Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Modding ABILITYCATEGORYs

  • Eddy Anthony
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 8, 2009
      Michael W. Fender scribed:

      >>> The basic premise is to allow a new TYPE of feat for the Wizard Feat
      >>> pool. And before you say "Well, just put TYPE:Wizard in the feat",
      >>> there's a very good reason why I don't want to do that.
      >>
      >> OK, but what is it?
      >
      > The class this is going for is allowed a choice of bonuses feats limited to
      > Wizards feats, but none of the broad categories. For example, ItemCreation,
      > Metamagic, or (from Complete Mage) Reserve feats are not allowable choices. In
      > other words, TYPE:Wizard.

      So you are trying to MOD the Wizard Feat pool to remove
      TYPE:ItemCreation.Metamagic from it?

      Doesn't seem the right way to go, why no just make a new pool for this class
      that is JUST TYPE:Wizard?

      If you are MODing the Wizard class for a campaign setting of something you
      can use negative numbers in BONUS:ABILITYPOOL so it won't get the standard
      pool and then add the replacement pool.

      > Honestly, this also brings up the issue of the
      > redundancy of labeling Brew Potion (and other such feats) as both an
      > ItemCreation and Wizard feat since the ABILITYCATEGORY already defines those
      > types as inclusive, but that's for another day ^^

      Probably it was to make the ADD:FEAT tag we used to use for that short and
      sweet.

      >> Offhand that looks like the easiest way to go. I take
      >> it you tried MODing ABILITYCATEGORY and it didn't work?
      >
      > No, I hadn't. I went to make sure it was allowable first, since I've been
      > told "If it's not in the docs, it shouldn't work" and since I didn't see
      > mention in the docs, I figured I'd ask. And for the record, when I try this
      > line:
      >
      > ABILITYCATEGORY:Wizard Feat.MOD TYPE:Fighter
      >
      > ...I get this error:
      >
      > LSTERROR TYPE is not valid in 'parent' category Wizard Feat.MOD of
      > file:/home/fluxxdog/pcgen/data/homebrew/massive/FeatsAbil/NewAbilityCat.lst.

      So it doesn't work but really I don't see a need for it as there are easy
      way around that as I suggested above.
      --
      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      ~ PCGen Board of Directors
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 8, 2009
        Accessing archive from "Eddy Anthony"...
        Archive found in file
        > Michael W. Fender scribed:
        > >>
        > >> OK, but what is it?
        > >
        > > The class this is going for is allowed a choice of bonuses feats limited
        > > to Wizards feats, but none of the broad categories. For example,
        > > ItemCreation, Metamagic, or (from Complete Mage) Reserve feats are not
        > > allowable choices. In other words, TYPE:Wizard.
        >
        > So you are trying to MOD the Wizard Feat pool to remove
        > TYPE:ItemCreation.Metamagic from it?

        No...

        > Doesn't seem the right way to go, why no just make a new pool for this
        > class that is JUST TYPE:Wizard?

        That's what I'm trying to do, but in order to make sure the Wizard has access
        to the appropriate feats, I have to be able to MOD the Wizard Feat
        ABILITYCATEGORY so he has access to the new TYPEs of feats he's supposed to
        have access to while the other class doesn't.

        I should end up having something like this:
        ABILITYCATEGORY:Wizard Feat.MOD TYPE:Whatever.New.Stuff.Reserve
        ABILITYCATEGORY:New Class Feat TYPE:Wizard

        > > Honestly, this also brings up the issue of the
        > > redundancy of labeling Brew Potion (and other such feats) as both an
        > > ItemCreation and Wizard feat since the ABILITYCATEGORY already defines
        > > those types as inclusive, but that's for another day ^^
        >
        > Probably it was to make the ADD:FEAT tag we used to use for that short and
        > sweet.

        So would it be OK to put in a DATA FReq to remove that redundancy? Keep the
        code neat and appropriate to the rules and all that. For example, with the
        RSRD:
        "At 5th, 10th, 15th, and 20th level, a wizard gains a bonus feat. At each such
        opportunity, she can choose a metamagic feat, an item creation feat, or Spell
        Mastery."
        ...meaning Spell Mastery really should be the only feat in the basics listed
        as a TYPE:Wizard feat. Since we have the pools, I'd think this would be the
        better way to go. And such a clean up should not affect any characters since
        the feat pools were implemented since all the ItemCreation and Metamagic feats
        qualify on those types regardless of the Wizard type.

