Re: [Eddy, Tom]Migrating LST files from 5.14.1 to 5.16.0

  • Eric C. Smith
    Message 1 of 21 , May 5, 2009
      Andrew,

      If you can, please create a Doc FREQ for documenting the
      Data Converter. I'll be thinking about where to put it.

      Eric

      Message 2 of 21 , May 5, 2009
        No problem,

        is this what you had in mind?
        2787382 Add PCGen 5.16.0 Converter Instructions
        <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2787382&group_id=25576&atid=748235>

        Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

        Eric C. Smith wrote:
        > Andrew,
        >
        > If you can, please create a Doc FREQ for documenting the
        > Data Converter. I'll be thinking about where to put it.
        >
        > Eric
        >
        > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...> wrote:
        >
        >> Eric pointed you in the right direction.
        >>
        >> Though you need the command line to tell it what to do. (Run the Command
        >> in Windows, I don't know about the other operating systems though). I'll
        >> make it a priority to see if I can't track down where the documentation
        >> is hiding, and see if Eric can place it in the docs in a prime location.
        >>
        >> Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
        >> Admin Silverback, PCGen Board of Directors
        >> Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
        >>

        >> allencohn wrote:
        >>
        >>> Hi Andrew,
        >>>
        >>> Thank you for the help. Yes, documentation would help me a lot since I'm not adept with Java, etc.
        >>>
        >>> I don't even know what you mean by "invoke it via command line."
        >>>
        >>> I tried double clicking on BatchConvert.jar and something happened, but I don't think I used it correctly.
        >>>
        >>> Thanks in advance,
        >>> Allen

      • Eric C. Smith
        Message 3 of 21 , May 5, 2009
          Thats exactly what I had in mind!

          Thanks!

          > No problem,
          >
          > is this what you had in mind?
          > 2787382 Add PCGen 5.16.0 Converter Instructions
          > <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2787382&group_id=25576&atid=748235>

          > Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
          >

          > Eric C. Smith wrote:
          > > Andrew,
          > >
          > > If you can, please create a Doc FREQ for documenting the
          > > Data Converter. I'll be thinking about where to put it.
          > >
          > > Eric
          > >
          > > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@> wrote:
          > >
          > >> Eric pointed you in the right direction.
          > >>
          > >> Though you need the command line to tell it what to do. (Run the Command
          > >> in Windows, I don't know about the other operating systems though). I'll
          > >> make it a priority to see if I can't track down where the documentation
          > >> is hiding, and see if Eric can place it in the docs in a prime location.
          > >>
          > >> Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
          > >> Admin Silverback, PCGen Board of Directors
          > >> Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

        • allencohn
          Message 4 of 21 , May 5, 2009
            I don't think I'm making my key question clear. Do I

            A) copy all my custom files (both the hand-coded ones and the ones generated by Tools|List Editor) from the 5.14.1 director to the corresponding location in the 5.16.0 directory and then run the converter on the files in place

            B) Do not copy over any files but instead run the converter which will, in the process of running, copy over the files from 5.14.1 to 5.16.0

            Thanks,
            Allen

            > Ah, gotcha...
            >
            > Follow the on screen prompts fully. You choose your data sets to convert
            > along with the gamemode, and then choose where to place the converted
            > sets, then it does the conversion, and displays a log for you see any
            > errors or issues.

            > Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
            >

            > allencohn wrote:
            > > Hi again,
            > >
            > > Yup, I have Java installed.
            > >
            > > My questions are that the on-screen prompts don't give quite enough direction. See my earlier message for the areas of confusion, such as should I manually copy my files from 5.14.1 to 5.16.0 and then run the program, or use the program to copy the files?
            > >
            > > Allen
            > >
            > > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@> wrote:
            > >
            > >> Never mind about the command line. That was when I had to troubleshoot it.
            > >>
            > >> Double clicking on the Batch-Convert.jar should pop up a window. After
            > >> that it should be a matter of following the on screen prompts...
            > >>
            > >> You need Java installed for this to work. If click on the Jar file
            > >> doesn't do anything, then you need to make a .BAT file... in that case
            > >> use this:
            > >> java -jar batch-convert.jar
            > >>
            > >> Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
            > >> Admin Silverback, PCGen Board of Directors
            > >> Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

          • Andrew Wilson
            Message 5 of 21 , May 5, 2009
              Yes, do one of those things :-).

