Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Trying to get started again

  • David R. Bender
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 4, 2009
      Download Barak's dataset converter from 5.12 to 5.14. Here is the link:

      (2nd one in the list)

      After that there is a built in converter in the newer levels...

      David
      Papa.DRB

      Grognard <http://home.hvc.rr.com/davidstuff/Grognard.html>
      My better half and me
      <http://home.hvc.rr.com/davidstuff/Nana-and-Papa2.JPG>

      ainvarg wrote:
      > Hello, all. I'm curious if there is a document anywhere that I could use to update CMP-purchased data sets (which I believe were compatible with 5.12.x when released) to work with 5.14.1.
      >
      > I'm not expecting a blow-by-blow of what needs to change, but I'm guessing someone has a "release notes" type document about what has been changed in the .lst syntax.
      >
      > I did copy the datasets into the 5.14.1 folders to see what, if anything, blew up, but now I have a bit of time to actually clean up if necessary. (I didn't notice any catastrophic errors.)
      >
      > Thanks in advance!

    • Tom Parker
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 4, 2009
        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "ainvarg" <ainvarg@...> wrote:
        > Hello, all. I'm curious if there is a document anywhere that I could use to update CMP-purchased data sets (which I believe were compatible with 5.12.x when released) to work with 5.14.1.

        If you load into 5.14.1 without any deprecation messages (if you have turned them off, you will have to make sure they are enabled in the preferences under "PCGen" // "Input"), then you have 5.14.1 compatible data. They did do a release for 5.14.1, I think, but it was only available for a short period of time.

        If you do get deprecation messages, then you have the 5.12 (or earlier) data, and can use a conversion script written by Barak. Go to the Yahoo! page for this group, select "Files" from the navigation list on the left, and then go into the "Misc" folder. You should see a file called "5.12 to 5.14 Conversion_v085.zip"

        This will convert the vast majority of what needs to be converted. (Long story short, most of the CMP usage was "well formed" and could be automated). There may be a few remaining issues, which will be presented to you as errors or deprecation messages. It is probably beneficial to clean these up, including the deprecation messages... as a clean 5.14.1 dataset can be automatically converted to 5.16 (once released) by a tool provided with the PCGen 5.16 release (currently at 5.15.14 beta on our way to 5.16).

        Another source for the token changes is on our Wiki: http://www.pcgen-test.org/wiki/index.php?title=Token_Change_Proposals_for_5.13_Alpha

        Any questions or problems, post again and we'll be happy to help out.

        TP.
      • ainvarg
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 4, 2009
          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "David R. Bender" <Papa.DRB@...> wrote:

          > Download Barak's dataset converter from 5.12 to 5.14. Here is the link:

          > (2nd one in the list)
          >
          > After that there is a built in converter in the newer levels...
          >
          > David
          > Papa.DRB
          >
          > Grognard <http://home.hvc.rr.com/davidstuff/Grognard.html>
          > My better half and me
          > <http://home.hvc.rr.com/davidstuff/Nana-and-Papa2.JPG>
          >

          > ainvarg wrote:
          > > Hello, all. I'm curious if there is a document anywhere that I could use to update CMP-purchased data sets (which I believe were compatible with 5.12.x when released) to work with 5.14.1.
          > >
          > > I'm not expecting a blow-by-blow of what needs to change, but I'm guessing someone has a "release notes" type document about what has been changed in the .lst syntax.
          > >
          > > I did copy the datasets into the 5.14.1 folders to see what, if anything, blew up, but now I have a bit of time to actually clean up if necessary. (I didn't notice any catastrophic errors.)
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance!

          Thanks, Papa! Haven't seen your name since I stopped browsing CMP's forums!
        • ainvarg
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 4, 2009
            OK, looking at the manual changes that need to be done and find the SA:CLEAR token is no more. To verify that I'm understanding this, here is some before and after.

            After running the script:

            2<tab>SAB:Shield Brother (full round action)<tab>VFEAT:Combat Expertise
            4<tab>SA:.CLEAR.Shield Brother (full round action)<tab>SAB:Shield Brother (standard action)

            Am I correct in understanding that one way of correcting this would be:

            2<tab>SAB:Shield Brother (full round action)|PREVARLT:CL,4<tab>VFEAT:Combat Expertise
            4<tab>SAB:Shield Brother (standard action)

            ??

            Thanks for the help and may I say, "Wow!" That script is slick, Barak!
          • Eddy Anthony
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 4, 2009
              ainvarg scribed:

              > OK, looking at the manual changes that need to be done and find the SA:CLEAR
              > token is no more. To verify that I'm understanding this, here is some before
              > and after.
              >
              > After running the script:
              >
              > 2<tab>SAB:Shield Brother (full round action)<tab>VFEAT:Combat Expertise
              > 4<tab>SA:.CLEAR.Shield Brother (full round action)<tab>SAB:Shield Brother
              > (standard action)
              >
              > Am I correct in understanding that one way of correcting this would be:
              >
              > 2<tab>SAB:Shield Brother (full round action)|PREVARLT:CL,4<tab>VFEAT:Combat
              > Expertise
              > 4<tab>SAB:Shield Brother (standard action)

              You got it, that's exactly the way to do it.
              --
              ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
              ~ PCGen Board of Directors
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 4, 2009
                --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@...> wrote:

                > ainvarg scribed:
                >
                > > OK, looking at the manual changes that need to be done and find the SA:CLEAR
                > > token is no more. To verify that I'm understanding this, here is some before
                > > and after.
                > >
                > > After running the script:
                > >
                > > 2<tab>SAB:Shield Brother (full round action)<tab>VFEAT:Combat Expertise
                > > 4<tab>SA:.CLEAR.Shield Brother (full round action)<tab>SAB:Shield Brother
                > > (standard action)
                > >
                > > Am I correct in understanding that one way of correcting this would be:
                > >
                > > 2<tab>SAB:Shield Brother (full round action)|PREVARLT:CL,4<tab>VFEAT:Combat
                > > Expertise
                > > 4<tab>SAB:Shield Brother (standard action)
                >
                > You got it, that's exactly the way to do it.
                > --
                > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                > ~ PCGen Board of Directors
                > ~ Content Silverback, Chair Second

                Sweet! The response time on this list is amazing. Thanks, Eddy. (And I'm a little fearful to admit that I got it right because it actually made sense on first read. That used to always be a sure sign I've got it wrong.)
              • Barak
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 4, 2009

                  Yep, that's the way.

                  > Thanks for the help and may I say, "Wow!" That script is slick, Barak!

                  Heh. Glad people are finding it useful. :)

                  Barak
                • ainvarg
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 4, 2009
                    --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Barak" <barak@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    Here's another one. I'm not sure what the PREVAR is going to be here.

                    (These are from Alpha sources, not from permissioned datasets, if that matters.)
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 5, 2009
                      Hi,

                      Not understanding the question... PREVAR is a PRExxx tag. Can you
                      elaborate or clarify your question please. The code looks fine as is.
                      You are modding the existing Sneak Attack, so only the tags you've
                      changed will be affected.

                      -Andrew

                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 5, 2009
                        Hi Andrew, ainvarg

                        I think the problem is that Barak's script does not convert SA tags that
                        use .CLEAR, so ainvarg is asking how to use PREVAR to fix that like he
                        did previously.

                        So here is the deal: .CLEAR is a problem for SA tags specifically when
                        used in class lines to clear something from a lower class line. I might
                        be wrong but I don't think it's a problem to use .CLEAR with SAB when
                        you are .MODing an object.

                        That said it may be that you don't even need to do this depending on
                        what version you are using and what data you are .MODing. In the 5.14.1
                        RSRD Data there is no SA:Sneak Attack to clear, the tag used there is
                        "SAB:Sneak Attack +%d%|SneakAttack|SneakAttackDie" which is close to
                        what you appear to be MODing in. This is moot if you are MODing
                        different data but double check the original object. If you can use
                        SAB:.CLEAR.x then "x" needs to exactly match the original.

                        Also keep in mind that once we get 5.16 out the SAB tags in the core
                        data are gone, having all been converted into visible ability objects.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 5, 2009
                          Hello Andrew & Eddy, thanks for responding

                          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Andrew, ainvarg
                          >
                          > I think the problem is that Barak's script does not convert SA tags that
                          > use .CLEAR, so ainvarg is asking how to use PREVAR to fix that like he
                          > did previously.

                          That's precisely where I was coming from.

                          > So here is the deal: .CLEAR is a problem for SA tags specifically when
                          > used in class lines to clear something from a lower class line. I might
                          > be wrong but I don't think it's a problem to use .CLEAR with SAB when
                          > you are .MODing an object.

                          OK, I knew this looked like a different case, so that's not a big surprise.

                          > That said it may be that you don't even need to do this depending on
                          > what version you are using and what data you are .MODing. In the 5.14.1
                          > RSRD Data there is no SA:Sneak Attack to clear, the tag used there is
                          > "SAB:Sneak Attack +%d%|SneakAttack|SneakAttackDie" which is close to
                          > what you appear to be MODing in. This is moot if you are MODing
                          > different data but double check the original object. If you can use
                          > SAB:.CLEAR.x then "x" needs to exactly match the original.

                          This is actually 5.12.1 code that I'm bringing forward using Barak's script. This particular code is alpha from 5.12.1 and likely not a necessary exercise, but it's an opportunity for me to learn without anyone being bent out of shape because I spoke of restricted code -- because this isn't. Eventually, I will be doing this on my CMP datasets. I assume my freedom in discussing them will be somewhat curtailed - or I will need to be creative in my questions.

                          > Also keep in mind that once we get 5.16 out the SAB tags in the core
                          > data are gone, having all been converted into visible ability objects.

                          Thanks for the information - I don't know what a "visible ability object" is, but I'm sure I'm going to find out.

                          Thanks for the help!

                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 5, 2009
                            Catching the last item here:

                            We have abilities that display much like a feat, complete with
                            descriptions under the headings of SPECIAL ATTACK or SPECIAL QUALITIES
                            on the OS [Output Sheet] (Use the TYPE:SpecialAttack.SpecialQuality to
                            get them to display).

                            With the advent of these, we've phased out most uses of the SAB tags.
                            They are still in use in the older sets that haven't been tackled with
                            the upgrade. I say upgrade cause we take the SAB tag out of the class,
                            replace it with an ability call and then set up the new ability. A bit
                            more work but worth the pay off.

                            Key difference between SAB and Ability using DESC is the smart
                            substitution - % vs. %x (with x being a numerical ordering). And of
                            course you know what ability is being referenced instead of just a
                            descriptive line.