How to assign aberration feats?

  • dloyer4
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2009
      D20 Modern

      Aberrations are listed as receiving a bonus feat of either Simple
      Weapons Proficiency or Archaic Weapons Proficiency (along with a
      possible bonus feat for armor...if the creature usually wears armor).
      How do I assign this proficiency bonus feat so that when viewing the
      creature's feats by Category/Name, the feat is assigned to the
      aberration proficiency category?

      Thanks,
      Dennis
    • Eddy Anthony
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2009
        dloyer4 scribed:

        > D20 Modern
        >
        > Aberrations are listed as receiving a bonus feat of either Simple
        > Weapons Proficiency or Archaic Weapons Proficiency (along with a
        > possible bonus feat for armor...if the creature usually wears armor).
        > How do I assign this proficiency bonus feat so that when viewing the
        > creature's feats by Category/Name, the feat is assigned to the
        > aberration proficiency category?

        Any Aberration you make should have a pool appear on the feats tab named
        "Aberration Proficiency" which will let you add one of the two feats you
        named above.

        To assign this choice from a kit you use:

        ABILITY:CATEGORY=Aberration Proficiency|Simple Weapons Proficiency
        --
        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        ~ PCGen Board of Directors
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 2, 2009
          This didn't seem to work as expected. The Simple Weapons Proficiency
          feat appears under the list of feats the creature has selected, but it
          does not appear to have been taken from the Aberration Proficiency
          category. In fact there's no difference in the results from doing it
          this way from doing it with FEAT:Simple Weapons Proficiency.

          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@...>

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 2, 2009
            Hi Dennis,

            The Feats and Abilities aren't separated on the OS, where they show
            differently is in the tabs. The main idea of the OS is to show what
            Feats and Abilities you do have, unfortunately getting higher detail on
            the OS requires a lot more work.

            Abilities we've made show up as either Special Qualities or Special
            Attacks on the OS, other variants have Mutations showing up as it's own
            Block. Getting it to sort by 'group' would require some effort. You also
            have one block that remains "Special Abilities" which only puts things
            from the SAB tag.

            If you'd like this type of functionality, it is usually "easier" to mess
            around with the OS sheets yourself, and if you get something that looks
            nice, then you can submit it. I say easier because we just don't have
            many OS Monkeys free to do any work.

            Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 2, 2009
              Just to be clear, when you refer to OS, you mean the Character Sheet
              or Preview page? Or do you mean the PCGen interface with the Summary
              tab, Race tab, Class tab, etc.?

              I'm referring to the PCGen interface screen and the Feats tab. If this
              is what you're referring to, I wasn't aware this could be modified by
              a user...where can I find info on that?

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 2, 2009
                Sounds like it's getting the feat from somewhere else. If you take those
                tags out of the kit entirely does it go away? What you should then see
                in the Feats tab is an empty pool for Aberration Proficiency which you
                should be able to manually add Simple Weapons Proficiency. If you can't
                because it's already added to the general feat pool it must be coming
                from the race or some other object.
                -Eddy

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 2, 2009
                  To be clear, I'm looking at the Feats & Abilities tab in the standrd
                  PCGen interface. On the left is a list of available feats displayed by
                  Type/Name, on the right is a list of assigned feats displayed by
                  Category/Name

                  I tried you test...

                  Removing the line from the kit.lst removes the feat from the list on
                  the right. The feat is still an available feat in the list on the
                  left, but has not been "taken" by the creature. If I add the line back
                  into the kit.lst the feat appears on the right in the general feat
                  pool, not in the aberration proficiency pool

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 2, 2009
                    OK, just tried it out and I've replicated what you are seeing. Looks
                    like you found a bug of some sort, I'll investigate and open a tracker.
                    Thanks for your persistence.
                    -Eddy

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 2, 2009
                      I've trackered this problem:
                      [ 2655716 ] ABILITY Kit tag broken
                      https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2655716&group_id=25576&atid=384719

                      Thanks again, it's a great help to us when our user identify a problem.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 2, 2009
                        Hi Dennis,

                        I thought you referring to the OS - Output Sheet, which the preview tab
                        and character tab mimic.

                        Yes, you can add different groups easily. You need to read up on
                        ABILITYCATEGORY

                        ABILITYCATEGORY:Fighter Feat <> TYPE:Fighter <> CATEGORY:FEAT <<>
                        VISIBLE:QUALIFY

                        That's a shortened example. That will create an group called Fighter Feat.

                        Looks like Eddy has found a bug from your persistence... Keep up the
                        good work. Just to let you know, James has fixed the Kit not apply
                        skills bug. So the latest autobuild 'should' have that fix.

                        Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin