Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: Trying to get started again

  • Eddy Anthony
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 4, 2009
      ainvarg scribed:

      > OK, looking at the manual changes that need to be done and find the SA:CLEAR
      > token is no more. To verify that I'm understanding this, here is some before
      > and after.
      >
      > After running the script:
      >
      > 2<tab>SAB:Shield Brother (full round action)<tab>VFEAT:Combat Expertise
      > 4<tab>SA:.CLEAR.Shield Brother (full round action)<tab>SAB:Shield Brother
      > (standard action)
      >
      > Am I correct in understanding that one way of correcting this would be:
      >
      > 2<tab>SAB:Shield Brother (full round action)|PREVARLT:CL,4<tab>VFEAT:Combat
      > Expertise
      > 4<tab>SAB:Shield Brother (standard action)

      You got it, that's exactly the way to do it.
      --
      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      ~ PCGen Board of Directors
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 4, 2009
        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@...> wrote:

        > ainvarg scribed:
        >
        > > OK, looking at the manual changes that need to be done and find the SA:CLEAR
        > > token is no more. To verify that I'm understanding this, here is some before
        > > and after.
        > >
        > > After running the script:
        > >
        > > 2<tab>SAB:Shield Brother (full round action)<tab>VFEAT:Combat Expertise
        > > 4<tab>SA:.CLEAR.Shield Brother (full round action)<tab>SAB:Shield Brother
        > > (standard action)
        > >
        > > Am I correct in understanding that one way of correcting this would be:
        > >
        > > 2<tab>SAB:Shield Brother (full round action)|PREVARLT:CL,4<tab>VFEAT:Combat
        > > Expertise
        > > 4<tab>SAB:Shield Brother (standard action)
        >
        > You got it, that's exactly the way to do it.
        > --
        > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        > ~ PCGen Board of Directors
        > ~ Content Silverback, Chair Second

        Sweet! The response time on this list is amazing. Thanks, Eddy. (And I'm a little fearful to admit that I got it right because it actually made sense on first read. That used to always be a sure sign I've got it wrong.)
      • Barak
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 4, 2009
          > Am I correct in understanding that one way of correcting this would be:
          >
          > 2<tab>SAB:Shield Brother (full round
          > action)|PREVARLT:CL,4<tab>VFEAT:Combat Expertise
          > 4<tab>SAB:Shield Brother (standard action)

          Yep, that's the way.

          > Thanks for the help and may I say, "Wow!" That script is slick, Barak!

          Heh. Glad people are finding it useful. :)

          Barak
        • ainvarg
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 4, 2009
            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Barak" <barak@...> wrote:

> [...]
            Here's another one. I'm not sure what the PREVAR is going to be here.

            (These are from Alpha sources, not from permissioned datasets, if that matters.)
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 5, 2009

              Not understanding the question... PREVAR is a PRExxx tag. Can you
              elaborate or clarify your question please. The code looks fine as is.
              You are modding the existing Sneak Attack, so only the tags you've
              changed will be affected.

              -Andrew

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 5, 2009
                Hi Andrew, ainvarg

                I think the problem is that Barak's script does not convert SA tags that
                use .CLEAR, so ainvarg is asking how to use PREVAR to fix that like he
                did previously.

                So here is the deal: .CLEAR is a problem for SA tags specifically when
                used in class lines to clear something from a lower class line. I might
                be wrong but I don't think it's a problem to use .CLEAR with SAB when
                you are .MODing an object.

                That said it may be that you don't even need to do this depending on
                what version you are using and what data you are .MODing. In the 5.14.1
                RSRD Data there is no SA:Sneak Attack to clear, the tag used there is
                "SAB:Sneak Attack +%d%|SneakAttack|SneakAttackDie" which is close to
                what you appear to be MODing in. This is moot if you are MODing
                different data but double check the original object. If you can use
                SAB:.CLEAR.x then "x" needs to exactly match the original.

                Also keep in mind that once we get 5.16 out the SAB tags in the core
                data are gone, having all been converted into visible ability objects.

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 5, 2009
                  Hello Andrew & Eddy, thanks for responding

                  --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Andrew, ainvarg
                  >
                  > I think the problem is that Barak's script does not convert SA tags that
                  > use .CLEAR, so ainvarg is asking how to use PREVAR to fix that like he
                  > did previously.

                  That's precisely where I was coming from.

                  > So here is the deal: .CLEAR is a problem for SA tags specifically when
                  > used in class lines to clear something from a lower class line. I might
                  > be wrong but I don't think it's a problem to use .CLEAR with SAB when
                  > you are .MODing an object.

                  OK, I knew this looked like a different case, so that's not a big surprise.

                  > That said it may be that you don't even need to do this depending on
                  > what version you are using and what data you are .MODing. In the 5.14.1
                  > RSRD Data there is no SA:Sneak Attack to clear, the tag used there is
                  > "SAB:Sneak Attack +%d%|SneakAttack|SneakAttackDie" which is close to
                  > what you appear to be MODing in. This is moot if you are MODing
                  > different data but double check the original object. If you can use
                  > SAB:.CLEAR.x then "x" needs to exactly match the original.

                  This is actually 5.12.1 code that I'm bringing forward using Barak's script. This particular code is alpha from 5.12.1 and likely not a necessary exercise, but it's an opportunity for me to learn without anyone being bent out of shape because I spoke of restricted code -- because this isn't. Eventually, I will be doing this on my CMP datasets. I assume my freedom in discussing them will be somewhat curtailed - or I will need to be creative in my questions.

                  > Also keep in mind that once we get 5.16 out the SAB tags in the core
                  > data are gone, having all been converted into visible ability objects.

                  Thanks for the information - I don't know what a "visible ability object" is, but I'm sure I'm going to find out.

                  Thanks for the help!

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 5, 2009
                    Catching the last item here:

                    We have abilities that display much like a feat, complete with
                    descriptions under the headings of SPECIAL ATTACK or SPECIAL QUALITIES
                    on the OS [Output Sheet] (Use the TYPE:SpecialAttack.SpecialQuality to
                    get them to display).

                    With the advent of these, we've phased out most uses of the SAB tags.
                    They are still in use in the older sets that haven't been tackled with
                    the upgrade. I say upgrade cause we take the SAB tag out of the class,
                    replace it with an ability call and then set up the new ability. A bit
                    more work but worth the pay off.

                    Key difference between SAB and Ability using DESC is the smart
                    substitution - % vs. %x (with x being a numerical ordering). And of
                    course you know what ability is being referenced instead of just a
                    descriptive line.