        > >> Offhand that looks like the easiest way to go. I take
        > >> it you tried MODing ABILITYCATEGORY and it didn't work?
        > >
        > > No, I hadn't. I went to make sure it was allowable first, since I've
        > > been told "If it's not in the docs, it shouldn't work" and since I didn't
        > > see mention in the docs, I figured I'd ask. And for the record, when I
        > > try this line:
        > >
        > > ABILITYCATEGORY:Wizard Feat.MOD TYPE:Fighter
        > >
        > > ...I get this error:
        > >
        > > LSTERROR TYPE is not valid in 'parent' category Wizard Feat.MOD of
        > > file:/home/fluxxdog/pcgen/data/homebrew/massive/FeatsAbil/NewAbilityCat.l
        > >st.
        >
        > So it doesn't work but really I don't see a need for it as there are easy
        > way around that as I suggested above.

        See above...
        --
        Fluxxdog

        think.
      • Eddy Anthony
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 8, 2009
          Michael W. Fender scribed:

          >> Doesn't seem the right way to go, why no just make a new pool for this
          >> class that is JUST TYPE:Wizard?
          >
          > That's what I'm trying to do, but in order to make sure the Wizard has access
          > to the appropriate feats, I have to be able to MOD the Wizard Feat
          > ABILITYCATEGORY so he has access to the new TYPEs of feats he's supposed to
          > have access to while the other class doesn't.

          OK so why involve the Wizard pool at all? Just make a new pool and a new
          type for that pool and MOD the feats with the new type.

          The sole purpose of the Wizard type is to make a feat part of the Wizard
          bonus feat list, it sounds like you are trying to expand that usage.
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 8, 2009
            Accessing archive from "Eddy Anthony"...
            Archive found in file
            > Michael W. Fender scribed:
            > >> Doesn't seem the right way to go, why no just make a new pool for this
            > >> class that is JUST TYPE:Wizard?
            > >
            > > That's what I'm trying to do, but in order to make sure the Wizard has
            > > access to the appropriate feats, I have to be able to MOD the Wizard Feat
            > > ABILITYCATEGORY so he has access to the new TYPEs of feats he's supposed
            > > to have access to while the other class doesn't.
            >
            > OK so why involve the Wizard pool at all? Just make a new pool and a new
            > type for that pool and MOD the feats with the new type.
            >
            > The sole purpose of the Wizard type is to make a feat part of the Wizard
            > bonus feat list, it sounds like you are trying to expand that usage.

            Heh, here's the funny part about that... That'd mean going through over 50
            sources we use and altering those feats in each one, not to mention making
            sure future additions abide by that as well. I'm not trying to reinvent the
            wheel here, I'm just trying to smooth the edges :)

            In any case, using MOD for an ABILITYCATEGORY is going to have be a FReq,
            right?
            --
            Fluxxdog

            think.
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 8, 2009
              Yes, that would be a FREQ.

              Might as well go the full mile if you're going to freq this:

              Add .MOD to ABILITYCATEGORY
              Add .CLEAR to ABILITYCATEGORY
              Add .COPY to ABILITYCATEGORY

              Does that cover your foreseeable needs?

              Let me know if this is what we want.

              Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

              Michael W. Fender wrote:
              > Accessing archive from "Eddy Anthony"...
              > Archive found in file
              >
              >> Michael W. Fender scribed:

              >>> That's what I'm trying to do, but in order to make sure the Wizard has
              >>> access to the appropriate feats, I have to be able to MOD the Wizard Feat
              >>> ABILITYCATEGORY so he has access to the new TYPEs of feats he's supposed
              >>> to have access to while the other class doesn't.
              >>>
              >> OK so why involve the Wizard pool at all? Just make a new pool and a new
              >> type for that pool and MOD the feats with the new type.
              >>
              >> The sole purpose of the Wizard type is to make a feat part of the Wizard
              >> bonus feat list, it sounds like you are trying to expand that usage.
              >>

              > Heh, here's the funny part about that... That'd mean going through over 50
              > sources we use and altering those feats in each one, not to mention making
              > sure future additions abide by that as well. I'm not trying to reinvent the
              > wheel here, I'm just trying to smooth the edges :)
              >
              > In any case, using MOD for an ABILITYCATEGORY is going to have be a FReq,
              > right?

            • Eddy Anthony
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 8, 2009
                Michael W. Fender scribed:

                > Accessing archive from "Eddy Anthony"...
                > Archive found in file
                >> Michael W. Fender scribed:
                >>>
                >>> That's what I'm trying to do, but in order to make sure the Wizard has
                >>> access to the appropriate feats, I have to be able to MOD the Wizard Feat
                >>> ABILITYCATEGORY so he has access to the new TYPEs of feats he's supposed
                >>> to have access to while the other class doesn't.
                >>
                >> OK so why involve the Wizard pool at all? Just make a new pool and a new
                >> type for that pool and MOD the feats with the new type.
                >>
                >> The sole purpose of the Wizard type is to make a feat part of the Wizard
                >> bonus feat list, it sounds like you are trying to expand that usage.
                >
                > Heh, here's the funny part about that... That'd mean going through over 50
                > sources we use and altering those feats in each one, not to mention making
                > sure future additions abide by that as well. I'm not trying to reinvent the
                > wheel here, I'm just trying to smooth the edges :)

                I don't follow. What would mean making this large number of changes?

                Perhaps some confusion follows from the fact that types are used for
                different things. General, Itemcreation and Metamagic represent groups of
                feats defined by the Source text, while Fighter and Wizard are types we data
                monkeys have created to group bonus feat pools. Game wise there are no
                Wizard type feats, only feats Wizards can take as a bonus feat. So a feat
                that has Wizard.Itemcreation is not really a redundancy as it is an
                overlapping of purposes.

                > In any case, using MOD for an ABILITYCATEGORY is going to have be a FReq,
                > right?

                Yes, I'm just unconvinced of it's need.
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 8, 2009
                  Accessing archive from "Eddy Anthony"...
                  Archive found in file
                  > Michael W. Fender scribed:
                  > > Accessing archive from "Eddy Anthony"...
                  > > Archive found in file
                  > >
                  > >> Michael W. Fender scribed:

                  > >> OK so why involve the Wizard pool at all? Just make a new pool and a new
                  > >> type for that pool and MOD the feats with the new type.
                  > >>
                  > >> The sole purpose of the Wizard type is to make a feat part of the Wizard
                  > >> bonus feat list, it sounds like you are trying to expand that usage.
                  > >
                  > > Heh, here's the funny part about that... That'd mean going through over
                  > > 50 sources we use and altering those feats in each one, not to mention
                  > > making sure future additions abide by that as well. I'm not trying to
                  > > reinvent the wheel here, I'm just trying to smooth the edges :)
                  >
                  > I don't follow. What would mean making this large number of changes?

                  My groups have access to over 50 sources that we use for our campaigns that I
                  have to code fore, a lot of the WotC material.

                  > Perhaps some confusion follows from the fact that types are used for
                  > different things. General, Itemcreation and Metamagic represent groups of
                  > feats defined by the Source text, while Fighter and Wizard are types we
                  > data monkeys have created to group bonus feat pools. Game wise there are no
                  > Wizard type feats, only feats Wizards can take as a bonus feat. So a feat
                  > that has Wizard.Itemcreation is not really a redundancy as it is an
                  > overlapping of purposes.

                  As things work now, having TYPE:Wizard identifies it as part of the Wizard
                  Feat pool. Having TYPE:ItemCreation identifies it as part of the Wizard Feat
                  pool. If the only purpose of TYPE:Wizard is to identify it as part of the
                  Wizard Feat pool, then having TYPE:Wizard.ItemCreation makes the Wizard type
                  redundant. Actually, unnecessary.

                  It's also inconsistent. The RSRD lists feats as Wizard.Metamagic or
                  Wizard.ItemCreation, but other sources don't add the Wizard type. For
                  example:

                  /data/d20ogl/fantasyflightgames/legendsandlairs/spellsandspellcraft/spellsspellcraft_feats.lst
                  ItemCreation feats are not typed as Wizard feats

                  > > In any case, using MOD for an ABILITYCATEGORY is going to have be a FReq,
                  > > right?
                  >
                  > Yes, I'm just unconvinced of it's need.

                  I found the book of Eldritch Might. This is an example of where a MOD could
                  be used easily. Eldritch feats can be chosen as Wizard bonus feats simply by
                  TYPE:Eldritch. Why should dozens of adjustments be made to implement one
                  adjustment? The rule of "Wizard may choose Eldritch feats" is suggested as
                  optional. A person should be able to have such a simple adjustment at hand.
                  Why MOD every single Eldritch feat to allow a Wizard to choose it when a MOD
                  to the Wizard Feat ABILITYCATEGORY will not only ensure those work properly
                  but future ones without having to detail future feats? "Why is this new
                  Eldritch feat I made not showing up for my Wizard? All the other do!"
                  MODding the ABILITYCATEGORY would take care of that for good.

                  Base line is, making the MOD available in such a manner can make the LST
                  coding easier for home users, kinda like how templates are routinely used to
                  implement different house rules.
                  --
                  Fluxxdog

                  think.
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 8, 2009
                    >> In any case, using MOD for an ABILITYCATEGORY is going to have be a FReq,
                    >> right?
                    >
                    > Yes, I'm just unconvinced of it's need.

                    I am.

                    Pathfinder has the ABILITYLIST tag, which specifies a set a feats w/
                    specific choices of those feats.

                    If I want to modify the Fey Bloodline, I'd have to make a new
                    CATEGORY, and change all the references to BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Fey
                    Bloodline Feat| to my new one. All to add Skill Focus(Knowledge (The
                    Planes)) to the list of choices (for say, a campaign that makes Fey
                    more 'other-worldly'...

                    That's jumping through hoops. Something I associate with a work-around.

                    As an Aside: TYPE:Wizard was not done for Spell Mastery - the
                    original had it set up as an addition to TYPEs in the ADD:FEAT. The
                    TYPE reference was added for a FReq for support for ppl that wanted to
                    use Complete ?Mage? - where some extra feats were granted to the list
                    of choices, with specific Specialists getting other options....

                  • Michael W. Fender
                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 8, 2009
                      Accessing archive from "Tir Gwaith"...
                      Archive found in file
                      > >> In any case, using MOD for an ABILITYCATEGORY is going to have be a
                      > >> FReq, right?
                      > >
                      > > Yes, I'm just unconvinced of it's need.
                      >
                      > I am.
                      >
                      > Pathfinder has the ABILITYLIST tag, which specifies a set a feats w/
                      > specific choices of those feats.
                      >
                      > If I want to modify the Fey Bloodline, I'd have to make a new
                      > CATEGORY, and change all the references to BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Fey
                      > Bloodline Feat| to my new one. All to add Skill Focus(Knowledge (The
                      > Planes)) to the list of choices (for say, a campaign that makes Fey
                      > more 'other-worldly'...
                      >
                      > That's jumping through hoops. Something I associate with a work-around.

                      ...whereas a MOD could just let you add the Skill Focus without a circus
                      trick.

                      > As an Aside: TYPE:Wizard was not done for Spell Mastery - the
                      > original had it set up as an addition to TYPEs in the ADD:FEAT. The
                      > TYPE reference was added for a FReq for support for ppl that wanted to
                      > use Complete ?Mage? - where some extra feats were granted to the list
                      > of choices, with specific Specialists getting other options....

                      One feat I'm looking at from Complete Mage that you're talking about requires
                      Spell Focus (Illusion) and Illusionist level 1st (PREFEAT and PRECLASS, to be
                      sure), but something like that would certainly have to have TYPE:Wizard to
                      make sure it would show up in the list of Wizard feats.

                      That's what I was talking about with the redundancy. A Metamagic feat doesn't
                      need TYPE:Wizard now. Put simply: Each Metamagic and ItemCreation type in the
                      RSRD is taking up extra memory with TYPE:Wizard for no rational reason now
                      that the ability pools have been added.

                      Trackers have been raised for the .MOD and for .CLEAR[ALL] per private
                      discussion with LegacyKing at:
                      https://sourceforge.net/tracker2/?func=detail&aid=2580529&group_id=25576&atid=384722
                      https://sourceforge.net/tracker2/?func=detail&aid=2580532&group_id=25576&atid=384722

                      I'll let higher up have final say from there :p However, I still have to
                      question whether a FReq for cleaning up unneeded Wizard types should be made.
                      If they're not needed anymore with the ItemCreation and Metamagic feats,
                      should we leave them be or get rid of them before they actually do cause a
                      problem?
                      --
                      Fluxxdog

                      think.
                    • Tom Parker
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 8, 2009
                        As you've found, this doesn't work.

                        As far as a FREQ, I feel this is a challenging problem, as it builds
                        on an already difficult foundation (and potentially violates a deeply
                        held assumption about Ability Categories - mainly that they exist
                        before they are used)

                        The addition of .MOD changes that - for many reasons. The ability to
                        use CATEGORY, or alter the key of the Ability Category in a .MOD
                        wreaks havoc on the pre-constructed assumption. (And no, preventing
                        the use of certain tokens in a .MOD doesn't make this problem easier;
                        as we have no code that does that today, it only makes it a different,
                        and potentially more difficult, problem)

                        Already, our data is in a position where changes I plan to make in
                        5.17 will cause errors due to references to non-existent ability
                        categories (exposing a similar problem that already exists in our
                        current data)

                        The challenge is that "Ability Category" is not simply an object like
                        other objects, it is a rather deeply rooted object, upon which
                        Abilities are built.

                        The problem is that there are certain game modes (35e) that reference
                        some AbilityCategories (e.g. Special Ability) that are not in the game
                        mode.

                        ...and before anyone starts making claims about it being in the RSRD,
                        *it doesn't matter*. To the game mode, those ability category files
                        don't exist (Game modes load when PCGen is launched)

                        Therefore, the 35e gamemode places a dependency on the datasets which
                        use it (in particular, to implement the "Special Ability" category).
                        This is - in my opinion - less than ideal (especially since we don't
                        have a method of documenting those things), and if the PRExxx tokens
                        were up to the standard of the rebuilt tokens, then this would already
                        be a problem.

                        This will result in one of two things occurring in 5.17:
                        (1) The data gets updated to put "Special Ability" back into the Game
                        Mode to avoid preconstruction.
                        (2) The input system and core get rebuilt to allow for deferred
                        creation of all ability category references (with all of the penalties
                        of dereferencing)

                        Either way, this issue needs to get resolved in order to even be able
                        to define how a .MOD/.COPY/.FORGET etc. would behave.

                        TP.
                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 8, 2009
                          > As far as a FREQ, I feel this is a challenging problem, as it builds
                          > on an already difficult foundation (and potentially violates a deeply
                          > held assumption about Ability Categories - mainly that they exist
                          > before they are used)

                          Which means all abilitycategory.lst files get loaded, .MOD'd, etc.
                          FIRST, then move on to start loading all other files.

                          > The addition of .MOD changes that - for many reasons. The ability to
                          > use CATEGORY, or alter the key of the Ability Category in a .MOD
                          > wreaks havoc on the pre-constructed assumption. (And no, preventing
                          > the use of certain tokens in a .MOD doesn't make this problem easier;
                          > as we have no code that does that today, it only makes it a different,
                          > and potentially more difficult, problem)

                          See below....

                          <snip some other good stuff, but not needed to repeat here.>

                          > Therefore, the 35e gamemode places a dependency on the datasets which
                          > use it (in particular, to implement the "Special Ability" category).
                          > This is - in my opinion - less than ideal (especially since we don't
                          > have a method of documenting those things), and if the PRExxx tokens
                          > were up to the standard of the rebuilt tokens, then this would already
                          > be a problem.
                          >
                          > This will result in one of two things occurring in 5.17:
                          > (1) The data gets updated to put "Special Ability" back into the Game
                          > Mode to avoid preconstruction.
                          > (2) The input system and core get rebuilt to allow for deferred
                          > creation of all ability category references (with all of the penalties
                          > of dereferencing)

                          I didn't know the Parent "Special Ability" was removed from GameMode.
                          That doesn't really make sense to me. (For that matter, the GameMode
                          references a specific Data object - Uncanny Dodge - which gets weird
                          for a GameMode..)

                          Penalties of dereferencing besides slowness in recalculation are? I
                          can guess, but I think I'd rather have it spelled out so I'm not
                          making bad assumptions.

                          > Either way, this issue needs to get resolved in order to even be able
                          > to define how a .MOD/.COPY/.FORGET etc. would behave.

                          Personally, I'd leave the Parent's un-moddable, and allow the
                          Child-nodes re-definable.

