Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: [pcgen] Houserule Implementation - Help?

    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 30, 2009
      Hm,

      Okay... Yeah you're right.
      Drop the iterations to 1

      BONUS:COMBAT|ATTACKS|1 with BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT|-2

      That will give you an additional attack (no iteration penalty of -5) and
      give you the Penalty of -2.

      So
      5th level +5
      6th level +4/+4

      Is how it would look

      I think you can put that in the gamemode file (Stats and Checks)

      BONUS:ATTACKS|1|PREATT:6 (Hmm, I think that would work)
      BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT|IterationProgress
      DEFINE:IterationProgress|0
      BONUS:VAR|IterationProgress|-2|(Need a PRExxx to limit it to go into
      effect at the proper level, PREATT:6 seems sufficient)
      BONUS:VAR|IterationProgress|1|(Same Prexxx concept, this one goes into
      effect at the next BAB step, so PREATT:11)
      BONUS:VAR|IterationProgress|1|PREATT:16

      I think that would work. I can test MUCH later tonight, if it isn't
      working for you.

      Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

    • David R. Bender
      Message 2 of 18 , May 1, 2009
        Bad news, Stats and Checks doesn't like the code, but....

        Good news, is I figured out a slightly different way.

        1) Copied Pathfinder gamemode to PfRPG gamemode.
        2) In miscinfo.lst changed BABMAXATT:4 to BABMAXATT:1.
        3) Created a Templates file and added it to my .pcc for Pathfinder extras.
        Template:
        Iterative Attacks
        VISIBLE:NO
        BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT|IterationProgress
        DEFINE:IterationProgress|0
        BONUS:VAR|IterationProgress|-2|PREATT:6
        BONUS:VAR|IterationProgress|1|PREATT:11
        BONUS:VAR|IterationProgress|1|PREATT:16
        BONUS:COMBAT|ATTACKS|1|PREATT:6
        4) Updated my modified Race file for each PC race and added:
        ADD:TEMPLATE|Iterative Attacks

        Works like a champ. Thanks for all the advice and help!

        Message 3 of 18 , May 1, 2009
          Glad it worked. Disappointed something wasn't working in statsandchecks...

          David, did you put the tags on a STAT line? If not, then it won't work.
          I know bonus tags and Defines all work there.

          Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

          Message 4 of 18 , May 1, 2009
            Originally not added to a STAT line. I just tried however by adding to
            the Wisdom STAT line (it was the shortest), and it works... *cool*

            Andrew Maitland wrote:
            > Glad it worked. Disappointed something wasn't working in statsandchecks...
            >
            > David, did you put the tags on a STAT line? If not, then it won't work.
            > I know bonus tags and Defines all work there.

            > Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
            >

            > David R. Bender wrote:
            >
            >> Bad news, Stats and Checks doesn't like the code, but....
            >>
            >> Good news, is I figured out a slightly different way.
            >>
            >> 1) Copied Pathfinder gamemode to PfRPG gamemode.
            >> 2) In miscinfo.lst changed BABMAXATT:4 to BABMAXATT:1.
            >> 3) Created a Templates file and added it to my .pcc for Pathfinder extras.
            >> Template:
            >> Iterative Attacks
            >> VISIBLE:NO
            >> BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT|IterationProgress
            >> DEFINE:IterationProgress|0
            >> BONUS:VAR|IterationProgress|-2|PREATT:6
            >> BONUS:VAR|IterationProgress|1|PREATT:11
            >> BONUS:VAR|IterationProgress|1|PREATT:16
            >> BONUS:COMBAT|ATTACKS|1|PREATT:6
            >> 4) Updated my modified Race file for each PC race and added:
            >> ADD:TEMPLATE|Iterative Attacks
            >>
            >> Works like a champ. Thanks for all the advice and help!
            >>
            >> David
            >> Papa.DRB
            >>
            >> Grognard <http://home.hvc.rr.com/davidstuff/Grognard.html>
            >> My better half and me
            >> <http://home.hvc.rr.com/davidstuff/Nana-and-Papa2.JPG>
            >> The Internet: Because None of Us Are As Dumb as All of Us
            >>

            >> Andrew Maitland wrote:
            >>

            >>> Hm,
            >>>
            >>> Okay... Yeah you're right.
            >>> Drop the iterations to 1
            >>>
            >>> BONUS:COMBAT|ATTACKS|1 with BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT|-2
            >>>
            >>> That will give you an additional attack (no iteration penalty of -5) and
            >>> give you the Penalty of -2.
            >>>
            >>> So
            >>> 5th level +5

            Message 5 of 18 , May 1, 2009
              Yeah, handy for 'universal' rules application.

              Cool, glad we got it figured out.

              Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

              Message 6 of 18 , May 1, 2009
                On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 3:09 PM, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...> wrote:
                > Yeah, handy for 'universal' rules application.
                >
                > Cool, glad we got it figured out.

                BONUS code now works in PCCs as well. Tom mentioned that a while
                back. Has that been documented?

                Message 7 of 18 , May 1, 2009
                  No, though I think Tom wants to avoid documenting that, as it's a "flaw"
                  IIRC.

                  Plus, I'm not exactly sure how the syntax looks, is it "BONUS:Blah"
                  anywhere in the pcc? Does it only work for BONUS tags (Which the define
                  we used in this case would not qualify).

                  I'd like a file we could use for universal bonuses instead of having to
                  hack it in the pcc or the gamemode, maybe even a new 'houserule' file.

