrew I installed the stable release (I was not think correctly earlier) and the same thing happens.

                                        I took the advice given in an earlier response and created a bat file with the line:

                                        java -Xms 512m -Xmx1024m -jar batch-convert.jar

                                        So I could run the converter with more memory.

                                        I ran that selected Data directory (I think this is where I was messing up last night). And then selected the defaults the rest of the way and I was able to convert my core dataset and the complete series. I didn't try to convert more than 2 sets at a time. I'm going to try that now with some of my other data sets.