Re: .lst help or PCGen settings help...not sure which

  • dloyer4
    Message 1 of 35 , Mar 1, 2009
      I guess I still have some questions regarding feats and the default
      kit.lst

      When I read the documentation for the ABILITY tag I get the feeling
      that FEAT, VFEAT and FEATAUTO are being phased out in favor of the
      ABILITY tag, and It says the line should take the form of

      So I should be using ABILITY to add the feats to a default kit? Or do
      I use FEAT?

      Here's an issue that's coming up.

      The Advanced Displacer Beast (A larger version of the regular
      Displacer Beast) has a 3rd feat called Multiattack. This feat requires
      more than 2 hands...well the creature has tentacles not hands. So I
      would need to either use VFEAT to add the feat regardless of
      prerequisits, or I would use ABILITY:CATEGORY=FEAT|VIRTUAL|Multiattack

      Either way I get an error during the reference source load process.
      With the first method, I get

      LSTERROR Unsure what to do with line with prefix: VFEAT

      With the second method, I get

      SEVERE Unconstructed Reference: Ability Feat VIRTUAL

      Using the FEAT VFEAT method, the advanced displacer beast loads, but
      on the original 2 feats are listed, the 3rd virtual feat, Multiattack,
      is not listed as one of the creature's feats.

      Using the ABILITY Method to add the three feats, when I select the
      Displacer Beast (Advanced) in the Add Kit window, I get a window
      asking me to select a feat...the feats listed are Dodge() and
      NORMAL()....in order to let this go through to a conclusion, I select
      Dodge() and ADD and then Close. A second window comes up asking me to
      select a feat and giving me a choice between Alertness() and NORMAL().
      I select Alertness, click on ADD and then Close. I get a 3rd and final
      windows that says The following warnings were encountered and gives
      these three messages
      ABILITY: Not enough Feats available to take "1 of NORMAL; Dodge"
      ABILITY: Not enough Feats available to take "1 of NORMAL; Alertness"
      ABILITY: Not enough Feats available to take "1 of VIRTUAL;
      Multiattack"

      At this point, I suspect that either I shouldn't be using ABILITY to
      add feats (in which case, why isn't the VFEAT tag working?), or that I
      have the syntax incorrect....yet I believe I followed what the syntax
      detailed in the docs.

      I thought I was getting a grasp on things, but I'm starting to feel
      more and more lost....

      <drew0500@...> wrote:

      > Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin
      >

      > In a KIT
      > FEAT:Dodge
      >
      > Will purchase the Feat 'Dodge' for the 1 point in the pool. So, yes.
      >
      > VFEAT: Grants a 'feat' without requiring the PREREQs. Useful for
      classes
      > such as Monk who are granted feats for being Monks, even if they
      > wouldn't meet the prereqs normally. I shall note, VFEAT was used in
      the
      > old days to grant special abilities. But that practice is
      discontinued
      > since we have the ABILITY tag. For official releases, Feats are
      strictly
      > in feat files, everything else, including abilities, are made in
      ability
      > files.
      > ABILITY:Special Ability|VIRTUAL - Grants abilities that the
      character
      > might not meet prereqs.

    • Eddy Anthony
      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 6, 2009
        Eddy Anthony scribed:

        >>> I found out that this idea doesn't work, this tag seems to ignore PRE tags.
        >>
        >> Please file a bug against that... it should work.

        Opps, I totally posted the wrong link that last post, here is the tracker I
        meant to reference:
        [ 2670164 ] BONUS:LANG|BONUS|x ignores PRE tags
        https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=384719&aid=2670164&group_i
        d=25576
        --
        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)