Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Obtain Familiar feat implementation

    Message 1 of 5 , May 22 12:26 PM
      Follow up

      I removed the FOLLOWERS tag from the Obtain Familiar, left the rest as
      is. (FOLLWERS is already present in Summon Familiar, leaving it will
      allow you to have two familiars)
      For testing purposes I also removed the PRExxx tags

      Loaded up, made a 1st level adept (yes, a 1st level adept doesn't
      qualify, but for testing the results it doesn't matter).

      Added the Obtain Familiar Feat, went to resources, and saw Familiar as a
      choice with 0/1 for allowed. All standard choices present.

      I'm using the 5.16.0 version.

      If you need further assistance in this matter, feel free to email me
      direct (Email is in the post) or you can contact me via IM (drew0500 is
      my YIM name)

      Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

      Andrew Maitland wrote:
      > Hi Jeff,
      >
      > Welcome to PCGen. A quick note, please don't submit the non-relevant
      > code snippets from closed sources, i.e. anything from Wizards of the
      > Coast (Which is pretty much everything they put out). The whole Benefit
      > section, source book, etc. is a no no.
      >
      > Now, onto the problem.
      >
      > You take the feat and what happens? Nothing shows up or you can't take a
      > familiar?
      >

      > You also forgot one important aspect. The Variable that controls the
      > level of the familiar. I'd add something like
      >
      > BONUS:VAR|FMLevel|TL
      >
      > That shouldn't be affecting the ability to see the familiar section in
      > inventory though.
      >
      > I'll take a quick test run and get back to you with the results.

      > Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
      >

      > Jeff Hoover wrote:
      >
      >> Hi there.
      >>
      >> I'm trying to implement the Feat "Obtain Familiar" which grants an Arcane caster the ability to have a familiar if they are not a sorcerer or wizard.
      >>
      >> I can't seem to get PCGen to allow the Familiar group to show up with the other companions (in Inventory > Resources).
      >>
      >> I thought that adding "FOLLOWERS:Familiar|1" and "ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Summon Familiar" would do it, but it doesn't work.
      >>
      >> Here is the LST entry I am trying to use:
      >>
      >> Obtain Familiar TYPE:General PRECLASS:1,SPELLCASTER.Arcane=3 PRESKILL:1,Knowledge (Arcana)=4 DESC:You gain a familiar.
      >> FOLLOWERS:Familiar|1
      >> ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Summon Familiar
      >> SOURCELONG:Complete Arcane SOURCESHORT:cmparc SOURCEPAGE:p.81 BENEFIT:You can obtain a familiar in the same manner as a sorcerer or wizard (see the sorcerer class description and the accompanying sidebar, page 52 of the Players Handbook). As with a sorcerer or wizard, obtaining a familiar takes 24 hours and uses up magic materials worth 100 gp.
      >>

      >> Any clues would be helpful!

    • Jeff Hoover
      Message 2 of 5 , May 22 3:28 PM
        Thank you. Sorry about the block posting.

        What has been happening is that the Feat shows up and I can select it on characters that qualify, but it doesn't let me choose a Familiar in the Inventory area. Mounts and Followers, but no Familiars.

        :\

        It's currently

        PRECLASS:1,SPELLCASTER.Arcane=3 PRESKILL:1,Knowledge (Arcana)=4 VISIBLE:YES
        ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Summon Familiar
        BONUS:VAR|FMLevel|TL

        Oddly, "ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Summon Familiar" shows up as an available feat. That's not right... (and is likely the issue.)

        and....

        It works now. I had the feat on multiple lines so it wasn't loading it. Doh!

        Message 3 of 5 , May 22 3:41 PM
          Glad to be able to help you work it out. Keep on coding.

          Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin