Variable with text value

  • Susan Dittmar
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 16, 2009
      Hi folks,

      is there a way to fill a variable with a *text* that can be used throughout
      a character? In this case, I would like to fill this variable in a race
      line, then use the variable in an ability. Is there a way to do so?

      Problem is, this variable can take on a HUGE number of values. I would
      like to restrict the number of places where I would have to add another of
      those to *one*. This means, I do *not* want to create a copy of the ability
      for each of the possible values of this variable. The variable's value
      would only be needed for the DESC text, so I hope it's feasible.

      Unfortunately I'm dealing with closed content. In case more information is
      needed for a solution, please ask.

      Thanks in advance,

      Susan

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 16, 2009
        Hi Susan,

        The answer is a limited yes. You need to look at the DESC tag for the substitutions you can do. You'd need an ability for each one IIRC (Well for the name you want).

        Email me directly and I'll be able to help more if that explanation doesn't explain it better. (I'm at work so answers will be more sporadic, 9-1-1 callers never like schedules :P )

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 16, 2009
          I think you want DESC's %CHOICE substitution and a CHOOSE with the
          stored names. Similar to what we have in 3.0 Ranger abilities?

        • Susan Dittmar
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 16, 2009
            Hi Tir,

            > I think you want DESC's %CHOICE substitution and a CHOOSE with the
            > stored names. Similar to what we have in 3.0 Ranger abilities?

            I will have a look at it this week-end. But I think this won't do what I
            wanted (though I might still be able to go another path and make it work --
            I got some ideas since writing my last post).

            If I understand correctly, this CHOOSE/%CHOICE stuff only works within
            *one* object. What I meant to ask for is a way to save the choice made in
            one object for refrence from another object. Or, to be more precice,
            have the chooser as part of a race and then using the choice in an ability.
            And this without having to code 1000+ abililities!
            (This number may seem big, but as the ability can refer to a *list* of
            spells, it might even be too low!)

            Thanks nevertheless for your hint,

            Susan

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 16, 2009
              Hi Susan,

              Email the issue direct please. (drew0500 at Yahoo dot com)

              I'll take a look and see what we can work out for you.