              Actually, I would suggest that you copy the originals to some new
              location, then process them to some other new location, finally,
              copy the converted files into 5.16. That should give you less chance
              of accidentally over-writing something.

              2009/5/5 allencohn <allen@...>:
              > I don't think I'm making my key question clear. Do I
              >
              > A) copy all my custom files (both the hand-coded ones and the ones generated by Tools|List Editor) from the 5.14.1 director to the corresponding location in the 5.16.0 directory and then run the converter on the files in place
              >
              > B) Do not copy over any files but instead run the converter which will, in the process of running, copy over the files from 5.14.1 to 5.16.0
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Allen
              >
              > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Ah, gotcha...
              >>
              >> Follow the on screen prompts fully. You choose your data sets to convert
              >> along with the gamemode, and then choose where to place the converted
              >> sets, then it does the conversion, and displays a log for you see any
              >> errors or issues.
              >>
              >> Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
              >> Admin Silverback, PCGen Board of Directors
              >> Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
              >>

              >> allencohn wrote:
              >> > Hi again,
              >> >
              >> > Yup, I have Java installed.
              >> >
              >> > My questions are that the on-screen prompts don't give quite enough direction. See my earlier message for the areas of confusion, such as should I manually copy my files from 5.14.1 to 5.16.0 and then run the program, or use the program to copy the files?
              >> >
              >> > Allen

            • allencohn
              Message 6 of 21 , May 6, 2009
                OK...I attempted it and had two serious problems (so far):

                1. While the batch converter can find my hand-coded files (perhaps because a .pcc is in the lot) it cannot find the files generated by the LST generator. These are the files located at pcgen5160/data/customsources/35e. And I'm pretty sure that the 5.14.1 generated LST files are NOT 5.16.0 compatible. Any idea how to make the converter fix this?

                2. The converter spat out a variety of ominous warning messages. Would any kind expert out there be willing to look at the errors and tell me which I actually need to do something about? (I only understood a few elements of 5.14.1 code...I have no idea how 5.16.0 code is different...)

                Many thanks,
                Allen

                Message 7 of 21 , May 6, 2009
                  Flagging for Tom

                  Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

                  allencohn wrote:
                  > OK...I attempted it and had two serious problems (so far):
                  >
                  > 1. While the batch converter can find my hand-coded files (perhaps because a .pcc is in the lot) it cannot find the files generated by the LST generator. These are the files located at pcgen5160/data/customsources/35e. And I'm pretty sure that the 5.14.1 generated LST files are NOT 5.16.0 compatible. Any idea how to make the converter fix this?
                  >
                  > 2. The converter spat out a variety of ominous warning messages. Would any kind expert out there be willing to look at the errors and tell me which I actually need to do something about? (I only understood a few elements of 5.14.1 code...I have no idea how 5.16.0 code is different...)
                  >
                  > Many thanks,
                  > Allen
                  >

                  > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Wilson <andrew@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> Yes, do one of those things :-).
                  >>
                  >> Actually, I would suggest that you copy the originals to some new
                  >> location, then process them to some other new location, finally,
                  >> copy the converted files into 5.16. That should give you less chance
                  >> of accidentally over-writing something.

                • allencohn
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 8, 2009
                    Help...anyone...Buehler? Buehler?

                    Message 9 of 21 , May 8, 2009
                      Go ahead and email me the messages direct.

                      Question: Does the set work in pcgen?

