Adding skill ranks to all Class Skills

  • sorcel00
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 9, 2009
      Preface: I'm a code dummy.

      That said, I'm in a game where, instead of spending points on skills, PCs pick class skills, and the ranks in those class skills are automatically set by character level.

      Thus, I'm trying to build a BONUS that adds additional skill ranks to all of a character's Class Skills. And I'm drawing a blank. Aside from CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMED|CLASS, I can't figure out to grab every Class Skill and nothing else.

      Help?

      -S
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 9, 2009
        Hi S,

        Well, that is quite a teaser of a system.

        Okay, so you choose skills. From a list?

        Here is how I would do it, based upon the information you've given me:

        Each Skill gets an ability

        Climb
        Spot
        Tumble
        etc. (Or whatever the real names, since each system likes to alter the
        base skill set)

        Now each ability gets
        CATEGORY:Special Ability (Or make up a new one like Class Skill)
        TYPE:ClassSkillChoice

        BONUS:SKILLRANK|<insert name of skill here>|TL
        CSKILL:<insert name of skill here>

        Example: (Each line is a tab)
        Climb
        CATEGORY:Skill Choice
        TYPE:ClassSkillChoice
        BONUS:SKILLRANK|Climb|TL
        CSKILL:Climb

        Okay, that is set up for each ability/skill

        Then, you make the actual abilitycategory

        ABILITYCATEGORY:Skill Choice
        CATEGORY:Skill Choice
        (That sets up the new category for us)

        ABILITYCATEGORY:Class Skill Selection
        CATEGORY:Skill Choice
        TYPE:ClassSkillChoice
        EDITABLE:YES
        EDITPOOL:YES
        FRACTIONALPOOL:NO
        PLURAL:Class Skill Selections
        DISPLAYLOCATION:Class Abilities
        (Or wherever you want the ABILITYCATEGORY to be displayed, it can
        warrant it's own section)
        VISIBLE:QUALIFY

        Now, the only thing left is to grant your skill selections. If you want
        the easy method you can just create templates that bonus the abilitypool
        and be done; if this is for a system, you can place the bonus inside the
        classes... depends on how you have it setup.

        BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Class Skill Selection|x
        x= the number of Choices you want in you pool

        BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Class Skill Selection|6
        You get 6 points in the Class Skill Selection pool.

        So, say I want to use the template method:

        Grant six class skills
        BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Class Skill Selection|6
        VISIBLE:DISPLAY

        Grant four class skills
        BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Class Skill Selection|4
        VISIBLE:DISPLAY

        Now I have two templates that I can grab in the GUI, but won't show up
        on the Outputsheet or Preview/Character Sheet.

        If you want to tack them onto a class, you can do like this:
        CLASS:Fighter.MOD
        1 BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Class Skill Selection|4

        That will always grant the fighter class 4 skills to choose.

        Okay, feel free to copy/paste to your hearts content. If you need
        further help, feel free to ask. I'm sure you'll get another response on
        another way to accomplish this.

        Hope that helps.

        Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin