Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: Houserule Implementation - Success!!

    Message 1 of 18 , May 1, 2009
      >> I'd like a file we could use for universal bonuses instead of having to
      >> hack it in the pcc or the gamemode, maybe even a new 'houserule' file.
      >
      > Define a new PCC file. Put it there and load with a PCC token in your global PCC file.  I don't know it would be valuable to have a separate HOUSERULEFILE: token to do the same function.  I find that unnecessary complexity to have two "identical" items with different names.

      I'm the opposite way. I think of the PCC with BONUS a "hack" to NOT
      make a separate file that loads global bonuses, etc. To me, The PCC
      should make file calls, and describe the set, and that's it.
      HIDETYPE, etc. to me belong in a separate "Rule" file. I'd personally
      like to see them Deprecated from PCC in favor of a new file that does
      that stuff. It's about keeping structure in the file/campaign
      structure.

    • David R. Bender
      Message 2 of 18 , May 2, 2009
        I agree with Tir on this.

        However, I don't think it is a priority item for now, and a good spec
        should be discussed on the Wiki first.

        David
        Papa.DRB

        Grognard <http://home.hvc.rr.com/davidstuff/Grognard.html>
        My better half and me
        <http://home.hvc.rr.com/davidstuff/Nana-and-Papa2.JPG>

        Tir Gwaith wrote:
        >>> I'd like a file we could use for universal bonuses instead of having to
        >>> hack it in the pcc or the gamemode, maybe even a new 'houserule' file.
        >>>
        >> Define a new PCC file. Put it there and load with a PCC token in your global PCC file. I don't know it would be valuable to have a separate HOUSERULEFILE: token to do the same function. I find that unnecessary complexity to have two "identical" items with different names.
        >>

        > I'm the opposite way. I think of the PCC with BONUS a "hack" to NOT
        > make a separate file that loads global bonuses, etc. To me, The PCC
        > should make file calls, and describe the set, and that's it.
        > HIDETYPE, etc. to me belong in a separate "Rule" file. I'd personally
        > like to see them Deprecated from PCC in favor of a new file that does
        > that stuff. It's about keeping structure in the file/campaign
        > structure.

      • David R. Bender
        Message 3 of 18 , May 9, 2009
          I have coded up an alternative iterative attacks template, and it works
          fine for displaying weapons. My problem is with the CMB (Pathfinder),
          which is used instead of Grapple, and is defined only as a Variable.

          Here are some code snippets and what shows up. In the /head section:
          <script language="JavaScript">
          // <!-- ;
          function setCMB(baseattackbonus) {
          if (baseattackbonus >= 6) {
          document.write("equal to or larger than 6");
          } else {
          document.write("less than 6");
          }
          // < end hide -->
          </script>

          Further on down in the /body section:
          Even though setCMB is a function, what is actually is displayed in the
          browser is: "setCMB(+3)"

          language="javascript">setCMB(|ATTACK.MELEE.BASE|);</script></td>
          Displays a blank field, ie nothing at all.

          I have tried to put document.write in the <td>, and just return the
          phrase that I want printed.

          Can someone give me some pointers, or outright tell me what I am doing
          wrong? thanks!!!

          David
          Papa.DRB

          Grognard (definition 1)
          My better half and me
        • Martijn Verburg
          Message 4 of 18 , May 11, 2009
            Your function looks like it doesn't have the correct number of closing brackets. Throw an alert("me!"); call in the first line of the function to make sure it's being called.

            > I have coded up an alternative iterative attacks template, and it works
            > fine for displaying weapons. My problem is with the CMB (Pathfinder),
            > which is used instead of Grapple, and is defined only as a Variable.
            >
            > Here are some code snippets and what shows up. In the /head section:
            > <script language="JavaScript">
            > // <!-- ;
            > function setCMB(baseattackbonus) {
            > if (baseattackbonus >= 6) {
            > document.write("equal to or larger than 6");
            > } else {
            > document.write("less than 6");
            > }
            > // < end hide -->
            > </script>
            >
            > Further on down in the /body section:
            > Even though setCMB is a function, what is actually is displayed in the
            > browser is: "setCMB(+3)"

            > language="javascript">setCMB(|ATTACK.MELEE.BASE|);</script></td>
            > Displays a blank field, ie nothing at all.
            >
            > I have tried to put document.write in the <td>, and just return the
            > phrase that I want printed.
            >
            > Can someone give me some pointers, or outright tell me what I am doing
            > wrong? thanks!!!
            >

            > David
            > Papa.DRB
            >
            > Grognard (definition 1)
            > My better half and me
            > The Internet: Because None of Us Are As Dumb as All of Us

          • David R. Bender
            Message 5 of 18 , May 11, 2009
              Fixed the }'s and added the alert("Me!"). The alert is not being called.
              Tried via Print Preview and Exporting. What is showing up in the
              exported file is:

              Shouldn't that call the function? Am I missing a setting?

              David
              Papa.DRB

              Grognard (definition 1)
              My better half and me

              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 1, 2009
                Hi David,

                Send me the files directly, I'll take a look.

                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 1, 2009
                  I finally figured it out.

                  Started with a one line procedure (the alert), and then added one line
                  at a time. Turns out the } else { borked it along with me not understand
                  where semi-colons should be placed, but I finally got it working the way
                  I want. Thanks for the offer of help.

                  David
                  Papa.DRB

                  Grognard (definition 1)