Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: Trying to get started again

  • Eddy Anthony
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 5, 2009
      Hi Andrew, ainvarg

      I think the problem is that Barak's script does not convert SA tags that
      use .CLEAR, so ainvarg is asking how to use PREVAR to fix that like he
      did previously.

      So here is the deal: .CLEAR is a problem for SA tags specifically when
      used in class lines to clear something from a lower class line. I might
      be wrong but I don't think it's a problem to use .CLEAR with SAB when
      you are .MODing an object.

      That said it may be that you don't even need to do this depending on
      what version you are using and what data you are .MODing. In the 5.14.1
      RSRD Data there is no SA:Sneak Attack to clear, the tag used there is
      "SAB:Sneak Attack +%d%|SneakAttack|SneakAttackDie" which is close to
      what you appear to be MODing in. This is moot if you are MODing
      different data but double check the original object. If you can use
      SAB:.CLEAR.x then "x" needs to exactly match the original.

      Also keep in mind that once we get 5.16 out the SAB tags in the core
      data are gone, having all been converted into visible ability objects.

      --
      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      ~ PCGen Board of Directors
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 5, 2009
        Hello Andrew & Eddy, thanks for responding

        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@...> wrote:

        > Hi Andrew, ainvarg
        >
        > I think the problem is that Barak's script does not convert SA tags that
        > use .CLEAR, so ainvarg is asking how to use PREVAR to fix that like he
        > did previously.

        That's precisely where I was coming from.

        > So here is the deal: .CLEAR is a problem for SA tags specifically when
        > used in class lines to clear something from a lower class line. I might
        > be wrong but I don't think it's a problem to use .CLEAR with SAB when
        > you are .MODing an object.

        OK, I knew this looked like a different case, so that's not a big surprise.

        > That said it may be that you don't even need to do this depending on
        > what version you are using and what data you are .MODing. In the 5.14.1
        > RSRD Data there is no SA:Sneak Attack to clear, the tag used there is
        > "SAB:Sneak Attack +%d%|SneakAttack|SneakAttackDie" which is close to
        > what you appear to be MODing in. This is moot if you are MODing
        > different data but double check the original object. If you can use
        > SAB:.CLEAR.x then "x" needs to exactly match the original.

        This is actually 5.12.1 code that I'm bringing forward using Barak's script. This particular code is alpha from 5.12.1 and likely not a necessary exercise, but it's an opportunity for me to learn without anyone being bent out of shape because I spoke of restricted code -- because this isn't. Eventually, I will be doing this on my CMP datasets. I assume my freedom in discussing them will be somewhat curtailed - or I will need to be creative in my questions.

        > Also keep in mind that once we get 5.16 out the SAB tags in the core
        > data are gone, having all been converted into visible ability objects.

        Thanks for the information - I don't know what a "visible ability object" is, but I'm sure I'm going to find out.

        Thanks for the help!

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 5, 2009
          Catching the last item here:

          We have abilities that display much like a feat, complete with
          descriptions under the headings of SPECIAL ATTACK or SPECIAL QUALITIES
          on the OS [Output Sheet] (Use the TYPE:SpecialAttack.SpecialQuality to
          get them to display).

          With the advent of these, we've phased out most uses of the SAB tags.
          They are still in use in the older sets that haven't been tackled with
          the upgrade. I say upgrade cause we take the SAB tag out of the class,
          replace it with an ability call and then set up the new ability. A bit
          more work but worth the pay off.

          Key difference between SAB and Ability using DESC is the smart
          substitution - % vs. %x (with x being a numerical ordering). And of
          course you know what ability is being referenced instead of just a
          descriptive line.