Template/Feat issues.

  • Jason Dowd
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 6, 2009
      Ran into another problem today. I've written my campaign world regions as templates that can be selected. The problem I'm running into is how to set it up so that ONLY one can be selected.

      Right now, this is what the region template looks like:
      Avaril
      LANGAUTO:Avrilian
      LANGBONUS:Elven,Straydan,Ymirian
      PRELEVEL:MAX=1
      !PREFEAT:1,Region Selected
      REGION:YES
      REMOVABLE:NO
      VISIBLE:YES
      TYPE:Regional
      VFEAT:Region Selected

      "Region Selected" is just a hidden feat that doesn't do anything -- I was intending to use it just to indicate that one had been chosen, since PRETEMPLATE: documentation doesn't indicate it can use a TYPE= tag. Unfortunately, what's happening is that when a region is selected, the selected region is made unusable (turns red), and the auto language disappears, and the regional feats are no longer available.

      Is there a better way to do this? Ideally, a TYPE= parameter for PRETEMPLATE I think would work best, but what else can I do?

      Thanks,
      Jason
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 6, 2009
        Hi,

        You want a region dealio, and you only want one correct?

        In ability category file

        ABILITYCATEGORY:Your Campaign Name Region Choice
        CATEGORY:Special Ability
        TYPE:RegionChoice
        EDITABLE:YES
        EDITPOOL:NO
        POOL:1
        DISPLAYLOCATION:Feats
        FRACTIONALPOOL:NO

        In your ability file:
        Region Name
        CATEGORY:Special Ability
        TYPE:RegionChoice
        TEMPLATE: <RegionTemplate you created>

        Rinse and repeat.

        What that basically does is set up a single choice pool and applies the
        one choice. With the benefit of changing it later if you want.

        Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

        Jason Dowd wrote:
        > Ran into another problem today. I've written my campaign world regions as templates that can be selected. The problem I'm running into is how to set it up so that ONLY one can be selected.
        >
        > Right now, this is what the region template looks like:
        > Avaril
        > LANGAUTO:Avrilian
        > LANGBONUS:Elven,Straydan,Ymirian
        > PRELEVEL:MAX=1
        > !PREFEAT:1,Region Selected
        > REGION:YES
        > REMOVABLE:NO
        > VISIBLE:YES
        > TYPE:Regional
        > VFEAT:Region Selected
        >
        > "Region Selected" is just a hidden feat that doesn't do anything -- I was intending to use it just to indicate that one had been chosen, since PRETEMPLATE: documentation doesn't indicate it can use a TYPE= tag. Unfortunately, what's happening is that when a region is selected, the selected region is made unusable (turns red), and the auto language disappears, and the regional feats are no longer available.
        >
        > Is there a better way to do this? Ideally, a TYPE= parameter for PRETEMPLATE I think would work best, but what else can I do?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Jason

      • Jason Dowd
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 6, 2009

          > You want a region dealio, and you only want one correct?
          >

          > In ability category file
          >
          > ABILITYCATEGORY:Your Campaign Name Region Choice
          > CATEGORY:Special Ability
          > TYPE:RegionChoice
          > EDITABLE:YES
          > EDITPOOL:NO
          > POOL:1
          > DISPLAYLOCATION:Feats
          > FRACTIONALPOOL:NO
          >

          > In your ability file:
          > Region Name
          > CATEGORY:Special Ability
          > TYPE:RegionChoice
          > TEMPLATE: <RegionTemplate you created>
          >

          > Rinse and repeat.
          >
          > What that basically does is set up a single choice pool and applies the
          > one choice. With the benefit of changing it later if you want.

          > Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

          That looks like it would work, except how would someone select it? If I understand correctly, basically it's just going to be a special ability instead of a template that determines the region. With templates it's easy enough to choose it from the Race->Template tab in PCGen, but for this it seems like it'd have to try to add a feat to every class that forces a regional choice?

          Jason
        • Eric C Smith
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 6, 2009
            Hi Folks!

            Jason wrote:
            > Andrew wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > You want a region dealio, and you only want one correct?
            > >

            > > In ability category file
            > >
            > > ABILITYCATEGORY:Your Campaign Name Region Choice
            > > CATEGORY:Special Ability
            > > TYPE:RegionChoice
            > > EDITABLE:YES
            > > EDITPOOL:NO
            > > POOL:1
            > > DISPLAYLOCATION:Feats
            > > FRACTIONALPOOL:NO
            > >

            > > In your ability file:
            > > Region Name
            > > CATEGORY:Special Ability
            > > TYPE:RegionChoice
            > > TEMPLATE: <RegionTemplate you created>
            > >

            > > Rinse and repeat.
            > >
            > > What that basically does is set up a single choice pool and
            > applies the
            > > one choice. With the benefit of changing it later if you want.
            > >
            > > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
            > > Admin Silverback, PCGen Board of Directors
            > > Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
            >
            > That looks like it would work, except how would someone select it?
            > If I understand correctly, basically it's just going to be a
            > special ability instead of a template that determines the region.
            > With templates it's easy enough to choose it from the Race-
            > >Template tab in PCGen, but for this it seems like it'd have to try
            > to add a feat to every class that forces a regional choice?

            Following Andrews solution, your player will go to the Feats and
            Abilities tab and will select the region under theYour Campaign
            Region Choice" abilties and with only one point in the pool they will
            only get one selection.

            Maredudd
          • Jason Dowd
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 6, 2009
              --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eric C Smith <maredudd@...> wrote:

              > Following Andrews solution, your player will go to the Feats and
              > Abilities tab and will select the region under theYour Campaign
              > Region Choice" abilties and with only one point in the pool they will
              > only get one selection.
              >
              > Maredudd

              Ahhh, ok. I'm still getting used to the new Abilities (it's been a while since I touched PCGen). Thanks!

              Jason
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 6, 2009
                Thanks Eric, my modem had to be replaced... no internet for a few hours.
                *shudder*.

                Yeah, Jason, feel free to 'rename' the abilitycategory, it's just a
                general guideline to get you going in the right direction.

                Plus, as a bonus, PCGen will remind you that you still have that
                selection to make. Unlike templates which it won't.

                Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin