Re: .lst help or PCGen settings help...not sure which

  • dloyer4
    Message 1 of 35 , Feb 26, 2009
      OK, I added the KIT line to the race entry. And nothing changed.

      However, now when I load the source material containing my custom
      data, the Load Data Files window is showing a couple of errors:

      SEVERE Error parsing file <my default monster kit.lst> line <x>:null

      I'm getting this error for every odd line number starting with line
      3...so, line 3, 5, 7, 9...etc

      I've created a folder called Dennis Loyer in the LST Trouble folder
      that contains both the race.lst and the default monster kit.lst I
      created.

      Not sure what I did wrong, but I must have done something to get those
      errors...

      Dennis

      <drew0500@...> wrote:

      > Hi Dennis,
      >
      > dloyer4 wrote:
      > > I've used PCGen as a player, but I'm new to using it as a GM. The
      > > campaign I want to run has some custom details as well as uses
      some
      > > stuff in the core books that's not in the SRD, so I'm following
      the
      > > classes in the documentation to hopefully learn how to modify the
      data
      > > for my own campaign. I'm starting out by creating a creature entry
      for
      > > the Displacer Beast as detailed in the D20 Modern Core Rule Book.
      > >
      > > I had some issues with the first iteration as I described in an
      > > earlier message...problems that would hopefully be solved by
      moving
      > > away from a Default Monster Setting towards the Default Monster
      Kit
      > > that is the preferred method to use now.
      > >
      > > That seems to have worked, but I'm running into something I think
      is
      > > odd behavior and I can't figure out if it's caused by my home-
      grown
      > > .lst files or a preference setting in PCGen.
      > >
      > > To test that all the data in my creature is correct, I load my
      custom
      > > data, open GMGen, click on the encounter tab, add my new
      > > creature...the Displacer Beast in this case...and click on Start
      > > Combat.
      > >
      > > Two differences between the Default Monster Setting and the
      > > Monster Kit are happening
      > >
      > > 1st, A number of pop-ups equaling the creatures monster level
      > > appearing in sequence asking me to enter a random number. Once
      I've
      > > gone through all the pop-ups a final pop-up appears saying I will
      now
      > > be returned to PCGen so that I can finalize my selected
      combatants.
      > > This only happens when using the Default Monster Kit, when using
      the
      > > Default Monster Setting, the Hit Points were figured automatically
      and
      > > all I saw was the final pop-up taking me back to PCGen
      > >

      > That would be a setting for the HP. You can turn that off if you
      desire.
      > > 2nd, The Class skills for the creature are listed correctly, but
      no
      > > ranks have been assigned. Instead, I have to spend skill points
      like I
      > > would when creating a character. This also only occurred when
      using
      > > the Default Monster Kit. When Using the Default Monster Setting,
      the
      > > skill ranks were already assigned. The current behavior seems odd
      > > me since my .lst file clearly states what the skill ranks should
      be.

      > Let's make sure we have these steps:
      > The Kit File needs to be applied to the monster
      > The kit must have the skills with ranks assigned
      >
      > STARTPACK:Default Monster Beast
      > etc.
      > SKILL:Climb <tab> RANK:3
      > SKILL:Swim <tab> RANK:x
      >
      > etc.
      >
      > Kit is where the behind the scenes magic happens, you can assign
      skill
      > ranks, feats, abilities and even equipment using a kit.
      >
      > If you have a Kit already set up, then you need to either add it, or
      > have the race grab it.
      >
      > Kit button on the bar to add it manually or on the race line it is
      as
      > simple as 'KIT:1|Default Monster Kit'
      > Using the correct name in place of 'Default Monster Kit' - That
      would
      > be the startpack name you assign the kit in the kit file.
      >
      > > The problem is, I don't know if these behaviors I'm seeing are
      because
      > > I'm missing some tags in either my .lst files, or if there's a
      setting
      > > in PCGen that's changed. I can upload each .lst file if needed,
      > > they're not large, they only contain the data for the one creature
      so
      > > far.
      > >

      > Recap - 1st is a setting, 2nd is making sure the kit is being
      applied,
      > and you have it set up properly.
      > > Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Dennis
      > >

      > Your welcome,
      >
      > Andrew

    • Eddy Anthony
      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 6, 2009
        Eddy Anthony scribed:

        >>> I found out that this idea doesn't work, this tag seems to ignore PRE tags.
        >>
        >> Please file a bug against that... it should work.

        Opps, I totally posted the wrong link that last post, here is the tracker I
        meant to reference:
        [ 2670164 ] BONUS:LANG|BONUS|x ignores PRE tags
        https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=384719&aid=2670164&group_i
        d=25576
        --
        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)