                          We are getting into the messy business discussed when we first asked
                          for GameMode stuff in PCC references (I think it was the Rules file
                          discussion where it first game up) - changing stuff gets _MESSY_.

                          I personally see the parent definitions as a part of defining an DB
                          array, and the children (TYPE filter, now ABILITYLIST) as a relational
                          link. Changing a relational link means re-calculating what is linked
                          and what isn't. Re-defining a DB array means dumping memory and
                          basically starting over (or losing data).

                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 8, 2009
                            > I'll let higher up have final say from there :p However, I still have to
                            > question whether a FReq for cleaning up unneeded Wizard types should be made.
                            > If they're not needed anymore with the ItemCreation and Metamagic feats,
                            > should we leave them be or get rid of them before they actually do cause a
                            > problem?

                            Not needed anymore.. Ok, I'm going to have to ponder that a bit. I
                            now see we added TYPE:Wizard to all the ItemCreation and Metamagic
                            feats. Makes it a bit like the MSRD type set-up, and I'm not exactly
                            sure why that was done, unless it was someone's idea of help on the UI
                            side. We've done that with a number of Equipment TYPEs....

                          • Michael W. Fender
                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 8, 2009
                              Accessing archive from "Tom Parker"...
                              Archive found in file
                              > As you've found, this doesn't work.
                              >
                              > As far as a FREQ, I feel this is a challenging problem, as it builds
                              > on an already difficult foundation (and potentially violates a deeply
                              > held assumption about Ability Categories - mainly that they exist
                              > before they are used)
                              >
                              > The addition of .MOD changes that - for many reasons. The ability to
                              > use CATEGORY, or alter the key of the Ability Category in a .MOD
                              > wreaks havoc on the pre-constructed assumption. (And no, preventing
                              > the use of certain tokens in a .MOD doesn't make this problem easier;
                              > as we have no code that does that today, it only makes it a different,
                              > and potentially more difficult, problem)
                              >
                              > Already, our data is in a position where changes I plan to make in
                              > 5.17 will cause errors due to references to non-existent ability
                              > categories (exposing a similar problem that already exists in our
                              > current data)
                              >
                              > The challenge is that "Ability Category" is not simply an object like
                              > other objects, it is a rather deeply rooted object, upon which
                              > Abilities are built.
                              >
                              > The problem is that there are certain game modes (35e) that reference
                              > some AbilityCategories (e.g. Special Ability) that are not in the game
                              > mode.

                              I see what you're saying. Case in point, the AC Types in the 35e game mode:
                              ACTYPE:Flatfooted ADD:TOTAL REMOVE:Ability|
                              PRESTAT:1,DEX=10|!PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,Uncanny Dodge
                              REMOVE:Dodge|!PREABILITY:1,CATEGORY=Special Ability,Uncanny Dodge

                              It's already referencing a Special Ability, one that, in fact, doesn't exist
                              until the RSRD is loaded. The only ability categories that are already
                              defined in the game mode are FEAT and Internal.

                              > ...and before anyone starts making claims about it being in the RSRD,
                              > *it doesn't matter*. To the game mode, those ability category files
                              > don't exist (Game modes load when PCGen is launched)
                              >
                              > Therefore, the 35e gamemode places a dependency on the datasets which
                              > use it (in particular, to implement the "Special Ability" category).
                              > This is - in my opinion - less than ideal (especially since we don't
                              > have a method of documenting those things), and if the PRExxx tokens
                              > were up to the standard of the rebuilt tokens, then this would already
                              > be a problem.

                              Circular dependency. A needs B, B needs A, but you can't load one without the
                              other. Ewww...

                              > This will result in one of two things occurring in 5.17:
                              > (1) The data gets updated to put "Special Ability" back into the Game
                              > Mode to avoid preconstruction.

                              I'd be lying if I didn't say this should be the case. IMHO, since a vast
                              number of abilties depend on that category alone, let alone the use of the
                              category in the game mode itself, it should exist with the game mode.
                              Question though: As far the ACTYPE tag goes, if a data set is loaded that
                              didn't have Uncanny Dodge at all, would PCGen throw an error?

                              > (2) The input system and core get rebuilt to allow for deferred
                              > creation of all ability category references (with all of the penalties
                              > of dereferencing)

                              And that sounds like a lot of work that shouldn't have to be done.

