!PREABILTY not needed?

  • Michael W. Fender
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2009
      OK, just caught a recent update to the docs and saw this:

      "Enclosing and ability specified, by name or type, in square brackets ([z]) is
      used to identify abilities that the character must not have.

      PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,Wild Shape(Small Plant),Wild
      Shape(Medium Plant),[Wild Shape(Large Plant)]

      Requires the character has either "Wild Shape(Small Plant)" or "Wild
      Shape(Medium Plant)" but does not have "Wild Shape(Large Plant)"."

      Question: Why would this be preferable to:
      PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,Wild Shape(Small Plant),Wild
      Shape(Medium Plant)
      !PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,Wild Shape(Large Plant)

      I'm sorry if I missed something, but it's just kinda puzzling.
      --
      Fluxxdog

      think.
    • Barak
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2009
        > Question: Why would this be preferable to:

        Brevity.

        Barak
      • Michael W. Fender
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2009
          Accessing archive from "Barak"...
          Archive found in file

          OK.

          Couple more questions:
          How does this work with PREMULT? Can you:
          PREMULT:1,[PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Foo,Blah,Bar,[Snaf]],[PREFEAT:1,Wowzers]

          Can PREFEAT use it since ABILITY and FEAT are so close now?

          Can any other PRExxx tag use this?

          (PS: If you're wondering why I'm asking like this, these are questions that
          could arise. Might as well ask them now.)
          --
          Fluxxdog

          think.
        • Tom Parker
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1, 2009
            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Michael W. Fender"
            <fluxxdog@...> wrote:
            > Couple more questions:
            > How does this work with PREMULT? Can you:

            PREMULT:1,[PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Foo,Blah,Bar,[Snaf]],[PREFEAT:1,Wowzers]

            > Can PREFEAT use it since ABILITY and FEAT are so close now?

            PREFEAT had it first, that's where Tir got the idea.

            > Can any other PRExxx tag use this?

            Yes, I think PRERACE does this too. I don't know of others.

            TP.
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 1, 2009
              > Can any other PRExxx tag use this?

              PRERACE and PREFEAT were the only two I know of 'historically'.
              PREABILITY nicely has the same big as PREFEAT. Those are in the doc
              entries of the tags. :)