Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] DEFINE and formulas

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2009
      On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 5:35 AM, Stefan Radermacher
      <radermacher@...> wrote:
      > Is there a real reason we usually do this in data files
      >
      > DEFINE:MyVariable|0
      > BONUS:VAR|MyVariable|<some Formula>
      >
      > instead of using this directly:
      >
      > DEFINE:MyVariable|<some Formula>
      >
      > A lot of complexity could possibly be saved on datasets.

      Long term maintenance, since you only have to look in BONUS VARs, and
      not various DEFINEs in different objects. Trust me, I've had plenty
      of first-hand experience on that. You don't need it everywhere, but
      CORE sets assume other added on objects from other sets that will have
      potential BONUS:VARs.

      From our LST Standards page:

      For Variables that will have a BONUS:VAR| in another object than where
      it is DEFINEd, or if it will be DEFINEd in more than one object, the
      standard is DEFINE:<name>|0 and leaving all numbers to
      BONUS:VAR|<name>| statements.

    • Stefan Radermacher
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2009
        Thanks for the explanation!