                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 8, 2009
                                --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Michael W. Fender"
                                <fluxxdog@...> wrote:
                                > Question though: As far the ACTYPE tag goes, if a data set is loaded
                                that
                                > didn't have Uncanny Dodge at all, would PCGen throw an error?

                                No, but it should. It only succeeds because the PRExxx tokens are not
                                "rebuilt" tokens. Once that changes in 5.17, then yes, it would (as
                                it should) produce an "Unconstructed Reference"

                                TP.
                              • Michael W. Fender
                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 8, 2009
                                  Accessing archive from "Tir Gwaith"...
                                  Archive found in file
                                  > > I'll let higher up have final say from there :p However, I still have to
                                  > > question whether a FReq for cleaning up unneeded Wizard types should be
                                  > > made. If they're not needed anymore with the ItemCreation and Metamagic
                                  > > feats, should we leave them be or get rid of them before they actually do
                                  > > cause a problem?
                                  >
                                  > Not needed anymore.. Ok, I'm going to have to ponder that a bit. I
                                  > now see we added TYPE:Wizard to all the ItemCreation and Metamagic
                                  > feats. Makes it a bit like the MSRD type set-up, and I'm not exactly
                                  > sure why that was done, unless it was someone's idea of help on the UI
                                  > side. We've done that with a number of Equipment TYPEs....

                                  What I understood from what Eddy was saying, the only purpose of it was to
                                  have feats with the 'Wizard type show up as a "Wizard Feat". Such as for
                                  CHOOSE or ADD tags. Using it with an ItemCreation/Metamagic type feat is
                                  pointless now, and with other LST files, this does not seem to be the standard
                                  as those feats are listed as only ItemCreation/Metamagic, no Wizard.

                                  --
                                  Fluxxdog

                                  think.
                                • Tom Parker
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Feb 8, 2009
                                    --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Tir Gwaith <Tir.Gwaith@...>
                                    wrote:
                                    > Which means all abilitycategory.lst files get loaded, .MOD'd, etc.
                                    > FIRST, then move on to start loading all other files.

                                    This sounds simple, but is very different from how we load data
                                    today... thus will require us to move around processing in order to
                                    ensure that behavior (which brings up risks of breaking other things
                                    that make assumptions based on the current order - such as the
                                    assumption that STATs are pre-built.) Not saying it can't be done,
                                    but it's work and we need to evaluate the impact of that change.

                                    > [Parent "Special Ability" being removed from GameMode]
                                    > doesn't really make sense to me.

                                    Me either, but I didn't notice the reference in the game mode until a
                                    few days ago.

                                    > (For that matter, the GameMode
                                    > references a specific Data object - Uncanny Dodge - which gets weird
                                    > for a GameMode..)

                                    I suspect we'd want to change this to a variable at some point?

                                    > Penalties of dereferencing besides slowness in recalculation are? I
                                    > can guess, but I think I'd rather have it spelled out so I'm not
                                    > making bad assumptions.

                                    To the user, processing time. Memory, too, but that's minor. To me,
                                    I have to rethink processing Abilities from the Ability LST file,
                                    since it's currently indexed by AbilityCategory. I have to think if
                                    indexing by a reference is a problem or not. I'm honestly not sure
                                    given the 5 minutes of thought I've given it so far :)

                                    > > Either way, this issue needs to get resolved in order to even be able
                                    > > to define how a .MOD/.COPY/.FORGET etc. would behave.
                                    >
                                    > Personally, I'd leave the Parent's un-moddable, and allow the
                                    > Child-nodes re-definable.

                                    Neat idea, but this might be harder than just making everything
                                    changeable. Of course, this concept also interacts with the whole
                                    "let's split ability categories into the multiple separate functions
                                    they perform" (This is the whole category/pool discussion/FREQ

                                    TP.
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Feb 8, 2009
                                      I would venture a guess that these were added the following reasons:

                                      ADD:FEAT usage - Homebrews likely still use this method
                                      UI - Clean Look for older versions
                                      Overlap of Uses - Any new 'wizard' feat can just add the TYPE:Wizard
                                      to be included in the Old and New systems
                                      Seemed like a good idea at the time.