                  Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

                  Tir Gwaith wrote:
                  > On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 3:09 PM, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> Yeah, handy for 'universal' rules application.
                  >>
                  >> Cool, glad we got it figured out.
                  >>

                  > BONUS code now works in PCCs as well. Tom mentioned that a while
                  > back. Has that been documented?

                • Tom Parker
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 1, 2009

                    > No, though I think Tom wants to avoid documenting that, as it's a "flaw"
                    > IIRC.

                    It's not a bug, it's a feature. It should be documented. If it's not, a tracker should be opened.

                    Tir is right and that feature was intentional, to allow for global usage without having a hack of putting something in a STAT that is unrelated to the STAT.

                    > Plus, I'm not exactly sure how the syntax looks

                    It's a BONUS tag on an individual line. One token per line.

                    > Does it only work for BONUS tags (Which the define
                    > we used in this case would not qualify).

                    DEFINE works, it was one of the tests I did when I made the change.

                    It (theoretically) will work for any Global token.

                    > I'd like a file we could use for universal bonuses instead of having to
                    > hack it in the pcc or the gamemode, maybe even a new 'houserule' file.

                    Define a new PCC file. Put it there and load with a PCC token in your global PCC file. I don't know it would be valuable to have a separate HOUSERULEFILE: token to do the same function. I find that unnecessary complexity to have two "identical" items with different names.

                    TP.
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 1, 2009
                      >> I'd like a file we could use for universal bonuses instead of having to
                      >> hack it in the pcc or the gamemode, maybe even a new 'houserule' file.
                      >
                      > Define a new PCC file. Put it there and load with a PCC token in your global PCC file.  I don't know it would be valuable to have a separate HOUSERULEFILE: token to do the same function.  I find that unnecessary complexity to have two "identical" items with different names.

                      I'm the opposite way. I think of the PCC with BONUS a "hack" to NOT
                      make a separate file that loads global bonuses, etc. To me, The PCC
                      should make file calls, and describe the set, and that's it.
                      HIDETYPE, etc. to me belong in a separate "Rule" file. I'd personally
                      like to see them Deprecated from PCC in favor of a new file that does
                      that stuff. It's about keeping structure in the file/campaign
                      structure.

                    • David R. Bender
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 2, 2009
                        I agree with Tir on this.

                        However, I don't think it is a priority item for now, and a good spec
                        should be discussed on the Wiki first.

                        Tir Gwaith wrote:
                        >>> I'd like a file we could use for universal bonuses instead of having to
                        >>> hack it in the pcc or the gamemode, maybe even a new 'houserule' file.
                        >>>
                        >> Define a new PCC file. Put it there and load with a PCC token in your global PCC file. I don't know it would be valuable to have a separate HOUSERULEFILE: token to do the same function. I find that unnecessary complexity to have two "identical" items with different names.
                        >>

                        > I'm the opposite way. I think of the PCC with BONUS a "hack" to NOT
                        > make a separate file that loads global bonuses, etc. To me, The PCC
                        > should make file calls, and describe the set, and that's it.
                        > HIDETYPE, etc. to me belong in a separate "Rule" file. I'd personally
                        > like to see them Deprecated from PCC in favor of a new file that does
                        > that stuff. It's about keeping structure in the file/campaign
                        > structure.

                      • David R. Bender
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 9, 2009
                          I have coded up an alternative iterative attacks template, and it works
                          fine for displaying weapons. My problem is with the CMB (Pathfinder),
                          which is used instead of Grapple, and is defined only as a Variable.

                          Here are some code snippets and what shows up. In the /head section:
                          <script language="JavaScript">
                          // <!-- ;
                          function setCMB(baseattackbonus) {
                          if (baseattackbonus >= 6) {
                          document.write("equal to or larger than 6");
                          } else {
                          document.write("less than 6");
                          }
                          // < end hide -->
                          </script>

                          Further on down in the /body section:
                          Even though setCMB is a function, what is actually is displayed in the
                          browser is: "setCMB(+3)"

                          language="javascript">setCMB(|ATTACK.MELEE.BASE|);</script></td>
                          Displays a blank field, ie nothing at all.

                          I have tried to put document.write in the <td>, and just return the
                          phrase that I want printed.

                          Can someone give me some pointers, or outright tell me what I am doing
                          wrong? thanks!!!

                          David
                          Papa.DRB

                          Grognard (definition 1)
                          My better half and me
                        • Martijn Verburg
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 11, 2009
                            Your function looks like it doesn't have the correct number of closing brackets. Throw an alert("me!"); call in the first line of the function to make sure it's being called.

                            Message 13 of 18 , May 11, 2009
                              Fixed the }'s and added the alert("Me!"). The alert is not being called.
                              Tried via Print Preview and Exporting. What is showing up in the
                              exported file is:

                              Shouldn't that call the function? Am I missing a setting?

                              David
                              Papa.DRB

                              Grognard (definition 1)
                              My better half and me

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 1, 2009
                                Hi David,

                                Send me the files directly, I'll take a look.

                                Message 15 of 18 , Jun 1, 2009
                                  I finally figured it out.

                                  Started with a one line procedure (the alert), and then added one line
                                  at a time. Turns out the } else { borked it along with me not understand
                                  where semi-colons should be placed, but I finally got it working the way
                                  I want. Thanks for the offer of help.

                                  David
                                  Papa.DRB

                                  Grognard (definition 1)