                      Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

                      allencohn wrote:
                      > Help...anyone...Buehler? Buehler?
                      >
                      > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> Flagging for Tom
                      >>
                      >> Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                      >> Admin Silverback, PCGen Board of Directors
                      >> Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
                      >>

                      >> allencohn wrote:
                      >>
                      >>> OK...I attempted it and had two serious problems (so far):
                      >>>
                      >>> 1. While the batch converter can find my hand-coded files (perhaps because a .pcc is in the lot) it cannot find the files generated by the LST generator. These are the files located at pcgen5160/data/customsources/35e. And I'm pretty sure that the 5.14.1 generated LST files are NOT 5.16.0 compatible. Any idea how to make the converter fix this?
                      >>>
                      >>> 2. The converter spat out a variety of ominous warning messages. Would any kind expert out there be willing to look at the errors and tell me which I actually need to do something about? (I only understood a few elements of 5.14.1 code...I have no idea how 5.16.0 code is different...)
                      >>>
                      >>> Many thanks,
                      >>> Allen

                    • Tom Parker
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 8, 2009
                        Allan,

                        I apologize for the slow response from me, I just got home from 14 hours of plane flights and a week long contract negotiation with a business partner, so I haven't read any of the thread until now.

                        A lot of this seems to have been handled "in stream", but for posterity and to cover some open issues:

                        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "allencohn" <allen@...> wrote:

                        > It's interesting that I need a command line in a DOS window to activate it.
                        >
                        > At one point I just double clicked on BatchConvert.jar and it seemed to fire up just fine...

                        The docs from an old note of mine are no longer valid. It originally required a command line to launch until James (thanks, James!) did some work to put a UI on the front end to ask the appropriate configuration questions. At this point, as you've discovered, double clicking on BatchConvert.jar should be sufficient.

                        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "allencohn" <allen@...> wrote:
                        > I don't think I'm making my key question clear. Do I

                        > B) Do not copy over any files but instead run the converter which will, in the process of running, copy over the files from 5.14.1 to 5.16.0

                        ^^ B

                        The converter will not modify the incoming files, so there is no need to copy them before conversion. Hopefully the system won't allow you to overwrite the files. I think I tested that :)

                        There have been some reported issues when significantly changing the directory in which things are written (and I haven't had a chance to debug it & write a fix yet), so I would advise the following: In your PCGen 5.14.1 install create a directory called "newdata". Identify "newdata" as the target directory in the conversion. The copy the converted directories by hand into the data directory in your PCGen 5.16 install.

                        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "allencohn" <allen@...> wrote:
                        > 1. While the batch converter can find my hand-coded files (perhaps because a .pcc is in the lot) it cannot find the files generated by the LST generator. These are the files located at pcgen5160/data/customsources/35e. And I'm pretty sure that the 5.14.1 generated LST files are NOT 5.16.0 compatible. Any idea how to make the converter fix this?

                        This is actually an interesting question, and a problem I had not considered in writing the converter.

                        Two things:
                        (1) Try just copying it over into 5.16, open PCGen, make a data change (create a throw-away item) and close PCGen. This should force a save in the new syntax. The next load into 5.16 shouldn't generate any errors. There are a few cases where this will fail, but it should cover 90+% of cases.
                        (2) We will have to look into this as an enhancement. TM, FREQ please.

                        > 2. The converter spat out a variety of ominous warning messages. Would any kind expert out there be willing to look at the errors and tell me which I actually need to do something about? (I only understood a few elements of 5.14.1 code...I have no idea how 5.16.0 code is different...)

                        Since I wrote a good portion of the messages you are welcome to send them to me in personal mail. I'm not going to guarantee a rapid response (so sending to Andrew as well to see what he can help with may be useful), as I'm going to remain sparse for a bit as I'm
                        working through the weekend on both my "day job" that got displaced this last week and the contract issues from the negotiation.

                        TP.