                                      Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

                                      Michael W. Fender wrote:
                                      > Accessing archive from "Tir Gwaith"...
                                      > Archive found in file
                                      >
                                      >>> I'll let higher up have final say from there :p However, I still have to
                                      >>> question whether a FReq for cleaning up unneeded Wizard types should be
                                      >>> made. If they're not needed anymore with the ItemCreation and Metamagic
                                      >>> feats, should we leave them be or get rid of them before they actually do
                                      >>> cause a problem?
                                      >>>
                                      >> Not needed anymore.. Ok, I'm going to have to ponder that a bit. I
                                      >> now see we added TYPE:Wizard to all the ItemCreation and Metamagic
                                      >> feats. Makes it a bit like the MSRD type set-up, and I'm not exactly
                                      >> sure why that was done, unless it was someone's idea of help on the UI
                                      >> side. We've done that with a number of Equipment TYPEs....
                                      >>

                                      > What I understood from what Eddy was saying, the only purpose of it was to
                                      > have feats with the 'Wizard type show up as a "Wizard Feat". Such as for
                                      > CHOOSE or ADD tags. Using it with an ItemCreation/Metamagic type feat is
                                      > pointless now, and with other LST files, this does not seem to be the standard
                                      > as those feats are listed as only ItemCreation/Metamagic, no Wizard.

                                    • taluroniscandar
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Feb 12, 2009
                                        <drew0500@...> wrote:

                                        > Yes, that would be a FREQ.
                                        >
                                        > Might as well go the full mile if you're going to freq this:
                                        >
                                        > Add .MOD to ABILITYCATEGORY
                                        > Add .CLEAR to ABILITYCATEGORY
                                        > Add .COPY to ABILITYCATEGORY
                                        >
                                        > Does that cover your foreseeable needs?
                                        >
                                        > Let me know if this is what we want.
                                        >
                                        > ---------

                                        Just FYI, I am updating my lst files to 5.15 (from .12 or so)
                                        I have a .MOD on All Automatics Proficiencies and got the same error
                                        as the OP.

                                        Under the .MOD documentation there is this entry:
                                        -----------------------------------
                                        CATEGORY=Mutation|Weak Immune System.MOD

                                        Modifies an ability of the category Mutation, which is called Weak
                                        Immune System. Another ability of the same name, which belongs to
                                        another category, would not be affected.
                                        -----------------------------------

                                        I changed mine into this format and the pcgen lst loader no longer
                                        complains about the .MOD.

                                        CATEGORY=Special Ability|All Automatic Proficiencies.MOD
                                        [TAB]
                                        AUTO:WEAPONPROF|etc|etc

                                        Havent tried it yet but at least the loader in 5.15.9 thinks this
                                        works. Some of the functionality may already be there.
                                      • Michael W. Fender
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Feb 12, 2009
                                          Accessing archive from "taluroniscandar"...
                                          Archive found in file
                                          > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Maitland
                                          >
                                          > <drew0500@...> wrote:
                                          > > Yes, that would be a FREQ.
                                          > >
                                          > > Might as well go the full mile if you're going to freq this:
                                          > >
                                          > > Add .MOD to ABILITYCATEGORY
                                          > > Add .CLEAR to ABILITYCATEGORY
                                          > > Add .COPY to ABILITYCATEGORY
                                          > >
                                          > > Does that cover your foreseeable needs?
                                          > >
                                          > > Let me know if this is what we want.
                                          > >
                                          > > ---------
                                          >
                                          > Just FYI, I am updating my lst files to 5.15 (from .12 or so)
                                          > I have a .MOD on All Automatics Proficiencies and got the same error
                                          > as the OP.
                                          >
                                          > Under the .MOD documentation there is this entry:
                                          > -----------------------------------
                                          > CATEGORY=Mutation|Weak Immune System.MOD
                                          >
                                          > Modifies an ability of the category Mutation, which is called Weak
                                          > Immune System. Another ability of the same name, which belongs to
                                          > another category, would not be affected.
                                          >
                                          > I changed mine into this format and the pcgen lst loader no longer
                                          > complains about the .MOD.
                                          >
                                          > CATEGORY=Special Ability|All Automatic Proficiencies.MOD
                                          > [TAB]
                                          > AUTO:WEAPONPROF|etc|etc

                                          I have the same thing for Touch spells. It works perfectly fine now.

                                          --
                                          Fluxxdog

                                          think.